uniqs
share rss forum feed

bbbc

join:2001-10-02
NorthAmerica
kudos:2
Reviews:
·FreedomPop

[BC] 2014: Will Shaw now swap D2 for D3 upon request?

I've got an acquaintance in a high-rise that's having broadband issues. I'm assuming it's related to the crowded Wi-Fi in the building on the 2.4 GHz band. I'm going to get them a stand-alone 5 GHz router and place the cable modem in bridge mode. I'd also like to swap the DOCSIS 2.0 modem (SMC 8014WN) for a DOCSIS 3.0 device to nip any possible congestion issues in the bud. I'm not sure if they're on the 10Mb or 25Mb profile. I know in the past, Shaw wouldn't swap the modems. Does anyone know if they will now do it in 2014?

--
Marriage Equality | Consumerist

join:2014-04-08

its very possible to get it done yes. just tell them speeds are inconsistent and that you would like a Cisco DPC3825. the only plan i would think they (might) not do it on could be the 10mb. and if they are on the 10mb make sure to upgrade them to the 25mb at the same time. but if you do upgrade tell shaw you only want it if you can get the new D3 modem

rustydusty

join:2009-09-29
Red Deer, AB
reply to bbbc

They are handing the Cisco's out for almost any tier at this point. Yet the bridge unlock codes are still only available for 50Mb and higher. That doesn't make any sense to me...

interesting. and yes very odd. this is good to know as i was planning on doing a router upgrade for my friend with the 25 soon. i guess i will have to use DMZ.

why the hell would shaw make u have to get bb50 just to get bridge?

the lack of logic is amazing

bbbc

NorthAmerica
Reviews:
·FreedomPop
reply to bbbc

said by Requake :

If they are on the 10mb make sure to upgrade them to the 25mb at the same time. but if you do upgrade tell shaw you only want it if you can get the new D3 modem

I know they have a bundle, but I don't remember which speed tier they're on. The cancellation threat will probably work even if they're at 10Mb.

said by rustydusty :

Yet the bridge unlock codes are still only available for 50Mb and higher. That doesn't make any sense to me.

I didn't know they even gave out codes. I thought you always had to get bridge mode through Shaw's tech CSRs. Shaw also doesn't allow TPIA end-users on TekSavvy to access their purchased cable modem's stats page.

--

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to rustydusty

said by rustydusty:

They are handing the Cisco's out for almost any tier at this point. Yet the bridge unlock codes are still only available for 50Mb and higher. That doesn't make any sense to me...

They fixed that, the SMC 8014WN still can't be bridged.

SMC's D3N and Cisco's DPC3825 can be bridged on anything except the legacy plans (lite, high-speed, and extreme plans)

They don't give out the codes, I don't think I've never talked to someone who knew anybody who had the MSOAdmin or just Admin passwords, but the billing codes exist now to bridge the modems
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

Zac
Premium
join:2001-09-12
Calgary, AB
reply to rustydusty

said by rustydusty:

Yet the bridge unlock codes are still only available for 50Mb and higher. That doesn't make any sense to me...

Incorrect, The bridge codes are available for every plan, but its not something that can be applied on the customer side. It's processed on the account side via a CSR, TSR, or anyone that has the knowledge in the call center.

Typically though, keeping with Shaw hardware is better for troubleshooting, as when you're running your own router, anything past Shaw's modem is your responsibility. Connection works up to the Modem, with a device directly hooked up to it? Perfect, Any problems with third party routers are dependent on who you talk to, some techs/TSR's will try to assist, others will tell you its not something Shaw supports.

--
~There is no Normal or Abnormal... Just Diversity.
Member of Team Helix - Join Us?

rustydusty

Red Deer, AB

said by Zac:

said by rustydusty:

Yet the bridge unlock codes are still only available for 50Mb and higher. That doesn't make any sense to me...

Incorrect, The bridge codes are available for every plan, but its not something that can be applied on the customer side. It's processed on the account side via a CSR, TSR, or anyone that has the knowledge in the call center.

Typically though, keeping with Shaw hardware is better for troubleshooting, as when you're running your own router, anything past Shaw's modem is your responsibility. Connection works up to the Modem, with a device directly hooked up to it? Perfect, Any problems with third party routers are dependent on who you talk to, some techs/TSR's will try to assist, others will tell you its not something Shaw supports.

Was well aware this was done on Shaw's end. They patched the back way of briding the Cisco's a while back, otherwise it actually could be done on customer side. Not supported, but gotta do what gotta do.

Problem I've had with many locations with the Cisco or SMC is the unit just can't handle a descent amount of traffic and the wireless on the device is terrible. Not to mention no DNS relay, no way of changing WAN side DNS. You can only change what LAN devices receive as a DNS server. I prefer a local cache firewall side via DNS relay.

