spc
Search similar:

uniqs

indy90
join:2014-04-16
Columbia, MO

indy90

[MO] Mediacom Tivo Install scheduled for next week

After much frustration with a multi-room DVR system using normal Pace Boxes, Mediacom has offered to upgrade my service to the newer TiVo system. I have 3 rooms, a cable modem and my own routers with access points. I have a few questions the "sales" person was not able to answer "for sure". So any help prior to the install would be greatly appreciated. 1) Will I be able to continue to use my own router and access points for wireless? 2) I believe the "main" TiVo unit will need to be connected via wired Ethernet. If this is so, can it be connected off of a switch or must it be from the main router? or does it matter? 3) The order confirmation shows "TiVo Q or TiVo XG1 and a TiVo Mini". I called to let them know it looked as if this was only 2 units. They place a second order for the 3rd unit, however that order shows one line saying "TiVo Q or TiVo XG1". Does this seem correct? I questioned it, but they said it was right? I would expect it would be a "TiVO XG1 and 2 TiVo Minis" ?

Thanks for any advice.

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium Member
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

Hello indy90,

I would be happy to help you out with this. While I do know of customers that use their own router and wireless equipment to control our TiVo boxes it is not fully supported and the technician installing the service may insist on putting in a Mediacom supplied wireless router to make sure everything is working and setup properly. This also goes along the lines with your second question. The TiVo box will need to be plugged in directly unless you have a wireless receiver purchased from TiVo specifically for this. Plugging it into the switch will again not be fully supported but could work.

In regards to the ordering of the equipment I would need you to private message me your account or phone number so I can pull up the order/s that were put in and see what equipment is being sent. If you would like me to look further into that let me know.

If you have any other questions or concerns feel free to contact me here.

Anonymous88
Premium Member
join:2004-06-01
IA

Anonymous88

Premium Member

TiVo XG1 is the new 6 tuner DCT, the Q only has 4 I think. Not sure, most of this stuff I googled. Was told by a Mediacom tech Pace DCT requires MOCA connection via dongle and ethernet should not be used.
Pete_S4
join:2014-04-18
Capron, IL

2 edits

Pete_S4 to indy90

to indy90
I can't say for certain what Mediacom will give you, but I am a long time Tivo owner. My understanding is the cable CO Tivos are a variant of the TiVo Roamio Plus/Pro (6 tuner Tivo XG1) or Premier 4XL (4 tuner Tivo Q). Both of these support MoCA, which is networking over TV cabling. My bet is the installer will connect the extenders (Tivo Minis) via your TV coax cabling if you have TV outlets in your extra rooms. The Tivo XG1/Q should be able to act as a bridge between MoCA and your wired Ethernet to get the Minis to the outside world for updates or streaming Neflix (no sure if the cable variants have Netflix though).

Streaming to Tivo Minis from the main Tivo over WiFi is definitely not supported. So don't expect to use wireless to get to the Minis. The Tivo XG1/Q should have a Gigabit Ethernet port on it, but the Minis only have a 100 Mbit. I've got Gigabit switches only in my network, but my Mini works quite well even going through 4 Ethernet switches (some quite cheap ones) to get to my Tivo XL4.