spc
Search similar:

uniqs
philpense
join:2013-03-02
Washington, DC

philpense

WiFi N Protocol Query

Have a need to acquire USB WiFi adapters as the card slots are full. Have looked a number of reviews but have not seen a review that specifically matches USB WiFi adapters. Hoping for some informed replies

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious

Premium Member

I have one for my laptop and it works great.

»smile.amazon.com/gp/prod ··· DTZYHX4/

jap
Premium Member
join:2003-08-10
038xx

jap to philpense

Premium Member

to philpense
USB net adapters overtook cardbus years ago and dominate the adapter world. They are commodity status and you should have no hesitation making the switch. Use Newegg reviews + sales to find one that sounds good. Recommend ignoring the 'stars' rating: actually read the reviews and look for observations and/or praise which gets mentioned by multiple users. Discount 'it sucks!' and 'it rocks' type reviews.

One of the great advantages they have is ability to employ a USB extension cord and position the adapter itself in a position and location for best transmission/reception. I've a 5" 'gooseneck' cord (stiff so holds position) that lives in my travel bag and has countless times made barely usable signals entirely usable just because I can twist and tweak angles to ideally orient the internal antennas.

I've owned and/or given to friends/family

three of these* (fast, one ran too hot): »www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 33166031
one of these (solid): »www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· C1324651
one of these (total crapware): »www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 33186012
one of these** (too hot, flaky performance) »www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 33315091

and others I can't recall.

- - - - -
* no longer available but Rosewill has a similar 2-antenae 300mbps
** recommend avoiding all the nano sized ones. No reason to go so small and all seem to have "runs hot" complaints

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94 to philpense

Premium Member

to philpense
This one is very strong:

»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 33704053

a_large_rock
join:2003-08-02
L6H0H3

a_large_rock

I went through a few adapters until i found this one; excellent signal strength and speed and very affordable as well. Very good reviews on newegg, i recommend it if you don't mind the antenna size.

»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 33166056