Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mahicks

join:2001-06-20
Tallahassee, FL
reply to Mike Wolf

Re: [Equip] Re: [Speed] Comcast 2014 Side Discussion about Doubling Speeds

I am not throwing in the towel yet Mike. I really hope someone takes this on a project. However, I helped on some of the DD-WRT ports in the past, especially around drivers and hardware integration and I still keep up with those in the know and it is going to be a very long road at best unless something changes...

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:5
I'm not familiar with how third party firmware works and all but I'm thinking that when Linksys releases the source code kits and stuff that it'll be a lot easier right?
--
I'm always up for a good chat and helping with tech problems.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
said by Mike Wolf:

I'm not familiar with how third party firmware works and all but I'm thinking that when Linksys releases the source code kits and stuff that it'll be a lot easier right?

Well sometimes the open source code may have closed source bits that ether have to be backward engineered or somehow worked around.

Personally sometime ago I wanted an 3rd party firmware for my old BEFVP41 and well there wasn't any interest
--
semper idem
1KTzRMxN1a2ATrtAAvbmEnMBoY3E2kHtyv

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
That is a good point that it the availably of third party firmware is dependent on the popularity in the community.
--

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
If someone made a 3rd party firmware for the BEFVP41 I might still see if I could find the power brick and mess with it (though guess I should just trash my Linksys stuff)
--
semper idem
1KTzRMxN1a2ATrtAAvbmEnMBoY3E2kHtyv

mahicks

join:2001-06-20
Tallahassee, FL
reply to Mike Wolf
Hi Mike. Sorry for the delay in the posts. Long days at work!.
Linksys has already released a lot of "source code" for the new router but unfortunately it was an SDK offering. An SDK is not really open source at all. Its kind of like being given a program to "customize" something but still play within the owners rules. However, the biggest elephant in the room is the fact that nobody has a usable driver for the Marvell chipset. Without a driver, albeit, open source or not it will be a tough port. The current driver from Marvell uses non standard API's so even if you could figure out how to port the thing to 3rd party firmware it would be no different than running windows over Mac OS using a VM...

Like I said before, I really hope someone takes it up as project. I do not have the time and truly do no not have the savvy to do so on my own without someone else doing some serious heavy lifting.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to IowaCowboy

Re: [Equip] I think I'm going to need a new router

I am looking at the Netgear N600 Cable Modem router combination. Any thoughts on this. Anyone used this.

I know people have their thoughts on combo units but space on my power strips is at a premium.

I might drop the $129 on this.
--
Stop the Comcast-Time Warner merger, I'd rather Time Warner buy out Comcast.

Darknessfall
Premium
join:2012-08-17
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse

2 edits
said by IowaCowboy:

I am looking at the Netgear N600 Cable Modem router combination. Any thoughts on this. Anyone used this.

I know people have their thoughts on combo units but space on my power strips is at a premium.

I might drop the $129 on this.

Don't you still have your SB6141? It would be a waste to spend so much on a combo when you already have a modem.

Do you actually need 5 GHz?

If you only want to use 2.4 GHz, I would get this:

»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· orebbr=1
Set it to Speedboost mode and you have a 3x3 router.

If you need dual band, I would get this:
»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· orebbr=1

Darknessfall
Premium
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to IowaCowboy
I HIGHLY suggest you don't spend more/purchase items other than what I posted above. Use your SB6141 with either depending on what you need(5 GHz or no 5 GHz).

Do NOT spend more than what is posted above. I say that since you're going to end up replacing a $200 router(or $129 gateway) a few months down the road. I also suggest not spending a lot because based on your past post, you said you didn't have a lot to spend. I do not want you spending more than you should be.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to IowaCowboy
I would never recommend the use of a combo device. One thing breaks on it or Comcast screws something up on their end (like the infamous Netgear fiasco in California in 2012 »www.zatznotfunny.com/201 ··· -glitch/) plus the wireless performance is always lacking.
--

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to Darknessfall
$129 is in my budget.

I might buy an Apple AirPort Express. I have a four port Netgear Ethernet Switch I can use. Then I can get a pair of computer Speakers and stream my iTunes library through its audio out.

Or I could move all my devices to wireless and the only device I'd need a Ethernet port for is the Xfinity Home control hub.

I might also buy the Asus RT N66u.
--

Darknessfall
Premium
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse

4 edits
said by IowaCowboy:

$129 is in my budget.

I might buy an Apple AirPort Express. I have a four port Netgear Ethernet Switch I can use. Then I can get a pair of computer Speakers and stream my iTunes library through its audio out.

Or I could move all my devices to wireless and the only device I'd need a Ethernet port for is the Xfinity Home control hub.

The airport express is only 100 Ethernet.

I wouldn't buy the RT-N66 unless you are interested in using 3rd party firmware. The stock firmware is usually too buggy/slow.

If you're only interested in going to Best Buy, I would get the EA6300(if they're still selling the EA6400 copy). It's pretty good on 5 GHz if you're going to begin using it. I wouldn't use it for 2.4 GHz though.

If you want airplay, there's this as an add-on:
»www.amazon.com/gp/produc ··· 0GMA2VXQ

GusHerb94

join:2011-11-04
Chicago, IL

2 edits
said by Darknessfall:

said by IowaCowboy:

$129 is in my budget.

