Green Bay, WI

Lurch77 to Hall

Premium Member

to Hall

Re: [Electrical] Aluminum wiring

said by Hall:

said by Anonymous_:

better hope they cover Aluminum wiring LOL

most insurances have a clause that will decline the claim... more then likely it has a higher premium.

I don't believe that's true. The insurance company agreed to cover it as-is. If they don't like AL wiring, they need to "inspect" the property before they write the policy and at that point, say they won't cover it because of (insert reason(s) here).

Yeah, in my renting years I've never had an inspection of the property done to get coverage. And they never asked me specifics like this. They generally just asked standard questions, like address, type of dwelling, and sometimes what I thought my belongings would cost to replace. They never asked about the electric, appliance power source, roof type, etc.

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall

MVM

In the case of renter's insurance, yeah, they're generally only concerned with your stuff. The structure is someone else's problem.

Even in the case of homeowner's insurance, when we moved in, the agent came to our house for an "inspection". I say inspection because I'm sure it was nothing more than "look for existing damage so they can't file a claim later". He did take rough measurements, looked around, and asked if we had a dog or dogs and if so, what breed. As far as I know, he knew nothing about structures, wiring, plumbing, etc -- he was not a "home inspector". Years later, we switched, and the agent had one of his assistants do a "drive-by" inspection. Nothing more....

------------

I did find some stuff while Googling about some carriers will refuse to write a policy if they know there's AL wiring, but nothing done after the fact. That's a different matter though.