Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

1 edit

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

[Equip] I think I'm going to need a new router

Moved out of the "Comcast 2014 Side Discussion about Doubling Speeds" topic

I think I'm going to need a new router, I was told by the salesman at Best Buy that the Netgear N600 WDNR 3400 was all I needed and that anything above that would be a waste of money. Now I feel cheated as I can barely pull the speeds that I am now getting with the 105.

Now I need something better now that I can't pull decent speeds. Maybe a Comcast Gateway. Or maybe another Apple Airport Extreme.

Desii
join:2014-02-25
Yuba City, CA

Desii

[Equip] Re: [Speed] Comcast 2014 Side Discussion about Doubling Speeds

If you want the best N router, then you should get the Asus RT-N66U(R/W). If you want the best AC router, then you should get the Netgear Nighthawk R7000 or Asus RT-AC68U

Reference: »www.smallnetbuilder.com/ ··· 0?rank=6

YukonHawk
join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY

1 edit

YukonHawk to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

Now I need something better now that I can't pull decent speeds. Maybe a Comcast Gateway. Or maybe another Apple Airport Extreme.

Hey Iowa...Do you have the 5th gen Apple router? I bought mine in 2011. I was using the 5GHz band and I was getting the new speeds on the 105/10 plan. I was pulling down 110/12 with no problem. The transmit rate on the 5GHz band was 300. I tried a new speed test and my speed went to crap at 15/6. These are really bad. Nothing in my household changed as far as new wireless connections and when I use iStumbler to view other networks in my area I am the only one 5GHz. Unless someone has hidden their SSID I am at a total loss as to why my speeds are total crap on that band. When I switch back to 2.4 my speeds top out 75/12 where the transmit rate is 130. I can live with that as before I was only pulling down 56/11 before the free upgrade. Guess I may need a new router also. I am open to suggestions on either topic. Thanks.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA

Premium Member

Yeah, 3x3 5ghz N with 40mhz channels is perfectly capable of doing it. My ASUS RT-N66U is 3x3, my 5ghz channels are at 40mhz, and I'm using an Apple laptop from 2011.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to YukonHawk

Premium Member

to YukonHawk
I have the fourth generation AirPort Extreme N. I retired it after it's performance declined.

YukonHawk
Patterson, NY

YukonHawk to BiggA

to BiggA
Thx Bigg. Exactly. I guess someone else in the hood is using a wide channel setting and my router is playing 'Mr Nice Guy' and backing off and using the 20 band. Ahh well. Guess I'll have to figure if I get an N or AC by Asus. Oh the decisions....

Also thx Iowa.

owlyn
MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA

owlyn

MVM

The AC doesn't cost a whole lot more.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to BiggA

to BiggA
All I know is that the Linksys router I mentioned has been touted as the fastest thing ever tested by CNET and PC World. »www.pcworld.com/article/ ··· ted.html
»www.cnet.com/products/li ··· -router/

YukonHawk
Patterson, NY

YukonHawk

Pc World and CNET loved it but Small Net Builder wasn't so high on it »www.smallnetbuilder.com/ ··· r-review
Everything is subjective. To me it seems like one heck of a router.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA to YukonHawk

Premium Member

to YukonHawk
AC66U is DD-WRT capable... AC68U isn't as of yet, IIRC.
BiggA

BiggA to Mike Wolf

Premium Member

to Mike Wolf
Intersting. If that thing does get picked up by DD-WRT and others, it could be the new king. For now, the ASUS RT-AC66U is king. There's also the ASUS RT-AC87U coming with the quad antennas and beam forming...

YukonHawk
Patterson, NY

1 edit

YukonHawk to BiggA

to BiggA

Re: [Speed] Comcast 2014 Side Discussion about Doubling Speeds

said by BiggA:

I also heard that that the Tomato firmware is very stable and robust.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

1 edit

Darknessfall to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy

[Equip] Re: I think I'm going to need a new router

Are you going to actually use 5 GHz? If not, you could save quite a bit of money. Posting on this forum is going to leave you with suggestions costing hundreds of dollars :P.

It would be pretty useless for you to get an AC router at this point. All of your clients don't support it.

hortnut
Huh?
join:2005-09-25
PDX Metro

hortnut to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy

Re: [Equip] I think I'm going to need a new router

I was having some other problems with connections and speed, so I thought I should check my Laptop's features.

I will throw this is the mix. My Laptop has the Intel Centrino N1030 + Bluetooth Combo card. Checking the Specs on Intel, it only supports 2.4 Ghz. Found I can buy a new card on Ebay that includes 5 Ghz for little money.

Good or bad, this Dell is easy to disassemble, but from the manual it looks like I have to almost take the entire thing apart. Not like other Dells I have had.
Bink
Villains... knock off all that evil
join:2006-05-14
Colorado

Bink

said by hortnut:

I was having some other problems with connections and speed, so I thought I should check my Laptop's features.

I second this—while your router/AP might be able to do over 100Mbps, your client might not.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

I decided for now that I'm going to use the Comcast gateway for now, I have a lot going on right now with grandma being in rehab and we might be moving to Maine. Too bad the Time Warner acquisition couldn't be done faster, I'd like to keep my comcast.net e-mail addresses.

