1 recommendation

nitzguy to Doonz

Premium Member

to Doonz

Re: Gas prices - On a massive spike once again

said by Doonz:

said by Gone:

said by Doonz:

Why would we be apologizing for helping Canada's economy?

We could just send back everyone from Ontario?

Thanks for proving my point.

Not really,

For everyone 1 job at site 9 more are created in support roles. Another 12 are created in service roles.

So if site has 4k people roughly 84k people are employed because of it.

So again Why should we apologize?

What's your source on this?

People tell me this about mining all the time and it's a total crock. More like 3 or 4 not 20 jobs are created as a result.
NefCanuck
join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

NefCanuck to mr weather

to mr weather
said by mr weather:

Price around here crept up two cents this morning.

Yup got the two cent surprise when I went to Aurora to deliver my old iPhone to its new home today.

Still a hell of a lot cheaper than the last time I filled up though, $1.329 for the good stuff (V Power)

I'll enjoy it while it lasts...

NefCanuck
Doonz (banned)
join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB

Doonz (banned) to nitzguy

to nitzguy
said by nitzguy:

People tell me this about mining all the time and it's a total crock. More like 3 or 4 not 20 jobs are created as a result.

Mining, Sagd

Was put out by Oil producers last year.

My department is 3 bodies, our support company is 1200 people. our direct support is 52 employees
btech805
join:2013-08-01
Canada

btech805 to Mashiki

to Mashiki
And for every job directly in the oil field, there's a few usually 5 more created indirectly. Car salesmen, real estate agents, etc. That would not exist in what for all intents and purposes would be a giant patch of dirt had they not drilled or fracked.

As for the OP, $1.07 on innes Rd tonight

nitzguy
Premium Member
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy to Doonz

Premium Member

to Doonz
said by Doonz:

said by nitzguy:

Mining, Sagd

Was put out by Oil producers last year.

My department is 3 bodies, our support company is 1200 people. our direct support is 52 employees

I'd say your company was the exception rather than the norm. To have 3 bodies to support 52 is a little bit outrageous.

My department was 8 employees to support 3100 direct employees and about a thousand contractors at site here in Sudbury.

So, I stand by my statement that its a 3:1 or 4:1 at the best case scenario. Not a 20:1 creation ratio.

If that was the case, Vale alone with its 4000 workers would create 80,000 jobs and Glencore (Xstrata Nickel) with its about 1200 workers would create 24,000, totaling 104,000 jobs.

FYI, the workforce as per Statistics Canada is about 87,000.

Again I stand by my numbers.

As to the OP again gas remains steady in this area at a horrendous $1.269/L.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to Mashiki

Premium Member

to Mashiki
filled up tonight...the price of regular was 1.159.

Bender2000
Bite My Shiny Metal Ass
Premium Member
join:2002-05-06
J7W 8E4

Bender2000 to Mashiki

Premium Member

to Mashiki
Filled up last night at 1.259. This morning it's 1.359. I'm sure there's a very good reason the price had to jump exactly 0.100/L!

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

said by Bender2000:

Filled up last night at 1.259. This morning it's 1.359. I'm sure there's a very good reason the price had to jump exactly 0.100/L!

Of course, Greed
They're not making as much at the front end (extracting from the ground) so they'll make up in the backend (gas prices)
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

1 recommendation

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

said by elwoodblues:

They're not making as much at the front end (extracting from the ground) so they'll make up in the backend (gas prices)

We're sure getting it in the backend, that's all I know.
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to Bender2000

to Bender2000
said by Bender2000:

I'm putting away the V8 and switched to a 1.5L in my work van this fall.

Bring on the higher prices to support the Alberta leaches.

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG

Premium Member

so you're calling the people of Alberta leaches or the oil company's?

Mike2009
join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON

Mike2009

I paid $1.25 for premium last night in Kanata. Regular was $1.13. My car requires premium unfortunately.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

said by Mike2009:

I paid $1.25 for premium last night in Kanata. Regular was $1.13. My car requires premium unfortunately.

It's $1.20 in Toronto, just to show how we get burned, I filled at Costco for that 1.13

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

said by elwoodblues:

said by Mike2009:

It's $1.20 in Toronto, just to show how we get burned, I filled at Costco for that 1.13

That reminds me, the proposed Costco on the old Coke property on Overlea will include a gas station.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

said by donoreo:

said by elwoodblues:

said by Mike2009:

That reminds me, the proposed Costco on the old Coke property on Overlea will include a gas station.

