join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall to Anonymous_

MVM

to Anonymous_

Re: [Electrical] Aluminum wiring

said by Anonymous_:

better hope they cover Aluminum wiring LOL

most insurances have a clause that will decline the claim... more then likely it has a higher premium.

I don't believe that's true. The insurance company agreed to cover it as-is. If they don't like AL wiring, they need to "inspect" the property before they write the policy and at that point, say they won't cover it because of (insert reason(s) here).

Lurch77
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77

Premium Member

said by Hall:

said by Anonymous_:

most insurances have a clause that will decline the claim... more then likely it has a higher premium.

I don't believe that's true. The insurance company agreed to cover it as-is. If they don't like AL wiring, they need to "inspect" the property before they write the policy and at that point, say they won't cover it because of (insert reason(s) here).

Yeah, in my renting years I've never had an inspection of the property done to get coverage. And they never asked me specifics like this. They generally just asked standard questions, like address, type of dwelling, and sometimes what I thought my belongings would cost to replace. They never asked about the electric, appliance power source, roof type, etc.

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall

MVM

In the case of renter's insurance, yeah, they're generally only concerned with your stuff. The structure is someone else's problem.

Even in the case of homeowner's insurance, when we moved in, the agent came to our house for an "inspection". I say inspection because I'm sure it was nothing more than "look for existing damage so they can't file a claim later". He did take rough measurements, looked around, and asked if we had a dog or dogs and if so, what breed. As far as I know, he knew nothing about structures, wiring, plumbing, etc -- he was not a "home inspector". Years later, we switched, and the agent had one of his assistants do a "drive-by" inspection. Nothing more....

------------

I did find some stuff while Googling about some carriers will refuse to write a policy if they know there's AL wiring, but nothing done after the fact. That's a different matter though.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

Anonymous_ to Hall

Premium Member

to Hall
said by Hall:

said by Anonymous_:

Well it must be a grandfathered policy then.

DarkHelmet
join:2014-02-21

DarkHelmet

said by Anonymous_:

said by Hall:

said by Anonymous_:

Well it must be a grandfathered policy then.

Maybe it's by state but here I just switched companies and there's nothing about aluminum wiring anywhere and most houses were built between 1950 and 1970 in this area. If they write the policy they'll cover it.

OldCableGuy2
@communications.net

OldCableGuy2

Anon

Any good insurance company worth their salt is going to send an inspector out and yes they'll check for Au wiring as this is a well known issue. Sure, your major companies like Nationwide/State Farm/etc don't do this, but then you are paying for all the payouts for issues like this. My insurance company literally costs 1/3 of those, is a mutual that only covers my county, and the inspect every property they write a policy for. They wouldn't give me replacement cost on my roof because it was 10 years old, but once I replaced the (10 years later) roof they sent an inspector out and they rewrote my policy for replacement cost on the roof.
OldCableGuy2

OldCableGuy2

Anon

Whoops I meant Al wiring, for some reason my phone changed that from Al to Au.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA to OldCableGuy2

Premium Member

to OldCableGuy2
said by OldCableGuy2 :

Any good insurance company worth their salt is going to send an inspector out and yes they'll check for Au wiring as this is a well known issue. Sure, your major companies like Nationwide/

Nationwide is in fact a mutual company. i.e.

Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company

They did not check for Aluminum wiring.

OldCableGuy2
@communications.net

OldCableGuy2

Anon

Did I say all mutua companies check?

No, I said the ___non-crappy ones___ do. Nationwide didn't check? Well, I guess you have your answer.

PS: My wife is an underwriter for the small company I have my insurance through, the horror stories of nationwide customers are always great to hear.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by OldCableGuy2 :

No, I said the ___non-crappy ones___ do. Nationwide didn't check? Well, I guess you have your answer.

PS: My wife is an underwriter for the small company I have my insurance through, the horror stories of nationwide customers are always great to hear.

My "X" was an Underwriter and Broker for 20+ large companies for 19 years we were married. I do know a little about many companies not just one.

We could have chosen any one of them but stayed with Nationwide. I guess that should tell you and your wife something.
Critsmcgee
join:2011-12-02

Critsmcgee to OldCableGuy2

to OldCableGuy2
said by OldCableGuy2 :

Any good insurance company worth their salt is going to send an inspector out and yes they'll check for Au wiring as this is a well known issue.

Ummm......no! I've had small and large companies. I have a local mutual company right now. I've never heard of an inspection for Home Owners Insurance. It just doesn't happen here period. The house was built in 1960 too so it could have aluminum wiring for all they know.