Life is stressful right now with everything going on.

This is my speed test plugged directly into the gateway

This is my speed test from it's Wi-Fi

I did ask about the Cisco DPC3939 at the office, they said the Arris TG862G is the only one they had. Another clerk said the XB3 (as he called it) was for new triple play customers with Xfinity home security.
IowaCowboy

IowaCowboy to Bink

Premium Member

to Bink
These are all newer devices, the most recent being an iPhone 5s. All of my current devices are 802.11n compatible.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

4 edits

Darknessfall to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

I did ask about the Cisco DPC3939 at the office, they said the Arris TG862G is the only one they had. Another clerk said the XB3 (as he called it) was for new triple play customers with Xfinity home security.

Yeah, I mentioned that in your other thread. You won't get a DPC3939 in a Comcast office.

Make sure you set the gateway to either channel 1,6, or 11.

Look out for the self install kit charge that they're probably going to charge you. There may also be a service change charge on top of that. Plus, don't forget about the prorated charge of the gateway's fee. That'll make it a little more expensive for the next month.

All of those things considered, you probably would've been better off buying a N300 router with gigabit for $35 or a N450/N600 with gigabit for $45ish. Especially since the TG862 gateways have terrible range. If you saw my post in another thread, even the Chromecast has better range than the gateway.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

So checking the diagnostic page of the gateway, I'm noticing it's saying "in process" under registering with call server.

Is this normal with a gateway/phone modem that is HSI only.

Anyways, they gave me an IP address that's associated with Chicago and I'm in Springfield, MA. Makes me closer to my hometown, virtually.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

GeoLocating via IP is crap don't worry about that.

train_wreck
slow this bird down
join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN
Cisco ASA 5506
Cisco DPC3939

train_wreck to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
i don't have one, but a few of the TM722Gs i have seen, will say that if the account holder is not paying for voice service.

and lol on the IP, one of my 5 comcast IPs says i'm in wichita, Kansas

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

I'd tell em you want a battery or two.

train_wreck
slow this bird down
join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN
Cisco ASA 5506
Cisco DPC3939

train_wreck

said by DarkLogix:

i wasn't talking about the 'BATTERY MISSING", instead the "in process" value for "Telephony-TFTP". i've seen that on my friends TM722G becuase he used to have voice service, then cancelled, and it says that ever since.

mahicks
join:2001-06-20
Tallahassee, FL

mahicks to BiggA

to BiggA

Re: [Equip] Re: [Speed] Comcast 2014 Side Discussion about Doubling Speeds

Sorry BiggA. It will not be supported by DD WRT for a VERY long time and I cannot speak for Tomato but unless they decide to actually release some real drivers and code to play with, there are many great "Tomato Friendly" routers out and on the horizon to keep developers busy.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to train_wreck

Premium Member

to train_wreck

said by train_wreck:

said by DarkLogix:

i wasn't talking about the 'BATTERY MISSING", instead the "in process" value for "Telephony-TFTP". i've seen that on my friends TM722G becuase he used to have voice service, then cancelled, and it says that ever since.

I know that, but as the user doesn't have voice I'd be more interested in getting the battery.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to mahicks

to mahicks

Re: [Equip] Re: [Speed] Comcast 2014 Side Discussion about Doubling Speeds

Let's not throw in the towel yet, the router has only been for sale less then a week and has been in peoples hands even less then that.

TAZ
join:2014-01-03
Tucson, AZ

TAZ to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy

said by IowaCowboy:

I think I'm going to need a new router, I was told by the salesman at Best Buy that the Netgear N600 WDNR 3400 was all I needed and that anything above that would be a waste of money. Now I feel cheated as I can barely pull the speeds that I am now getting with the 105.

Wow, a Best Buy salesman lied to you to sell you some POS? Really?!? Hard to believe! /sarcasm
nicknack4
join:2004-12-25
Wynnewood, PA

1 edit

nicknack4 to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
Instead of spending hundreds on a new router, you can continue to use the old router. For less than $10 on Amazon, just stick a wireless adapter (less than size of a quarter) into a USB port of your computer. It won't be connected by wire to a non-gigabit port on your router, but will now be connected wirelessly with (capable) speeds up to 300.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by nicknack4:

Instead of spending hundreds on a new router, you can continue to use the old router. For less than $10 on Amazon, just stick a wireless adapter (less than size of a quarter) into a USB port of your computer. It won't be connected by wire to a non-gigabit port on your router, but will now be connected wirelessly with (capable) speeds up to 300.

That's not his problem. His problem is that his WAN is 100 Mbps since it's the WNDR3400.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to nicknack4

Premium Member

to nicknack4
Like I said, the computers aren't the issue. They have wireless cards that are N compatible up to 300 Mbps. A 2011 MacBook Pro is definitely going to have wireless capabilities at least 300 Mbps if not more. The only computer I have that still has 802.11 b/g is a 2003 MacBook Pro and I can't remember the last time I fired that up.

The problem is the bottleneck is between the router and the modem as it's only fast Ethernet and not gigabit Ethernet.