1 edit

sri

[CA] Request cox employee to verify if these modems can be used in 92656

We are moving apartments and will need to transition away from UVerse to Cox

My roomate has: SB5101
This I saw at goodwill: MOTOROLA SB6121,
The other one is on craigslist: CISCO DPC3010

Cox Sales Chat said neither are black listed

HOWEVER, When I tell the MAC Address to the technical support team they said ALL these modems are black listed or "cannot be found on their system" and hence cannot be used!

While I don't know about the others, I am beyond sure that the SB5101 is not black listed!

I do see a list of Cox employees at »Cox HSI Forum FAQ »Who are the authorized Cox employees that provide support on this forum? but I don't think pinging them out of the blue is a good idea.

I humbly request a Cox employee to verify if these modems can be used in ALISO VIEJO, CA 92656

I will PM you the MAC# once you volunteer to help
m8trix
join:2003-12-24
Chandler, AZ

m8trix

don't bother with the 5101 as its the old docsis 2 that is being phased out. the other 2 are docsis 3 and as long as they were not attached to a business account you should be able to use them.

all said though I would never buy a used modem (unless it was from a friend) just for the simple fact is you don't know what the working condition is
sri
join:2013-05-01
Irvine, CA

sri

said by m8trix:

all said though I would never buy a used modem (unless it was from a friend) just for the simple fact is you don't know what the working condition is

Agreed, but they are selling for two coffees, so who cares if it stops working a few months from now. The CISCO DPC3010 is actually in brand new condition. The seller told me they got it free from Cox but never used it as it did not have wifi

Napsterbater
Meh
MVM
join:2002-12-28
Milledgeville, GA
(Software) OPNsense
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO

Napsterbater

MVM

said by sri:

The seller told me they got it free from Cox but never used it as it did not have wifi

Its most likely belongs to Cox, so he is selling Cox equipment?
sri
Irvine, CA

sri

It does not have any Cox branding on it and even comes in a CISCO branded brown box. He's been a long term customer so I guess that's why he got it for free?

I will update you once I have some information from a Cox employee

CoxTech1
join:2002-04-25
Chesapeake, VA

1 recommendation

CoxTech1 to sri

to sri
It sounds like the modems are still linked to former accounts. The DPC3010 is an ISP provided modem so that is normally the case. The 6121 is a retail modem however it sounds like the previous user was probably on Cox as well. This usually requires contacting the previous owner(s) to request they release the modem from their account.
sri
Irvine, CA

sri

I PM'd you the MAC#. If you could take a look at what status they are, I can clarify it with the seller.
AGBM
join:2014-04-20
usa

AGBM to sri

to sri
cox approved modems: »ww2.cox.com/residential/ ··· 00000000