spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

lmacmil

join:2001-01-26
South Bend, IN

[memory] SD card became unreadable - why?

I have a Transcend 8GB class 10 in a Panasonic/Lumix digital camera (point and shoot). I had shot hundreds of pictures on it when the camera stopped recognizing the card. Couldn't be read by a card reader either. I found some software and was able to recover the pictures before I re-formatted it.

The camera is relatively new and I have never used a Transcend brand card before (or an SDHC card or a class 10 card.)

What would you suspect was the most likely culprit in screwing up the card: the camera or something in the card itself? I will be carrying a spare card or two before my next trip.

Dogg
Premium
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL

Could be either the card, camera, or mishandling (such as removing the card with the camera on). In any event, until/unless it happens again, I wouldn't worry about it.
--
Google is your Friend

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO
reply to lmacmil

I've had this happen before, question: did you format the card originally on the camera or the pc? I had a camera (some off brand digital) that would work 80% of the time if the card wasn't formatted on the camera itself.

I have had several cameras good and bad do this to a card when the card is ejected while in use... simple workaround: power down camera always before ejecting the card.

wolfy339

join:2005-04-30
Edmonds, WA
reply to lmacmil

Another thing I would look at is if you have a computer with an SD Card reader I would stick the card in and see if the computer recognizes it. You may want to run a chkdsk on it if formatted FAT32 or NTFS (presuming said compter is running some flavor of Windows)
--
Computer: Antec 850w PSU, ASUS M4A89GTDPRO-USB3, AMD Phenom II x4 955 @ 3.2GHZ, ATI Radeon 5770, SB XFI Fatal1ty, 8GB Kingston DDR3, Windows 7 Ultimate x64, KIS 2012, Samsung SyncMaster 2443BWX, Frontier DSL 768/128 w/ Westell 6100 C90 & Linksys WRT120N

lmacmil

join:2001-01-26
South Bend, IN
reply to dib22

said by dib22:

did you format the card originally on the camera or the pc?
power down camera always before ejecting the card.

I don't recall but I did format it in the camera once I recovered my pictures. I never remove the card with the camera on, so that wasn't the issue.

Thanks.

Old Timer

join:2002-03-01
reply to lmacmil

Put one in my shirt pocket and forgot it there. It went through the wash and dryer with no problems. Everything was still on it!!

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback
reply to lmacmil

If you have any more troubles, try this tool:

»www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/