I wouldn't buy the RT-N66 unless you are interested in using 3rd party firmware. The stock firmware is usually too buggy/slow.

If you're only interested in going to Best Buy, I would get the EA6300(if they're still selling the EA6400 copy). It's pretty good on 5 GHz if you're going to begin using it. I wouldn't use it for 2.4 GHz though.

I thought the stock firmware for the RT-N66U was Tomato based and also pretty good. I use an RT-AC66U personally with the Merlin variant of the stock firmware (same as stock but more nerdy features added in) and it's been by far the most stable router I've ever used. (Superb distance on the 2.4 band too)

Also the RT-N66U is one of the best routers for using third party firmware on.

I say for 129 you can't go wrong with an RT-N66U. I'm not a huge Netgear fan, some of the models are very reliable but after having an R6300 AC router that was causing higher latency all across the board I decided on the Asus and sold the Netgear after that and haven't looked back since.

I'm not a huge fan of Linksys either, especially since they went to their "Cloud router" setup, a lot of the ways they've implemented that irks me, plus the real life performance of many of them just seems to be a bit behind Asus and even Netgear. I don't hear great things about long range performance on some models either. Things are starting to look more promising for them since Belkin has bought them out though, I like how they've brought back the WRT style for their latest flagship. No idea how good it is though.

As for you personally it's probably ideal to hold off for an AC router like the RT-AC66U as I go back and remember that you have the 105 tier now.

Darknessfall
Premium
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse
said by GusHerb94:

said by Darknessfall:

said by IowaCowboy:

$129 is in my budget.

I thought the stock firmware for the RT-N66U was Tomato based and also pretty good. I use an RT-AC66U personally with the Merlin variant of the stock firmware (same as stock but more nerdy features added in) and it's been by far the most stable router I've ever used. (Superb distance on the 2.4 band too)

Also the RT-N66U is one of the best routers for using third party firmware on.

I say for 129 you can't go wrong with an RT-N66U. I'm not a huge Netgear fan, some of the models are very reliable but after having an R6300 AC router that was causing higher latency all across the board I decided on the Asus and sold the Netgear after that and haven't looked back since.

Most of the stock firmwares for the RT-N66 have been kind of bleh. A lot of people complain about the poor performance/issues. Merlin's firmware is much better.

owlyn
Premium,MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to GusHerb94
said by GusHerb94:

I use an RT-AC66U personally with the Merlin variant of the stock firmware (same as stock but more nerdy features added in) and it's been by far the most stable router I've ever used.

I am also using the RT-AC66. I agree- it has been the most stable router I've had. I am also using Merlin's firmware, but for some of the additional features- I didn't find the stock firmware to have any problems. I've found the WiFi range to be about the same as my old Netgear WNDR3400, maybe a tad better on 2.4.

GusHerb94

join:2011-11-04
Chicago, IL
said by owlyn:

said by GusHerb94:

I use an RT-AC66U personally with the Merlin variant of the stock firmware (same as stock but more nerdy features added in) and it's been by far the most stable router I've ever used.

I am also using the RT-AC66. I agree- it has been the most stable router I've had. I am also using Merlin's firmware, but for some of the additional features- I didn't find the stock firmware to have any problems. I've found the WiFi range to be about the same as my old Netgear WNDR3400, maybe a tad better on 2.4.

I did have a problem surface a couple days after a power outage this past week with mine which surfaced in the form of the 5G side of the wifi being real slow and laggy, which lead to me attempting an update and having it not take on multiple attempts. A reset to default then flashing the latest stock firmware, then flashing back to the latest Merlin FW fixed that. In 12 months that's literally the first quirk, glitch, any kind of issue I've ever had with it. And I can't say that there weren't other tech related incidents in my house after that power outage too, the Redlink radio on my Honeywell Prestige IAQ thermostat locked up and required a full system reboot, and a couple other things acted out too.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to Darknessfall
and that four port Netgear switch is only 100 Ethernet too so it'd never support the full 100+ internet speed.
--

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
Actually I have the gigabit Ethernet switch.

Thank you Darknessfall See Profile for giving me the heads up on the AirPort Express being only 100 Ethernet.

I might go with the Asus RT-N66u or if I'm really ambitious another Apple AirPort Extreme or the Netgear Nighthawk.

The only advantage of combo router units is it only uses one power outlet and outlets in my bedroom are at a premium. The modem is plugged into the same power strip as the TV and associated equipment (DirecTV receiver and Cinema Connection Kit, Gaming console, Blu-Ray player, etc). And wall warts take up more than outlets.
--

blackflag

join:2006-01-31
Lakeland, FL
reply to IowaCowboy
Netgear wnr3500L. Gigabit WAN and LAN... make sure your machine is Gigabit Lan and you're good to go.

Picked mine up at Tiger for about 40 bucks... Tomato firmware compatible... DD-wrt does work but not well. Go with OpenWRT or Tomato and you'll have a bulletproof router

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to mahicks

Re: [Equip] Re: [Speed] Comcast 2014 Side Discussion about Doubling Speeds

True, though I'm just waiting for the matching network switch that's supposed to go with the router.
--

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
It's here!!!! »store.linksys.com/Linksy ··· prod.htm
--