That's going to be insane. The traffic is bad enough. Well at least it's closer to home (in a roundabout way) for me.

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to Mike2009

Premium Member

to Mike2009
said by Mike2009:

it's not really that big of a deal...if you drive about 20,000 kms/year, it usually works out to about $300/year more in gas...some of which you will recoup in improved fuel economy anyway...if you have the car you really want, i wouldn't let the $25/month be the deciding factor.

nitzguy
Premium Member
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy to Mashiki

Premium Member

to Mashiki
$1.411 for Premium up in these parts. $1.256 for regular...I feel like we're getting hosed still....but hey that's life up here .

Kitlope
join:2004-07-29
Edmonton, Ab

Kitlope to peterboro

to peterboro
said by peterboro:

You forgot the part about the almost 10 billion Alberta "donates" to the have not's. And yes, that now includes Ontario.

Filled up today at $102.9

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

said by Kitlope:

said by peterboro:

You forgot the part about the almost 10 billion Alberta "donates" to the have not's. And yes, that now includes Ontario.

Filled up today at $102.9

Ontario still sends more money to Ottawa then they get back.
mischief007
join:2011-03-07
Ingersoll, ON

mischief007 to Mashiki

to Mashiki
Just get along guys. There is no need for this kind of treatment. One country....

Filled up the summer car at $1.319. Last fill up for the season. Diesel is at about 1.04 in Thamesford.
LastDon
join:2002-08-13

LastDon to Mashiki

to Mashiki
»www.theglobeandmail.com/ ··· ite=true

Some more blah blah from Poloz sounding alarm bells.. This guy is a drama queen. Canada was fine before

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Canada was fine before because it had a manufacturing sector that benefited from a low Canadian dollar and low oil prices. That's all but been destroyed, and Ontario was too stupid and naive to ever believe oil would be cheap again and destroyed all of the things that made this province competitive for that type of industry. The federal government as well put all their eggs into the Alberta oil basket. Now it's coming back to bite them all in the ass.

When Alberta returns to have not status like it was in the past when oil prices were low, it won't be able to benefit from a strong Ontario economy and the transfer payments it provided like it did before.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

What happened to the Ontario manufacturing, and why?

Kitlope
join:2004-07-29
Edmonton, Ab

Kitlope

Just ask most from Ontario and they'll blame Alberta.

Funny thing is manufacturing jobs have disappeared on a large scale, for a variety of reasons, from the developed world. Millions upon millions of jobs lost that have been outsourced for the cheaper labour in third world countries. It's been in the making for decades and is no secret. It sucks but it's a reality.

But it's easier to blame Alberta.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Oh give me a fucking break. Alberta is not responsible for the rise in oil prices, nor is it responsible for Ontario's incompetence when it came to regulation and the hydro file that waged a double blow on manufacturing in the province.

The problem is that with falling oil prices, Canada as a whole has nothing to fall back to like it did in the 90s. And that is going to hurt us all, particularly Alberta.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

I'm optimistic about Canada.

[Saudi Arabia] has nothing but oil, sand, repression of half its population, and massive youth unemployment, so THEY are gonna be in trouble.

But Canada has massive natural resources (zinc, uranium, etc), large-scale argirulture, low debt, high technology, excellent worldwide reputation, hydroelectric power, close ties to both the Commonwealth countries and the US, the English language, stable government, a two-ocean presence....

The entire world needs to start moving away from addiction to oil (both as energy and as source of income). Canada may just have a bit of a head start.

But Canada will make money from oil for a long time yet especially once the Chinese get more and more thirsty vehicles.

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
said by Gone:

The federal government as well put all their eggs into the Alberta oil basket.

umm, we've had this discussion before, although it hasn't been you to make this claim...the Alberta tar sands account for MAYBE 2% of our nation's GDP...the oil and gas industry as a whole, accounts for about 4% of our nation's GDP...yes, it is an important sector, but it's not like 65% of our economy comes from the tar sands.
dirtyjeffer0

dirtyjeffer0 to PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer1
said by PX Eliezer1:

What happened to the Ontario manufacturing, and why?

a perfect storm of complex issues...energy prices, the value of our currency, labour issues and various tax/incentive rates...most businesses could manage/absorb one or two...many can't manage more than that, which is why many have left and few have come.

Mike2009
join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON

Mike2009 to Mashiki

to Mashiki
$1.07 here today.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

The non competiive cartel has raised their prices once again before the weekend. $1.17.4 at the majors.