Search similar:

uniqs
mdavej
join:2004-06-09
united state

mdavej to crispytoast

to crispytoast

Re: [Other] Another angry all-digital complaint thread

I look at it this way. While these new STB requirements suck, Charter still has the most HD of any other provider I can get. I can save a lot of money ($50/month in my case) by using my own equipment. I already have several devices that do Netflix, so I don't need Tivo for that. Plus my wife would kill me if I spent a couple of thousand dollars on Tivo. So I've gone the HPTC/Extender route, which paid for itself within a year and a half. It has no subscription costs like Tivo and should be a viable option for several more years, at least as long as Tivo is viable (because of cable card).

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya to crispytoast

MVM

to crispytoast
OP - I understand your frustration. I "cut the cord" with Charter a few years ago, so I have no skin in the game on the TV side of things. I use an OTA Antenna, Roku boxes, MythTV, Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Playon to fill the gap.

Now I pay Charter $0 / month for TV service. I have 8 TVs. It would cost a fortune just to have the converter boxes if I ever did decide to get Charter TV again.

This is 100% a money grab by Charter. They could go 100% digital WITHOUT going 100% encrypted.
They claim this is to cut down on cable theft, but I doubt there much credence to that.
It's all about getting more money for nothin'. Each average customer probably has to have about 3 extra converters - an extra $24 per month.

Charter is shooting themselves in the foot. This is one of the only advantages they had over Satellite. Now they blew it.
In fact, you might want to check into satellite, as I think their per set fees are lower than Charter. Bonus, better picture quality vs. Charter as well. If you have to have a box, you may as well enjoy it.

Keep in mind this forum is trolled by Charter shills, so many of the responses you'll receive have to be ignored or taken with a grain of salt.

mmainprize
join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI

mmainprize to Mr Guy

to Mr Guy
said by Mr Guy :

said by mmainprize:

I don't think 10 TV's is that far out there. You must think about what the average is and that would be about 6 TV's for a family of 4. So if you have just a few extra kids or you have a few non standard TVs like a TV in the fridge or bathroom it is not hard to hit 10.

Still ridiculous. No way anyone is watching 10 at once. I don't care if your family is the Brady Bunch.

No one said any thing about watching all 10 at once.
So you think these days a family of 6 should only have one TV in the main room?
mmainprize

1 edit

mmainprize to browncoat

to browncoat
said by browncoat:

said by mmainprize:

I don't think 10 TV's is that far out there.

One in the garage, one over the toilet... That's a bit much, IMHO. Especially when OP starts complaining about *having* to pay $70 a month extra for boxes. If it's that big of a burden, scale back. Endure the hardship of not having TVs in the crapper and the garage. Tell the kids to suck it up and share.

I have a TV in the garage but it is just OTA, as we go outside a lot in the summer. I have been thinking about how to get the full channel lineup out there also.
I have just 2 people in my house but have 5 TVs. One in the main room, one in each bedroom and one in the spare bedroom and one in the garage. Of course we only watch two at a time.

Just got the call from charter going all digital real soon.
mmainprize

mmainprize to Mr Guy

to Mr Guy
said by Mr Guy :

said by Zappa2000:

It doesn't matter how many TVs someone has, he has a very valid point.
Charter stands to make tons of extra $$$ (after the 'free' period is over) and more and more people are going to be complaining about having to rent boxes for every TV they got.
If Charter gives a cable modem for 'free' now, I don't see why they can't give at least 2 boxes 'free' as well for TVs.

So Charter should pay hundreds for boxes just to give them out for free to be nice? Does DirecTv, DishNetwork, U-Verse or FiOS do that? Nope. Not sure why people think Charter should give out free boxes when they do not expect the others to do so?

Charter wants to rent/lease them. Why can't we just buy them yourself?
I remember when we first got internet and some new tv channels, i had to take the box i had to the charter office and exchange it for a new style box because the box was over 15 years old. I had been paying a monthly fee for 15 years on that box, i had purchased that box four times at least. now today a t 8 buck each per month and with say 5 or 10 boxes i want to buy not rent them.
Expand your moderator at work

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

2 edits

cork1958 to mmainprize

Premium Member

to mmainprize

Re: [Other] Another angry all-digital complaint thread

Edited this part of reply!

As far as what OP is asking, that is EXACTLY what I've been researching for a while now and just can't find any decent alternative, that doesn't cost an arm and leg up front, to Charter's crap tv.

Bought a Roku a few weeks back and was playing with that. Nothing but crap on that thing also, so took it back! Yes, I was able to determine it was crap after less than a week even.

