Premium Member
join:2001-12-03
Minnesota

Weasel

Premium Member

PNY SSD yay/nay?

Found this on Newegg this morning:
»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· -178-720

I haven't jumped onto the SSD bandwagon yet, $90 seems like good price, but I don't know anything about PNY's SSDs.

Anyone have one one/know anything about PNY's SSDs? From looking at the specs it isn't as fast as the Samsung EVO, but for the price...

Just looking for opinions.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

They look fine. I've used Vertex 2's, Samsung 840's, ADATA's, Dell's, etc. without issue.

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One to Weasel

MVM

to Weasel
They aren't the fastest SSDs around, but they are still much better than a mechanical drive. I have them in a few Dell laptops, and they are noticeably faster than identical models with the stock mechanical drives.
daveinpoway
Premium Member
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA

daveinpoway to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
If you are using Windows, there are quite a few SSD options. If you are using Mac or Linux, there are significant differences between vendors regarding how easy it is to update the SSD firmware from within non-Windows computers.

Tirael
BOHICA
Premium Member
join:2009-03-18
Sacramento, CA

Tirael to Weasel

Premium Member

to Weasel
Read speeds in the 500+ and write speeds in the 250+ region from most Passmarks done on them (read the reviews on newegg for links). It is a good starter SSD.

jap
Premium Member
join:2003-08-10
038xx

jap to Weasel

Premium Member

to Weasel
WeaseL,

Recommend you read this Anandtech article Understanding TLC NAND. It's very thorough and makes clear why SSD production costs vary so much. Pages 2 & 3 are most instructive.

In the two years since this piece was writ controllers have gotten technically better but it's still an evolving technology and quality & cost continue to play a major distinguishing difference in reliability. The relative gate wear/fail issues on SLC, MLC & TLC NAND have not much changed.

Learning what's inside any given maker's hardware version isn't often straight forward unless someone has ripped one open and reported on it. Last autumn I spoke on the phone with Team Group and they outright refused to disclose the NAND type used in their product citing "trade policy".