New Haven, CT
Synology RT2600ac
TP-Link TC-7650
ARRIS SB8200

2 recommendations

Elite to antdude

to antdude

Re: Microsoft Confirms It Is Dropping Windows 8.1 Support

It's really a shame MS has pretty much given up on the service packs idea all together now. Vista saw an SP2 and nothing further. Win7 saw an SP1, and nothing more. "8" technically saw nothing and was replaced by 8.1, with Microsoft claiming it was an entirely new version of Windows entirely (why not call it 9?). And now 8.1 is to be differentiated between "Update 1" and "Non-Update 1". Really confuses the hell out of people. At least they've been decent about uploading new ISOs to MSDN. You can currently download an ISO with 8.1 Update 1 fully integrated, which is really nice when you're doing lots of fresh installs. I couldn't fathom installing 8, then updating to 8.1, then updating to 8.1 Update 1. That would take years. Not to mention that currently, a fresh install of 8.1 Update 1 (from the new MSDN iso) probably requires little to no patching, as it hasn't been out even a month yet. That is quite nice.

But I think the move away from service packs is really more in line with Apple's yearly (and now free) "major" OS updates. ML to Mavericks comes to mind. I think I'll be content as long as MS keeps pushing out new ISOs. They're such a timesaver. Why should you have to install 100+ patches after a fresh install of the OS? Apple is rather diligent about releasing a new ISO (technically DMG) for every large update they release. The less patching post-install, the better.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

said by Elite:

You can currently download an ISO with 8.1 Update 1 fully integrated, which is really nice when you're doing lots of fresh installs. I couldn't fathom installing 8, then updating to 8.1, then updating to 8.1 Update 1. That would take years. Not to mention that currently, a fresh install of 8.1 Update 1 (from the new MSDN iso) probably requires little to no patching, as it hasn't been out even a month yet. That is quite nice.

I can't download that. Neither can anyone other than corporate users with MSDN accounts. I have Windows 8.0 Pro Media Center. I am stuck with it for the life of this expensive computer that I bought in November 2012. I think 8.0 is superior to 8.1 but I would likely upgrade (just to have access to the patches after Oct 2015) IF it didn't mean that if I ever have to reinstall Windows (and I have upgraded to 8.1.1), I will have to use my Dell Windows 8.0 Pro USB Reinstallation stick to do the original install, then get all the patches. Then go to the Microsoft store and download and install 8.1. Then get the patches. Then use what? where is Update 1 anyway? Anyhow, get 8.1 Update and then get any patches for it. Then go to Windows Components and install Media Center (assuming I have my key still).

I suppose that I can hope that instead of all that insanity that Windows 9 (which will be out before support ends for Windows 8.0) will be decent for DESKTOP NON TOUCH SCREEN users AND will not be expensive.

I think I am done with Microsoft after this computer gets old and probably done with computers. It used to be a lot fun and very interesting (as I didn't grow up with computers but got my first in 1999) but that all changed with Windows 8 even though the hardware I have now is great. What is the worst thing for OEM Windows 8 buyers is that Microsoft deliberately made 8.1 reject Windows 8 OEM Product keys so doing a clean install of 8.1 means that you cannot use even the retail ISO of 8.1 or use the OEM 8.1 media! There is a convoluted solution where you have to deliberately trick the Microsoft installer. The message one derives from this is that Microsoft deliberately screwed OEM users who have any flavor of Windows 8.

rfhar
The World Sport, Played In Every Country
Premium Member
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi

rfhar to Elite

Premium Member

to Elite
said by Elite:

You can currently download an ISO with 8.1 Update 1 fully integrated, which is really nice when you're doing lots of fresh installs.

I went looking for this .iso and cannot find it. It would save me a lot of work in the future If I had it. Where can one download it?

Elite
Kiss My Ass
join:2002-10-03
New Haven, CT
Synology RT2600ac
TP-Link TC-7650
ARRIS SB8200

Elite

said by rfhar:

I went looking for this .iso and cannot find it. It would save me a lot of work in the future If I had it. Where can one download it?

MSDN, of course. »msdn.microsoft.com/subsc ··· FileId=0

rfhar
The World Sport, Played In Every Country
Premium Member
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi

rfhar

Premium Member

Thanks