I guess the ONLY alternative I have is to suck it up and watch/pay for the junk Charter provides or find some way to convince the wife we don't need tv at all, which I would be perfectly happy with!

Also,
Yes, I find it very frustrating that Charter is forcing people to get a STB when I've never had one. Nothing what so ever but a money grab, period! As far as this complying with FCC rules or some other dumb a** thing, when has anyone EVER listened to them before? Amazing how Charter WILL comply to this one though seeing as how it enables them to do exactly what they are doing, money grabbing!
mdavej
united state

mdavej to mmainprize

to mmainprize
said by mmainprize:

Charter wants to rent/lease them. Why can't we just buy them yourself?

You can.
»www.amazon.com/Samsung-G ··· 0EYO241Q
mdavej

mdavej to cork1958

to cork1958
said by cork1958:

Edited this part of reply!

As far as what OP is asking, that is EXACTLY what I've been researching for a while now and just can't find any decent alternative, that doesn't cost an arm and leg up front, to Charter's crap tv.

Bought a Roku a few weeks back and was playing with that. Nothing but crap on that thing also, so took it back! Yes, I was able to determine it was crap after less than a week even.

I guess the ONLY alternative I have is to suck it up and watch/pay for the junk Charter provides or find some way to convince the wife we don't need tv at all, which I would be perfectly happy with!

Also,
Yes, I find it very frustrating that Charter is forcing people to get a STB when I've never had one. Nothing what so ever but a money grab, period! As far as this complying with FCC rules or some other dumb a** thing, when has anyone EVER listened to them before? Amazing how Charter WILL comply to this one though seeing as how it enables them to do exactly what they are doing, money grabbing!

I agree that Roku content is crap, and that the STB requirement is a money grab. But the alternatives don't have to cost an arm and a leg up front. If you have a PC and an Xbox already (or can run an HDMI or VGA cable to your TV), a $50-$100 tuner from ebay is all you need. If you don't need a DVR, a Samsung box is only $140 (about a 2 year payback). Aren't the first couple of STBs free anyway for the first year or two? If you don't have 10 TVs like the OP, or can do some mirroring (share the output of one box with several TVs), then it shouldn't be a difficult or expensive transition.

Of course, if you insist on a brand new PC or Tivo, then it can cost thousands. But that's a choice, not a requirement. At least we still have some choices with cable. You can't do anything like that on satellite or U-verse. You're stuck with their equipment and/or contracts.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya to cork1958

MVM

to cork1958
said by cork1958:

You're not doing it right
That's what I thought at first. I'm getting ready to order our 5th (maybe 6th?) Roku player.
Even if you only use it for Netflix and Amazon Instant, it's probably worth the $50. Add a PlayOn subscription and it's way better.

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec

Premium Member

said by nunya:

Does charter have a roku app that allows you to use the Roku as a cable box or is that just a TW thing?

mmainprize
Houghton Lake, MI

mmainprize

said by swintec:

said by nunya:

Does charter have a roku app that allows you to use the Roku as a cable box or is that just a TW thing?

I also am waiting for something like this. But at present it seems everybody make an app for phones and tablets but not for TVs. I guess they think you don't need it on the TV because you have cable.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya to swintec

MVM

to swintec
If they did that, you wouldn't need to "rent" their $7/mo box any more. You do the math.
7 months of converter box rental = 1 Roku.

The phone companies milked overpriced dialtone and long distance to death in the 1990's / early 2000's until the services became irrelevant.
The cable companies will milk overpriced video services until technology finds a way around the collusion between the cable companies and content providers.

mmainprize
Houghton Lake, MI

mmainprize to crispytoast

to crispytoast
Here is another option for some TV, if you live in a large city with many OTA channels then this might be something you could use.
»www.epvision.com/HDTVSTB ··· main.htm

Saw this in another post here at DSLReports.
crispytoast
join:2014-04-16
United State

crispytoast to mdavej

to mdavej
What equip are you using dave? Like exactly what boxes and how many?

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec to nunya

Premium Member

to nunya
said by nunya:

If they did that, you wouldn't need to "rent" their $7/mo box any more. You do the math.

TW offers it. I mean, it is decent for maybe a guest room TV or something but it doesnt work THAT great. The time spent waiting for the channels to load when switching through and the navigation is a pain in the ass unless you know exactly what you want. Personally, I am surprised TW offers it but I dont see it replacing the set top box, at least for me, any time soon. Oh, it also has OnDemand on it too.

