uniqs

Cheese
Premium Member
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL

Cheese

Premium Member

Bought a used 4

But it still has the email associated from the previous owner, and I don't have the password, how would I wipe all that out to associate new ID?

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Hook it up to your computer in iTunes, it will ask to set up as a new phone it will wipe everything.

rjackal
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Plymouth, MI

rjackal to Cheese

Premium Member

to Cheese
»support.apple.com/kb/ht1414

Cheese
Premium Member
Naples, FL

Cheese

Premium Member

Ah, awesome, thanks guys!

Tinkster
Premium Member
join:2003-07-16
Rosedale, MD

Tinkster to Cheese

Premium Member

to Cheese
If they have it locked by Find my Phone your screwed unless you can get their itunes username and password. That is the new security feature in IOS 7.

You can wipe the device through itunes but it will eventually stop you if they did keep it on before giving it to you.

I have yet to find a viable solution for this other than jailbreaking.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

There's no public iCloud Activation exploit, so jailbreaking won't help if that's the case.

If it's not running iOS 7, you may be able to just restore using iTunes but I'm not sure what happens when you restore it to iOS 7. It may still be locked.
daveinpoway
Premium Member
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA

daveinpoway to Cheese

Premium Member

to Cheese
Is there any way that you can contact the previous owner to ask them for the password?

Cheese
Premium Member
Naples, FL

Cheese

Premium Member

I am trying to find the number to contact them :/

Tinkster
Premium Member
Rosedale, MD

Tinkster

Premium Member

Yeah without the information they sold you a nice brick.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

This is something that Apple needs to address somehow...

If the seller as an honest mistake forgets to wipe and remove the icloud account info from the device he's selling, how the heck is the buyer supposed to use the device? You can't expect the seller to give his iCloud info over to the buyer, because its got all sort of personal information on it, credit cards, and other devices that are attached to the account.

Apple needs to have a section in iCloud that will enable you to "forget" or "disassociate" a device from an existing account.

Tinkster
Premium Member
Rosedale, MD

Tinkster

Premium Member

Exactly just as easy as going to your icloud account and delete the device. I should test if this hold through good call.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to HiVolt

MVM,

to HiVolt
You can do that already. If a seller is refusing to, they're just bullshitting you.

»support.apple.com/kb/PH2 ··· le=en_US

Basically, login to iCloud and initiate a remote erase. After it's done, you remove it from your iCloud account and the buyer can activate it.
daveinpoway
Premium Member
Poway, CA

daveinpoway

Premium Member

The seller might have obtained the phone by less-than-honest means and they can't/won't provide the password because they don't know it (it is known by whoever they stole the phone from).

Cheese
Premium Member
Naples, FL

Cheese

Premium Member

Well, according to Verizon, it wasn't flagged as stolen since I had the person meet me at the Verizon store.

pcdebb
birdbrain
Premium Member
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
ARRIS DG1670

pcdebb to Cheese

Premium Member

to Cheese
sign them up for a few things since they were so irresponsible to not wipe that off the phone before selling it to you :-P

Seriously tho, I didn't realize it would be so hard to just dissasociate the apple ID? I've never tried but I guess it makes sense

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

said by pcdebb:

Seriously tho, I didn't realize it would be so hard to just dissasociate the apple ID? I've never tried but I guess it makes sense

It's a new feature that's supposed to deter theft. It makes the phone useless until the original owner either removes it from their account or logs in locally. Unfortunately, it has the bad side effect of people getting ripped off by the thieves until it's widely known that you can't buy an iPhone for $100 off craigslist or out of the back of a van anymore.

Or until people learn to check the iCloud status before purchasing. That is an area where Apple could probably improve the system. There could be a single "prepare phone for new user" button somewhere in settings that resets everything. When the phone comes back, there should be a way to verify with Apple that it's ready to go.

tango_bob
join:2001-12-16
Evanston, IL

tango_bob to Cheese

to Cheese
You stated that the iPhone has an email associated with it, is the Find My iPhone feature activated?

Cheese
Premium Member
Naples, FL

Cheese

Premium Member

How can I tell?
Cheese

Cheese to tango_bob

Premium Member

to tango_bob
Nevermind, I found it, looks like it was :/
Cheese

Cheese

Premium Member

More to the story, just found the phone number registered in the OS, sent a text to the number and the person called me back, turns out it WAS stolen but she never registered it as stolen. Apparently she let someone she knows use it and something happened. She is going to meet me Friday to get her stuff off and erase everything for me.

DevilOnE
Fozzie the buttplug, Vu the shitkicker
Premium Member
join:2003-12-12
Evansville, IN

DevilOnE to Cheese

Premium Member

to Cheese
Instead of hooking to iTunes , just go into Settngs > General > Reset > erase all content and settings.

Cheese
Premium Member
Naples, FL

Cheese

Premium Member

That's where it asks for a password.

Tinkster
Premium Member
Rosedale, MD

Tinkster to Cheese

Premium Member

to Cheese
Well that was at least nice of her to let you keep her iPad LOL.

Cheese
Premium Member
Naples, FL

Cheese

Premium Member

iphone but yea, she knows who took it too -_-
daveinpoway
Premium Member
Poway, CA

daveinpoway

Premium Member

The seller was obviously very brave to meet you at the Verizon store- if the store clerk had said the phone was stolen, he/she might have not been able to run out of the store before the police arrived.

So, I assume the seller knew (or strongly suspected) that the owner had not reported the theft.

Cheese
Premium Member
Naples, FL

Cheese

Premium Member

said by daveinpoway:

So, I assume the seller knew (or strongly suspected) that the owner had not reported the theft.

That's what I believe now.

Tinkster
Premium Member
Rosedale, MD

Tinkster to Cheese

Premium Member

to Cheese
Well I hope this will be a lesson learned to all here who may buy iPhone/iPad's from a non-retail environment. Check everything before dropping the cash.

Tex
Dave's not here
Premium Member
join:2012-10-20

Tex to Cheese

Premium Member

to Cheese
said by Cheese:

She is going to meet me Friday to get her stuff off and erase everything for me.

And, you believe her? How do you know she won't show up with the police?

Cheese
Premium Member
Naples, FL

Cheese

Premium Member

If she does, then she can have the phone back. I bought it and had it checked at Verizon and it checked out. That, IMO, isn't my issue.

Tex
Dave's not here
Premium Member
join:2012-10-20

Tex

Premium Member

All Verizon told you is it wasn't reported as stolen and I wasn't on the other end of the conversation with the owner. So, I can't judge from here what her intentions might or might not be. But, hey, I couldn't care less. Good luck. I hope it works out for you.