spc
Search similar:

uniqs
m078017
join:2008-07-22
Dover, NJ

m078017

[OOL] Arris Modem issue

I went to the Optimum store today to trade my Motorola Modem for an Arris 822G. I did this because Optimum told me this is a better Modem for their upgraded online speeds. I had no issue with the Motorola Modem.
I happen to notice with the Arris that my internet is running faster. But Im having an issue. Every few minutes while web-browsing, I get the message: Connection Was Reset by Server Try Again. It happens maybe every ten minutes or so out of the blue. And it seems to happen mostly if the websight contains photos, but Im not sure if is related or not.
Customer service has no idea what could be causing the issue. They say the signal is fine. A tech is coming out Sunday. Again, no problems like this with the Motorola Modem.
Anyone have any idea what might be wrong/ Thanks.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2

Premium Member

You could
Restart modem
Clear your browser cache

Millwood
Premium Member
join:2002-04-27
Millwood, NY

Millwood to m078017

Premium Member

to m078017
Look at the modem logs to see if it's recording any issues.

Boooost
@151.190.40.x

Boooost to m078017

Anon

to m078017
I suggest rebooting your PC and router (if any).
cOOLguy
join:2009-09-10
Suncook, NH

cOOLguy

try a new Ethernet cable if all else fails

limegrass69
No Whammies
join:2008-05-28

limegrass69 to m078017

to m078017
Good lesson here -- nothing was wrong with the Motorola modem...if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Famis
@174.236.67.x

Famis to m078017

Anon

to m078017
Did u have problems before you swapped? What model modem did u have prior? Why swap if everythif was good?

limegrass69
No Whammies

limegrass69

said by Famis :

Did u have problems before you swapped? What model modem did u have prior? Why swap if everythif was good?

He said that he was not having any problems. He just wanted what he thought was the "latest and greatest". I have the Motorola and get full Ultra 50 speeds with no issues, so why would I bother to switch?

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

1 edit

Thinkdiff

MVM,

How do you know what "Motorola" he had. Maybe it was an SB5100. In that case, it was definitely worth a replacement.

limegrass69
No Whammies

limegrass69

Are there any old Surfboards still out there?
champs18
join:2014-01-19
White Haven, PA

champs18 to Famis

to Famis
Same issue here. i had to report CV to the NYS
Better Business Bureau for them to do anything. Sad.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to limegrass69

Premium Member

to limegrass69
said by limegrass69:

Sure, I have an SB-5100 in use right now.

gabby5
@108.27.63.x

1 recommendation

gabby5

Anon

said by PX Eliezer1:

users with outdated modems like you screw up service for others. do yourself and neighbors a favor and upgrade to docsis 3!
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

1 recommendation

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

said by gabby5 :

said by PX Eliezer1:

users with outdated modems like you screw up service for others. do yourself and neighbors a favor and upgrade to docsis 3!

I probably will, but explain to me how my company-issued modem messes up anyone else's service?

Also, how come Cablevision itself hasn't told people to swap the modems?
TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA

1 recommendation

TheWiseGuy

MVM

A very heavy user with a single channel modem can saturate the single channel, which is why DOCSIS 3.0 modems work better, they spread the load. A single channel modem can switch channels dynamically and reduce the chances of a problem. I can not be sure but I suspect that Cablevision monitors the network and does manage to get heavy users to upgrade.

As to upgrading all modems, they have say 3 million modems, if they upgraded everyone, every time there was a new type of modem it would add significantly to their costs. Remember the majority of users are not high bandwidth and for them a DOCSIS 2.0 modem is fine.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

1 recommendation

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

Thanks.

I am not a heavy user, but I will ask them anyway.

andrewc2
join:2011-06-05
Matamoras, PA

andrewc2 to TheWiseGuy

to TheWiseGuy
I know that CV has strategically sent new modems to users in the past, typically moving boost customers with older 4 channel docsis 3 modems to the new Arris modems with 8 channels. But I don't know if they've done that for basic users.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to TheWiseGuy

Premium Member

to TheWiseGuy
said by TheWiseGuy:

A very heavy user with a single channel modem can saturate the single channel, which is why DOCSIS 3.0 modems work better, they spread the load.

OK, my wife is going to kill me.

I went to the Optimum/CV store today and swapped my old Motorola Surfborad modem for a new Arris TM 822.

With the old modem I could get download speeds of about 18 megs.

With this new modem my download speeds are only 1 meg or less!

Thoughts?
dm145
join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ

dm145

Assuming you rebooted your equipment to no avail get a replacement modem. If not a brand new modem they do recycle equipment.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to PX Eliezer1

MVM,

to PX Eliezer1
Signal levels? »192.168.100.1/

Reboot router / modem?

Call CV to make sure it's provisioned correctly. Last resort: Swap modem again.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, I had rebooted everything several times, removed the router, etc....

Turns out that the MAC address of the new modem has to be registered (even though it was all scanned at the Optimum/CV office).

The Optimum/CV printed instructions say that when you turn on the computer for the first time after connecting the new modem, and then open a browser window, a special page will appear for you to put in your acct number and register the modem.

In my case today, this never happened.

No special page appeared, everything just worked....