For a majority of Shaw customers the all-in-one devices may suffice, but barely. Even two family members in smaller two floor homes had issues with it. I played with settings and just never could get the wireless they needed. Added in a DAP-2310 to serve wireless and fixed everything. As homes get larger, the all-in-one's just don't have the power to do it properly. Don't get my started on the TELUS all-in-one's. The Actiontec v1000H was even worse. Cooked two of them in a matter of months.

bbbc

NorthAmerica
Reviews:
·FreedomPop
reply to bbbc

Quick update to this matter:
Shaw swapped out the old DOCSIS 2 modem for a DOCSIS 3 device. The end-user only had a 10Mb profile. In addition, Shaw tech support placed the device in bridge mode and turned its Wi-Fi off. Now a standalone router with Tomato firmware fork is running the show.

Curious if the Shaw Go WiFi gets turned off by default with the AIO modems in bridge mode?

--

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·Shaw

said by bbbc:

Curious if the Shaw Go WiFi gets turned off by default with the AIO modems in bridge mode?

The end-consumer modem router combos are not Shaw Go WiFi points... Completely separate system
--

when i was eating breakfast in a restaraunt in town this morning i noticed i was on shaw go wifi, then i noticed there was a cisco aironet AP about 5-10 feet from me on the roof, and then i started wondering if it was for shaw go wifi or if not what aps they are using...

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB

Yeah, that was likely for the ShawOpen... Unless the resturant POS system was using WiFi too
--

rustydusty

Red Deer, AB
reply to bbbc

We were broadcasting a Shaw Go Wifi and I believe it was just the Cisco DPC3825 as we had three of them in our closet.

One for our Biz 50, one for the extra wifi only for 9.99 and then the Shaw Go.

i highly doubt it, i think were pretty sure shaw is using aironet 1550's and 3600's

rustydusty

Red Deer, AB
reply to bbbc

Should of went with 1200 or 1600 series, dang.

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
reply to 20424689

Thats not to say that the DPC3825 modem isn't doing the ShawOpen, it is very possible they are... Just not the WiFi part
--

GoWiFi

@70.72.241.x

Shaw uses the DPC3825 to connect the Cisco AP's to their network. They are very specific with how many AP's per DPC3825. If I remember right I have 7 AP's and 4 DPC3825 running them in our building.

They also just installed an external antenna that is supposedly good for 0.25 mile radius outside.

Very professional installs, every single coax wire in my building was re-run as a "home run, no splitters".

I was amazed at the detail/quality Shaw used to do this. If any one wants pictures just post and let me know.

If you are in a building/place that uses DPC3825 as WiFi it is the additional WiFi modem. I have one location that we pay the $10 per month and have 5 additional DPC3825's running WiFi so any customer can use it.

It seems to be a 5mbps download speed on ShawOpen networks. Anyone else confirm that?

when i used the speedtest app on my iphone 4 to test the other day i got 5.02 p 1.32 down. but if im correct it had speedboost to around 10-12 mbps in the beginning, unless that was just my iphone failing to be accurate in the beginning which happens alot (usually upload starts high then ramps down for some reason)

pictures would be awesome, aswell if you could specify which AP's those 7 AP's you speak of are, 3600 or 1550's i assume?

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
reply to GoWiFi

Yeah, that is the max I have ever had... I know in the beginning, that people were reporting much higher, but I never had.
--

would be nice if they had the 25mbit, since thats the most you would expect on most devices. the 50 could work too, but most devices probably wouldnt get that

rustydusty

Red Deer, AB
reply to GoWiFi

said by GoWiFi :

Shaw uses the DPC3825 to connect the Cisco AP's to their network. They are very specific with how many AP's per DPC3825. If I remember right I have 7 AP's and 4 DPC3825 running them in our building.

They also just installed an external antenna that is supposedly good for 0.25 mile radius outside.

Very professional installs, every single coax wire in my building was re-run as a "home run, no splitters".

I was amazed at the detail/quality Shaw used to do this. If any one wants pictures just post and let me know.

If you are in a building/place that uses DPC3825 as WiFi it is the additional WiFi modem. I have one location that we pay the $10 per month and have 5 additional DPC3825's running WiFi so any customer can use it.

It seems to be a 5mbps download speed on ShawOpen networks. Anyone else confirm that?

This was the whole reason I got it removed from our office. They had all 3 modems on a splitter. We would have speed drops, packet loss, etc. I figured it was signal loss, but couldn't prove it. After removing it and only having two there hasn't been any issues since.