share rss forum feed

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium,VIP
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL

1 recommendation

Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr Released

Today Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr was released.

Some new features.
1. Configurable launcher size. The launcher can go from 16px - 48 px.
2. Volume past 100%.
3. System menus can be part of the window (instead of the top Unity bar) when an application is not full-screen.
4. Live window resizing. When windows are resized the window is repainted in real-time. (Long, long, overdue.)
5. Retina support. Unity can now be scaled to support subpixel displays.

»www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2014/03/7-ub···ull-love

»releases.ubuntu.com/14.04/
--
"Padre, nobody said war was fun now bowl!" - Sherman T Potter

»maxolasersquad.com/

»maxolasersquad.blogspot.com

»www.facebook.com/maxolasersquad

Rexter
YeeHaw

join:2002-11-17
cloud 9

Beautiful! Clogging up the pipes now!

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL
kudos:7
reply to Maxo

I downloaded for testing, though I'm unlikely to switch from opensuse.

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:3
reply to Maxo

I like how they're making the attempt to support the new extremely high resolution monitors also, something windows still doesn't do well with, but part of that is the fault of 3rd party software still. When a 3rd party program doesn't scale correctly to dpi it can be very bad, but when you have a 3200x1800 monitor which requires say 200% dpi those programs are unusable. Even metro poorly scales with limited font sizing options, especially very small high resolution screens. Even chromium still has some issues with scaling, but from what I've seen programs like Firefox do correctly scale with dpi changes. For professionals it's amazing to see what is considered professional quality software fail to scale correctly to dpi.

I threw it in a vm, but still don't care for Unity. At least it's an LTS.
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
Geneva, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to Maxo

I tried kubuntu 14.04. That gave me a nice black screen. I guess it does not like nVidia graphics. I couldn't see anything in the install instructions about that.

It booted okay on a different system with Intel graphics.

I then tried the main (i.e. unity) version, and it at least gives me a readable screen with nVidia.
--
AT&T Uverse; Buffalo WHR-300HP router (behind the 2wire gateway); openSuSE 13.1; KDE 4.11.5; firefox 28.0

Maxo
Premium,VIP
Tallahassee, FL
reply to BlitzenZeus

I had read somewhere that the retina support wasn't working 100%. I do not have any retina displays, but I have not seen any problems on my laptop with an Intel graphics card. I have the resolution bumped up just a bit to give me more space.

Maxo
Premium,VIP
Tallahassee, FL
reply to Maxo

On my very old laptop which has run poorly since about 11.10, the performance of Ubuntu has now picked up considerable and the old machine now runs reasonably well with Unity. The performance was slightly better with 13.10 than previous releases, but I still had to run LXDE for it to be usable.

The only real performance problem I have is that after log in it takes about a minute for the desktop to respond. After that minute wait, however, things are good.
--
"Padre, nobody said war was fun now bowl!" - Sherman T Potter

»maxolasersquad.com/

»maxolasersquad.blogspot.com

»www.facebook.com/maxolasersquad

AZinOH

join:2007-04-25
Swanton, OH
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Windstream
reply to Maxo

I burned the 14.04 live DVD and tried to boot my 2007 Dell XPS 400 (2GB memory) with it. When offered the choice to try it (instead of installing), it hung with a black screen for about 8 min before finally displaying messages about a GPU lockup and several saying "failed to idle channel Xorg 4954". I think it doesn't like the old nVidia 7300 video card this machine has. It finally displayed a desktop that was horribly corrupted. I was able to boot a 2008 Dell Inspiron 530 (3GB-Intel onboard video) with it. Seemed to look and work ok, but I don't want to install it on that machine.

I have since booted the XPS 400 with Xubuntu 14.04 and that worked a lot better. I will compare this with Mint 17 XFCE when it comes out and then decide which one to use.

misiek

join:2000-12-25
Round Lake, IL
reply to Maxo

I tried the live version of 14.04 (with Unity) yesterday on the Lenovo Thinkpad W530 with an external monitor hooked up via HDMI. Both internal an external monitors were working, but when attempted to drag a window between the two, it seemed that the window "wanted" to stay half way btween the two displays. But eventually I got it placed where I wanted.
I am not a fan of Unity, so likely will stick with Mint.

kleeman
Australian Expat

join:2000-07-29
Nyack, NY
reply to Maxo

The cinnamon desktop is broken on 14.04 so I won't upgrade until this is fixed, hopefully soon.
--
Aesthetics should be an inspiration not a pair of handcuffs

Derspankster
Premium
join:2003-02-12
Marion, OH

1 recommendation

reply to Maxo

Been running it in a VM for a while and updated it into the final. Slow boot on my system and don't care for the regression of the "open with" folder option from 12.04. (Yes, I know I can install Nemo to regain that option) I'll likely do a clean install in a week or two unless some major issue surfaces. I really have no huge issue with Unity either.
--
my site: »www.lairdslair.com/
One man alone can be pretty dumb sometimes, but for real bona fide stupidity nothing beats teamwork. - Mark Twain

kleeman
Australian Expat

join:2000-07-29
Nyack, NY

»www.webupd8.org/2013/10/install-···and.html

May be of use
--
Aesthetics should be an inspiration not a pair of handcuffs

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
Premium,MVM
join:2001-01-03
Royal Oak, MI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
reply to AZinOH

said by AZinOH:

... 2007 Dell XPS 400... I think it doesn't like the old nVidia 7300 video card this machine has.

Amazing similarity. GeForce 7300 GS in a 2007 Dell GX620 doesn't like it either. It does boot but freezes within the first minute of operation.

ImpldConsent
Under Siege
Premium
join:2001-03-04
Mcdonough, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·magicjack.com
reply to nwrickert

said by nwrickert:

I tried kubuntu 14.04. That gave me a nice black screen. I guess it does not like nVidia graphics. I couldn't see anything in the install instructions about that.

That is strange. I've got a Nvidia 660/2G and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS installed beautifully. KDE is my favorite DE since I (finally) brought myself into the year 20teens.
--
That's "MISTER" Kafir to you Mr. Munafiq

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
Geneva, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

said by ImpldConsent:

I've got a Nvidia 660/2G and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS installed beautifully.

I have an older nVidia GeForce 6150 LE. The nouveau driver more-or-less works. On opensuse, I have to disable desktop effects (which I don't much like anyway). I have since installed the nVidia driver, which works much better. And, with the nVidia driver, I even turned on desktop effects, though I'll probably turn them off again before long.

The surprise for me, with kubuntu 14.04, is that it seemed to hang too early for me to be able to find a way turn off desktop effects.
--
AT&T Uverse; Buffalo WHR-300HP router (behind the 2wire gateway); openSuSE 13.1; KDE 4.11.5; firefox 28.0

reub2000
Premium
join:2001-12-28
Evanston, IL
reply to Maxo

I just installed Kubuntu 14.04. No matter setting I select in the system settings, applications use the GTK style. Changing it only affects currently open windows, and closing and opening an application again changes the styles.