....except at just 1 Mb instead of my ususal 18 Mb.

But the fellow at Optimum Support was able to get the modem registered and now it's good again. The phone call was pretty quick, too.

[I had not called support initially because my phone service is through VoIP thus dependent on the internet connection, and cellphone service at my house is poor. Thus calling Optimum on the phone is always difficult on my end. But as noted, they did handle this well once I called].

Thanks to all.
cowbawx
join:2002-03-04
Lawrence, NY

cowbawx to limegrass69

to limegrass69
I disagree. The arris modem allow more channels to be bonded. THe Motorola does not. What Motorola? The one with the blue lights? or the SB5120 which is ancient now? Cablebios bonds 8 channels down, and 2 up.
said by limegrass69:

Good lesson here -- nothing was wrong with the Motorola modem...if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

cowbawx

cowbawx to TheWiseGuy

to TheWiseGuy
Actually, I know a few people who had actually received a call to change the modem due to it's change.
said by TheWiseGuy:

A very heavy user with a single channel modem can saturate the single channel, which is why DOCSIS 3.0 modems work better, they spread the load. A single channel modem can switch channels dynamically and reduce the chances of a problem. I can not be sure but I suspect that Cablevision monitors the network and does manage to get heavy users to upgrade.

As to upgrading all modems, they have say 3 million modems, if they upgraded everyone, every time there was a new type of modem it would add significantly to their costs. Remember the majority of users are not high bandwidth and for them a DOCSIS 2.0 modem is fine.

cowbawx

cowbawx to PX Eliezer1

to PX Eliezer1
Strange. are you referring to the upload or download? It could be they did work on the pole (without you know) after you initially called. And FYI, phone service with Cablevision is better, since the modem is provisioned to make VoIP a priority over the data use. But it isn't cheaper than what you are doing now, assuming everything works.
said by PX Eliezer1:

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, I had rebooted everything several times, removed the router, etc....

Turns out that the MAC address of the new modem has to be registered (even though it was all scanned at the Optimum/CV office).

The Optimum/CV printed instructions say that when you turn on the computer for the first time after connecting the new modem, and then open a browser window, a special page will appear for you to put in your acct number and register the modem.

In my case today, this never happened.

No special page appeared, everything just worked....

....except at just 1 Mb instead of my ususal 18 Mb.

But the fellow at Optimum Support was able to get the modem registered and now it's good again. The phone call was pretty quick, too.

[I had not called support initially because my phone service is through VoIP thus dependent on the internet connection, and cellphone service at my house is poor. Thus calling Optimum on the phone is always difficult on my end. But as noted, they did handle this well once I called].

Thanks to all.

PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

said by cowbawx:

Strange. are you referring to the upload or download?

Download. The situation was as described. There was no mysterious coincidental work on the pole, rather the MAC of the new modem had to be put into the system. That fixed it instantly.
said by cowbawx:

And FYI, phone service with Cablevision is better, since the modem is provisioned to make VoIP a priority over the data use. But it isn't cheaper than what you are doing now, assuming everything works.

FYI, I use several VoIP companies that give me excellent service at great prices, CallCentric for one, there are many others such as Voipo, Anveo, Voip.MS, etc, that offer lots of features and services not available on Optimum Voice. My CallCentric bill is about $ 10 per month, I have lots of call blocking and other features, and I can use an IP phone which I couldn't do with Optimum Voice.

I'm familiar with Optimum Voice, I have it at my office. But it's expensive compared to independent VoIP companies once triple play expires, lacking in features, and nothing special in quality.
root
join:2002-12-11

root

said by PX Eliezer1:

said by cowbawx:

Strange. are you referring to the upload or download?

Download. The situation was as described. There was no mysterious coincidental work on the pole, rather the MAC of the new modem had to be put into the system. That fixed it instantly.
said by cowbawx:

And FYI, phone service with Cablevision is better, since the modem is provisioned to make VoIP a priority over the data use. But it isn't cheaper than what you are doing now, assuming everything works.

FYI, I use several VoIP companies that give me excellent service at great prices, CallCentric for one, there are many others such as Voipo, Anveo, Voip.MS, etc, that offer lots of features and services not available on Optimum Voice. My CallCentric bill is about $ 10 per month, I have lots of call blocking and other features, and I can use an IP phone which I couldn't do with Optimum Voice.

I'm familiar with Optimum Voice, I have it at my office. But it's expensive compared to independent VoIP companies once triple play expires, lacking in features, and nothing special in quality.

His point was that in a scenario where there is congestion on the Cablevision network your Optimum Voice traffic will take precedence over HSD traffic thus not affecting the quality and completion of calls. Using third party voip means your calls are nothing more than regular data traffic on the network and would be subject to any congestion issues that may arise.

In an ideal world of course there would be no congestion ever but let's be honest..

FallenAnjel
join:2011-04-07
East Cupcake

FallenAnjel to limegrass69

to limegrass69
said by limegrass69:

Sure, my dad has one. lol

EliteData
EliteData
Premium Member
join:2003-07-06
Philippines

EliteData to m078017

Premium Member

to m078017
off topic but the SB4200 is an excellent "hacking" modem.