OldCableGuy2
@communications.net

OldCableGuy2

Anon

Ummmm yes! Sorry but I am going to trust facts that I know and see every day from some random person online.

If your company didn't inspect you are overpaying; as you're paying for every non-code issue that happens to their insured, no question!

Lurch77
Premium Member
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77 to OldCableGuy2

Premium Member

to OldCableGuy2
said by OldCableGuy2 :

USAA is arguably one of the best insurance companies a person can get. They never checked any of the houses I rented before building my own. And that included homes all around the country during my military days.

ilikeme
Premium Member
join:2002-08-27
Stafford, TX

ilikeme

Premium Member

Agreed. USAA is one of the best (if not the best) anyone can get. I have used them for a number of years now and my dad has since the 70's.

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k to OldCableGuy2

Premium Member

to OldCableGuy2
said by OldCableGuy2 :

Whoops I meant Al wiring, for some reason my phone changed that from Al to Au.

Wow, I'd be pleasantly surprised to move into a house with Au wiring! Definitely worth stripping it out and replacing with Cu.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

1 edit

Anonymous_ to Critsmcgee

Premium Member

to Critsmcgee
said by Critsmcgee:

said by OldCableGuy2 :

Any good insurance company worth their salt is going to send an inspector out and yes they'll check for Au wiring as this is a well known issue.

Ummm......no! I've had small and large companies. I have a local mutual company right now. I've never heard of an inspection for Home Owners Insurance. It just doesn't happen here period. The house was built in 1960 too so it could have aluminum wiring for all they know.

Surely once it's found the your aluminum wiring caused the fire. Your claim might be denied because of it not being disclosed to the insurer .

»articles.chicagotribune. ··· d-copper

Insurers say they haven't moved industrywide to limit coverage of aluminum-wired houses or to require the recommended fixes. But officials at Nationwide Mutual Insurance Co., State Farm Insurance Co. and Allstate Insurance Co., for example, say aluminum wiring could trigger a requirement for an electrical inspection before a policy is issued.

aluminum wiring = high risk policy holder = higher premium.
Critsmcgee
join:2011-12-02

1 edit

Critsmcgee to OldCableGuy2

to OldCableGuy2
said by OldCableGuy2 :

Sorry but I am going to trust facts that I know and see every day from some random person online.

Exactly! Who would trust an Anonymous poster here over multiple members? That's a fact. And by that token why did you bother coming here and posting if you don't care what we say? Are you just trolling?
Critsmcgee

Critsmcgee to Anonymous_

to Anonymous_
said by Anonymous_:

said by Critsmcgee:

said by OldCableGuy2 :

Surely once it's found the your aluminum wiring caused the fire. Your claim might be denied because of it not being disclosed to the insurer .

»articles.chicagotribune. ··· d-copper

Insurers say they haven't moved industrywide to limit coverage of aluminum-wired houses or to require the recommended fixes. But officials at Nationwide Mutual Insurance Co., State Farm Insurance Co. and Allstate Insurance Co., for example, say aluminum wiring could trigger a requirement for an electrical inspection before a policy is issued.

aluminum wiring = high risk policy holder = higher premium.

Lots of things are higher risk but that doesn't matter. People have dangerous dogs on their property but that doesn't matter. They have firearms but that doesn't matter. They might neglect upkeep but that doesn't matter. Why would aluminum wiring matter over something else that would cost the insurance company far more plus is far more common? It's stupid to keep this line of discussion going. A 10 year old article from another state surely isn't going to matter. Anyone can cherry pick stuff to support their case but that doesn't make it anymore true.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

1 recommendation

Jack_in_VA to Critsmcgee

Premium Member

to Critsmcgee
said by Critsmcgee:

said by OldCableGuy2 :

Sorry but I am going to trust facts that I know and see every day from some random person online.

Exactly! Who would trust an Anonymous poster here over multiple members? That's a fact. And by that token why did you bother coming here and posting if you don't care what we say? Are you just trolling?

+1

I think he's trolling

Lurch77
Premium Member
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77 to OldCableGuy2

Premium Member

to OldCableGuy2
said by OldCableGuy2 :

If your company didn't inspect you are overpaying; as you're paying for every non-code issue that happens to their insured, no question!

Again, USAA is arguably the best insurance company a guy can get, their rates are less expensive than most. And they still didn't come and rip apart the homes I rented to inspect the wiring.

And I cannot say I have ever heard of a case of renter's insurance needing any kind of in depth inspection for coverage. Being in the military, this subject came up a lot during my career, especially with junior servicemen looking to get their first place.
Expand your moderator at work