YukonHawk
join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY

1 edit

YukonHawk to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy

[Equip] Re: [Speed] Comcast 2014 Side Discussion about Doubling Speeds

said by IowaCowboy:

Now I need something better now that I can't pull decent speeds. Maybe a Comcast Gateway. Or maybe another Apple Airport Extreme.

Hey Iowa...Do you have the 5th gen Apple router? I bought mine in 2011. I was using the 5GHz band and I was getting the new speeds on the 105/10 plan. I was pulling down 110/12 with no problem. The transmit rate on the 5GHz band was 300. I tried a new speed test and my speed went to crap at 15/6. These are really bad. Nothing in my household changed as far as new wireless connections and when I use iStumbler to view other networks in my area I am the only one 5GHz. Unless someone has hidden their SSID I am at a total loss as to why my speeds are total crap on that band. When I switch back to 2.4 my speeds top out 75/12 where the transmit rate is 130. I can live with that as before I was only pulling down 56/11 before the free upgrade. Guess I may need a new router also. I am open to suggestions on either topic. Thanks.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA

Premium Member

Yeah, 3x3 5ghz N with 40mhz channels is perfectly capable of doing it. My ASUS RT-N66U is 3x3, my 5ghz channels are at 40mhz, and I'm using an Apple laptop from 2011.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to YukonHawk

Premium Member

to YukonHawk
I have the fourth generation AirPort Extreme N. I retired it after it's performance declined.

YukonHawk
Patterson, NY

YukonHawk to BiggA

to BiggA
Thx Bigg. Exactly. I guess someone else in the hood is using a wide channel setting and my router is playing 'Mr Nice Guy' and backing off and using the 20 band. Ahh well. Guess I'll have to figure if I get an N or AC by Asus. Oh the decisions....

Also thx Iowa.

owlyn
MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA

owlyn

MVM

The AC doesn't cost a whole lot more.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to BiggA

to BiggA
All I know is that the Linksys router I mentioned has been touted as the fastest thing ever tested by CNET and PC World. »www.pcworld.com/article/ ··· ted.html
»www.cnet.com/products/li ··· -router/

YukonHawk
Patterson, NY

YukonHawk

Pc World and CNET loved it but Small Net Builder wasn't so high on it »www.smallnetbuilder.com/ ··· r-review
Everything is subjective. To me it seems like one heck of a router.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA to YukonHawk

Premium Member

to YukonHawk
AC66U is DD-WRT capable... AC68U isn't as of yet, IIRC.
BiggA

BiggA to Mike Wolf

Premium Member

to Mike Wolf
Intersting. If that thing does get picked up by DD-WRT and others, it could be the new king. For now, the ASUS RT-AC66U is king. There's also the ASUS RT-AC87U coming with the quad antennas and beam forming...

YukonHawk
Patterson, NY

1 edit

YukonHawk to BiggA

to BiggA

Re: [Speed] Comcast 2014 Side Discussion about Doubling Speeds

said by BiggA:

I also heard that that the Tomato firmware is very stable and robust.

mahicks
join:2001-06-20
Tallahassee, FL

mahicks to BiggA

to BiggA

Re: [Equip] Re: [Speed] Comcast 2014 Side Discussion about Doubling Speeds

Sorry BiggA. It will not be supported by DD WRT for a VERY long time and I cannot speak for Tomato but unless they decide to actually release some real drivers and code to play with, there are many great "Tomato Friendly" routers out and on the horizon to keep developers busy.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Let's not throw in the towel yet, the router has only been for sale less then a week and has been in peoples hands even less then that.

mahicks
Tallahassee, FL

mahicks

I am not throwing in the towel yet Mike. I really hope someone takes this on a project. However, I helped on some of the DD-WRT ports in the past, especially around drivers and hardware integration and I still keep up with those in the know and it is going to be a very long road at best unless something changes...

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

I'm not familiar with how third party firmware works and all but I'm thinking that when Linksys releases the source code kits and stuff that it'll be a lot easier right?

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

said by Mike Wolf:

I'm not familiar with how third party firmware works and all but I'm thinking that when Linksys releases the source code kits and stuff that it'll be a lot easier right?

Well sometimes the open source code may have closed source bits that ether have to be backward engineered or somehow worked around.

Personally sometime ago I wanted an 3rd party firmware for my old BEFVP41 and well there wasn't any interest

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

That is a good point that it the availably of third party firmware is dependent on the popularity in the community.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

If someone made a 3rd party firmware for the BEFVP41 I might still see if I could find the power brick and mess with it (though guess I should just trash my Linksys stuff)

mahicks
Tallahassee, FL

mahicks to Mike Wolf

to Mike Wolf
Hi Mike. Sorry for the delay in the posts. Long days at work!.
Linksys has already released a lot of "source code" for the new router but unfortunately it was an SDK offering. An SDK is not really open source at all. Its kind of like being given a program to "customize" something but still play within the owners rules. However, the biggest elephant in the room is the fact that nobody has a usable driver for the Marvell chipset. Without a driver, albeit, open source or not it will be a tough port. The current driver from Marvell uses non standard API's so even if you could figure out how to port the thing to 3rd party firmware it would be no different than running windows over Mac OS using a VM...

Like I said before, I really hope someone takes it up as project. I do not have the time and truly do no not have the savvy to do so on my own without someone else doing some serious heavy lifting.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

True, though I'm just waiting for the matching network switch that's supposed to go with the router.
Mike Wolf

Mike Wolf

It's here!!!! »store.linksys.com/Linksy ··· prod.htm