ryzst
Premium Member
join:2004-06-14
Tustin, CA

1 recommendation

ryzst

Premium Member

[FYI] Be careful upgrading to OS X Mavericks

This is a heads-up to people considering upgrading to OS X Mavericks. I did so and lost the use of Photoshop CS2. Many forums say it’s buggy all the way up to CS6. Trying to restart the program gives an error message 'Power-PC Applications no longer supported'.

Anyway, I won’t be doing any more panoramas or other photo editing for a while now. The new OS is otherwise very nice, and fixed a number of issues I had with the iMac, but losing Photoshop really hurts. So stay away from upgrading to Mavericks if you value Photoshop.

Red_Menace
poking around since 1978
join:2001-11-03
Fruita, CO

Red_Menace

I always keep the previous system on another partition so that it is available if something is not compatible. And by the way, Apple stopped using the PPC processor in 2006 or so...

ryzst
Premium Member
join:2004-06-14
Tustin, CA

ryzst

Premium Member

I bought my 27" iMac with an i7 chip in 2010, so that's interesting news.

The Photoshop CC rental is also a scam, so that's not an option. This could be Adobe's 'New Coke' moment.

SueS
Premium Member
join:2007-05-16
Macon, MO

1 recommendation

SueS to ryzst

Premium Member

to ryzst
You can do quite a bit of editing and stitching with the software that comes with your Canon camera. I use DPP for the raw images, but I have not tried the stitching or HDR. I would try those if I had nothing else.
I have an older copy of Photoshop, but I just got started using GIMP, and it does everything I need.

WaxPhoto
Premium Member
join:2004-04-08
Fort Wayne, IN

WaxPhoto to ryzst

Premium Member

to ryzst
said by ryzst:

I bought my 27" iMac with an i7 chip in 2010, so that's interesting news.

The Photoshop CC rental is also a scam, so that's not an option. This could be Adobe's 'New Coke' moment.

CS2, however, is old enough that it was coded for ppc compatibility - probably coded natively for ppc (wiki says it came out may 2005). I would guess that up til 10.9 Mavericks, CS2 was allowed to run in some sort of PPC emulator mode of OS X. Apple has always been somewhat ruthless with the forced upgrage cycle.

Me, I went for the CC, as much as I dislike software as rental. 10 bucks a month for it and lightroom are fine for now. Hopefully by the time they ratchet up the price I'll be able to import 16 bit depth psds into Gimp with all 16 bits kept intact. There is a lot of free software out there... I like the Gimp & UFraw combo build from partha.com. I've heard good things about hugin for stitching and it is also f/oss and GPL software.

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo to ryzst

Premium Member

to ryzst
Lion (10.7, two versions ago in 2011) killed off support for native PPC programs.

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium Member
join:2001-11-02
New York, NY

Stacy to ryzst

Premium Member

to ryzst
said by ryzst:

I'm running CS 6 on my 2012 Mac Mini - no subscription needed and Adobe still provides limited support. I just downloaded ACR 8.x last week Maybe you can find an upgrade on Ebay?

Lightroom 5 is a decent alternative to PhotoShop if you don't need layers and other more advanced editing tools. I think the full version goes for about $150 if you choose not to subscribe to CC.