Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

[Tools] Milwaukee M18 cordless drill

Anyone know about these? The way the seller worded it on ebay was that it works, so I put in my M18 battery and squeeze the trigger and nothing but the LED light comes on..

No rotation of the motor at all.. I know I heard of some issues with the switches but I don't remember off hand what it was..

Start at the switch first I guess?

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO

nunya

MVM

[Tools] Re: Milwaukee M18 cordless drill

Is it "brushless" (Fuel)?

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

Both m18 and fuel are brushless

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya

MVM

Not all M18 are brushless. I have 1 M18 drill that is. I have another and an impact that are not. The "Fuel" name designates brushless. Otherwise, it's a standard brushed motor.
It sounds like you have a Fuel. There's a lot that can go wrong. Usually it's the ECM inside that fails on BLDC motors (not the motor itself). Since you squeeze the trigger and the LED flashlight comes on, I'd put my money on a bad ECM.
The cheapest ECM I could find in a quick search was $125.00.
I'd return it. If they won't take it back, invoke buyer protection.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

Here is the parts list for mine

»www.ereplacementparts.co ··· 147.html

I just got in so I wont be able to open it up tonight

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
O Fallon, MO

nunya

MVM

That's not a "Fuel" device. Yours has a brushed motor.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

I will look at the brushes when I get home
Subaru

Subaru

Premium Member

Re: [Tools] Milwaukee M18 cordless drill

Why was this thread moved from electronics to home improvement?
Subaru

Subaru

Premium Member

Looks like one of the switching regulators burned up, not too hard to smell it and see the white and cracked case.

Can a mod please move this over the electronics...

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by Subaru:

Looks like one of the switching regulators burned up, not too hard to smell it and see the white and cracked case.

Can a mod please move this over the electronics...

I never realized a battery drill was classified as "electronics" More like tool to me.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

3 edits

Subaru

Premium Member

Because it has a burned out switching regulator in it...

*edit

So I have a Milwaukee M18 hammer/drill.. checked all the brushes and all but when I opened the tool I saw one of the MOSFETs burned and has a white mark and a cracked case.

I checked the first one and I'm able to read the info the case which is IRF1404Z I can't see the second one because of the burn marks but I assume it's the same..

Checked the first good MOSFET and between the Gate and Source and each press of the trigger shows 20V

I was trying to check the bad one.. and well my probe for my meter slipped.. not only did the drill spin it let out more magic smoke (lol) and the leg pretty much vaporized..

I'm almost 95% sure it's the same IRF1404Z

I will throw some pictures up

I cross referenced the IRF1404Z to the STP200NF04 that sounds right?

OK just to be sure I ordered one of each.. the IRF1404ZGPBF & STP200NF04
Subaru

Subaru

Premium Member

I do have a question about the Continuous Drain Current.. so the IRF1404Z has a max Continuous Drain Current of 190A I assume something like that wont been seen unless you try and operated a locked motor?
joel321
join:2013-04-13
USA

joel321 to Subaru

to Subaru
I have the m18 fuel (fule=brushless) and I don't like it over dewalt brushless drill...anyways...the trigger should have protective electronics to not fry the batteries nor the motor... so yes, the electronics burned before the motor or the battery pack did...which you mentioned as a locked motor...that can mean a lot of things...the guy drilling may have hit a nail in wood...or he was using a very dull 2” drill bit to drill in wood....two things you can do...replaces the burned components and hope none of the others went...or just buy a trigger that costs 60 something bucks...

you also bring a good point how a lot of people don't teach others how to fix their tools...if the problem turns out to be just a one dollar component, no one out there will tell others this and they just throw away the tool or buy a trigger (which replacement parts are mostly over priced)....good luck.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

Click for full size
Click for full size
Yeah the switch which includes the PCB board is $62

The MOSFET was only $3.50, it's rather simple in the drill..

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
O Fallon, MO

2 recommendations

nunya to Subaru

MVM

to Subaru
I hope you got a REALLY good deal on it.

SparkChaser
Premium Member
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA

3 recommendations

SparkChaser to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru
Are you putting LEDS on it?

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

Has one already
Subaru

Subaru to nunya

Premium Member

to nunya
I think I did lol

»www.ebay.com/itm/1113238 ··· 97.l2649

To be fair I could leave bad feedback but I haven't left anything yet
Subaru

Subaru

Premium Member

So a little update on what happened when I put in the new part.. the drill spun for about a second then the switch that houses the trigger popped and I guess something with the contact that moves to make the contact must of burned up.

lol oh well guess I will just order the whole switch that includes everything else
iknow_t
join:2012-05-03

iknow_t

said by Subaru:

So a little update on what happened when I put in the new part.. the drill spun for about a second then the switch that houses the trigger popped and I guess something with the contact that moves to make the contact must of burned up.

lol oh well guess I will just order the whole switch that includes everything else

it seems the potentiometer in the switch fried because there was a shorted MOSFET.. were both MOSFETS replaced?

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

said by iknow_t:

said by Subaru:

it seems the potentiometer in the switch fried because there was a shorted MOSFET.. were both MOSFETS replaced?

Yep
ImpetusEra
Premium Member
join:2004-05-19

ImpetusEra to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru
said by Subaru:

I think I did lol

»www.ebay.com/itm/1113238 ··· 97.l2649

To be fair I could leave bad feedback but I haven't left anything yet

I wouldn't waste any more money on that, it looks beat up to me. If the switch module is $62 then put that money towards a refurbished one that will be in good condition. They're $74 from CPO.

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV

Hank

Premium Member

I would have immediately filed an action with ebay and I would not hesitate to provide feedback positive or negative as long as it was accurate and honest. I agree with ImpetusEra the item looks beat up.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru to ImpetusEra

Premium Member

to ImpetusEra
I need to get the M18 SDS drill by this weekend
ImpetusEra
Premium Member
join:2004-05-19

ImpetusEra

Premium Member

said by Subaru:

I need to get the M18 SDS drill by this weekend

For money you can get whatever you want same or next day. That drill you have now is a regular hammer drill for small stuff like tapcons. SDS is a rotary hammer which is a different animal.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

Yeah I know what a SDS is for but I'm not sure the drill could do a 4" deep hole in brick

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya to Subaru

MVM

to Subaru
I think you got burned on this one. That thing you bought looks like a turd. It looks worse than my drill that I use every working day.
I'd cut my losses and file a claim with eBay.
You can buy a *brand new* 2602 bare tool for $99.

LMK if you get the SDS. I've been thinking about it, but they don't have a demo for me to test at the supply house. I don't like buying anything I can't try first.
nunya

1 recommendation

nunya

MVM

Scratch that, I found the 2602 for $75 and free shipping on Amazon.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru to nunya

Premium Member

to nunya
lol I know what you mean about the demo.. On Friday I just took the battery pack from the Fuel and put it on the SDS because I was curious about the sound.. As of right now I'm 90% sure I will be getting it this Friday..

The funny thing is HD says it's not sold in my store but I saw at least 4 of them on the shelf.

I would feel better doing a 3/8" hole at 4" then trying to use a hammer/drill
Subaru

Subaru

Premium Member

Click for full size
Seller just responded at least he is going to make good on it