Search similar:

uniqs

morbo
Complete Your Transaction
join:2002-01-22

1 recommendation

morbo

Aereo should win

I will be shocked if Aereo loses. They exist and should continue to exist due to how the law is written. I will be a future customer.
CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium Member
join:2011-08-11
NYC

CXM_Splicer

Premium Member

While I will not be a customer, I agree that legally it looks like they should win. There is a lot of people that think Aereo shouldn't win (and that is a fair position) but that is a different discussion than 'Are they operating under the law'.
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray

They will win, regardless of the legal case against them, as the four affirmed lefties will always vote against private property rights, and they will be joined by several of the alleged conservatives who have misplaced ire for their cable service. I won't be surprised to see Thomas standing alone.

I don't support them, their technical trick isn't any more legit than other rube-goldberg approaches before them, and it isn't the proper approach to solve the issue of program delivery.

But as we don't see our "leaders" negotiating or legislating to update us from 1992 and 1996, Aereo may be this generation's Betamax, and a favorable ruling may very well become the catalyst for radical change.
pandora
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Outland

pandora

Premium Member

said by elray:

They will win, regardless of the legal case against them, as the four affirmed lefties will always vote against private property rights, and they will be joined by several of the alleged conservatives who have misplaced ire for their cable service. I won't be surprised to see Thomas standing alone.

The current administration has filed a brief opposing Aereo. If we assume President Obama is a liberal, and opposes Aereo, how do you rationalize liberals on the Supreme Court behaving opposite to those in the Executive?

You can read the government brief here - »www.scribd.com/doc/21037 ··· edStates

The Obama administration conclusion regarding Aereo follows

The judgment of the court of appeals should be reversed.

Respectfully submitted.
Jacqueline C. Charlesworth
General Counsel

The Solicitor General and the Principal Deputy Solicitor General are recused in this case.

I do not know if this is a liberal or conservative issue, but am surprised to think you believe liberals in power support Aereo. Personally I believe those in power support others in power, thus Republicans and Democrats, conservative and liberal, likely do not support Aereo.

Hope and change was nonsense. It got a guy elected, but it's the same story, increasing government power, decreasing civil rights. Doesn't matter left or right who is in power.

Pyrrhic
@comcast.net

Pyrrhic to elray

Anon

to elray
If Aereo wins it will be a Pyrrhic victory because the OTA broadcasters will shut down and move to cable only delivery. They will have a legal win, but no business to run.
elray
Santa Monica, CA

elray

Indeed, that is one possible scenario - but it wouldn't be the disaster that you suggest. A significant percentage of the OTA viewers would relent and pay, and just as we saw free HDTV converters ... funded by our tax dollars, who is to say the networks might not get themselves free carriage for non-paying satellite customers as part of the deal to liquidate the spectrum?
CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium Member
join:2011-08-11
NYC

CXM_Splicer to Pyrrhic

Premium Member

to Pyrrhic
said by Pyrrhic :

If Aereo wins it will be a Pyrrhic victory because the OTA broadcasters will shut down and move to cable only delivery.

Why would the shareholders allow them to throw away a revenue stream out of spite? Their greed makes them very predictable... they won't. They can talk all the shit they want but in the end, it would be a bad business decision.

If they are childish enough to actually do it then I say good riddance.
pandora
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Outland

pandora to Pyrrhic

Premium Member

to Pyrrhic
The Aereo brief indicates 90% of broadcasters revenue is from advertising, only 10% from cable and satellite fees. Shutting down OTA would be fiscal suicide.

If a broadcaster shuts down valuable spectrum, shareholders will revolt, and if the signal went dark, for the first time in many years, spectrum would be available for new broadcasters. How is this a bad thing?
elray
Santa Monica, CA

elray to CXM_Splicer

to CXM_Splicer
said by CXM_Splicer:

Why would the shareholders allow them to throw away a revenue stream out of spite? Their greed makes them very predictable... they won't. They can talk all the shit they want but in the end, it would be a bad business decision.

If they are childish enough to actually do it then I say good riddance.

It is neither spiteful nor childish, it is simply business, and the shareholders will approve, and in the end, they will net more revenue.

I don't want to see OTA go away, but the fact is it is dying, the result of the epic fail that was the DTV conversion. You can't go to a single showroom here and find a set that will tune every local station, despite having an aerial on top the building aimed at the one mountaintop where all of the transmitters are sited.