Mr Guy
@charter.com

Mr Guy to nunya

Anon

to nunya
said by nunya:

So that would be a win-win. I have 2 older boxes. When the need to be replaced Charter is out what $500 maybe $600 or more replacing them. Or I they can let me pay for my own Roku. Sure they're not getting $14 month but it would take 3-4 years just to break even. And that's just counting the cost of the STBs not including possible early replacement if either break or maintenance. How much storage space is used at Charter offices for STBs? How many trips are made to customers houses due to issues with STBs?

Also even with a Charter app on Roku not all channels would be available. So many people would just stick with a STB. A Roku app would still require Charter getting permission from the content producers. Notice the current app doesn't offer ANY Viacom content( MTV VH1, Nickelodeon, Comedy Central etc ).

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

1 edit

cork1958 to nunya

Premium Member

to nunya
said by nunya:

That's what I thought at first. I'm getting ready to order our 5th (maybe 6th?) Roku player.
Even if you only use it for Netflix and Amazon Instant, it's probably worth the $50

Tried all of those plus several others. Almost forgot which one's I had subscribed to so I could unsubscribe from all of them before getting billed!

TV just isn't my thing at all. Nothing but boring to me! I'm pretty much just a sports guy, but not so much that I HAVE to have every event on or all 64 of the various ESPN's that are on, or subscribe to some extra channel that I have to pay for.

What would make me real happy is that I could convince wife to simply give up/cancel tv!

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya to Mr Guy

MVM

to Mr Guy
said by Mr Guy :

When the need to be replaced Charter is out what $500 maybe $600 or more replacing them.

Do you honestly think Charter pays $500 for a converter box? Try between $30 and $200 wholesale. Not only that, but they can (and do) claim depreciation on their equipment (there's nothing wrong with that).
mdavej
united state

mdavej to crispytoast

to crispytoast
said by crispytoast:

What equip are you using dave? Like exactly what boxes and how many?

Around post 18 of this thread, if I counted correctly.

alchav
join:2002-05-17
Saint George, UT

alchav to crispytoast

to crispytoast
said by crispytoast:

Yeah that's not too big of a problem, I have a router switch that distributes Ethernet hookups in every room. Tivo is 14.99/month right? Just more costs one way or another haha

Going FTTH is the next big step, and if you have Ethernet throughout your house you are set up for IPTV. Then you will have more ways to access Programming for each TV. Many people also put a HDTV Antenna in the Attic, and if you are in an area were you get a good signal you will pick up some stations and wire those TV's that way.

Mr Guy
@charter.com

Mr Guy to nunya

Anon

to nunya
said by nunya:

said by Mr Guy :

When the need to be replaced Charter is out what $500 maybe $600 or more replacing them.

Do you honestly think Charter pays $500 for a converter box?

if you actually READ what I wrote I CLEARLY mention TWO( that's is 2 as in 1+1) boxes.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
O Fallon, MO

nunya

MVM

Your post was poorly worded. You needed a "both" or "each" in there somewhere. Either way, you were still high.
jchl89
join:2004-03-04
Rosemead, CA

jchl89 to crispytoast

to crispytoast
my real gripe, is that all my wall-mounted TVs now need an ugly box dangling alongside it.
mdavej
united state

mdavej

said by jchl89:

my real gripe, is that all my wall-mounted TVs now need an ugly box dangling alongside it.

My Ceton Echoes are about the size of a deck of cards and can easily be mounted right behind the TV, no fees whatsoever.
MadCity
Premium Member
join:2008-10-17
Middleton, WI

MadCity to jchl89

Premium Member

to jchl89
I velcroed my HD box to the back of my HD TV.
ajmorgan
join:2008-02-13
Roseburg, OR

ajmorgan to crispytoast

to crispytoast
If it was strictly about encryption it could be solved by developing a single box at the entry point to the home. I doubt there are any insurmountable hurdles to making the entry-point box also a TV-server that could interact with all the digital TVs in the home and call down the requested channels, although that might involve a standards body and cooperation by the TV vendors to avoid extra equipment hanging off the TVs.

So, that leaves it at data mining actually. What you watch and when you watch is valuable to content suppliers, advertisers, political parties, and the government. Even if anonymous, its still very valuable. For that value received, we should not have to pay. Let the cable provider recoup those costs from the other end.

Of course, I could be wrong. That's easily addressed by a policy forbidding such practices, even anonymously, and line items in the audited financial statements showing these revenues at $0. Then, I will be happy to pay for the boxes until better solutions come about. But, if they are getting money from advertisers for the data, let them pay for the boxes. Capitalism, you know and consumers get to play the game as well.