Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil

Premium Member

Windows Boot loader not found.

I just have a quick question as I suspect the Hard drive is shot [It's making a high pitched whining sound when the Pc is on.

I made a "recovery" thumb drive back when I first got the PC. The OS on the system was Win 8. Since then I updated the OS to win 8.1 .

I tried running the repair tool that is part of the recovery software. It said it was unable to repair windows.
Could it be because the windows versions are different?

I haven't attempted to do a recovery [wipe the drive and restore the factory condition OS]. Because I think it has an extended warranty for 2 years [I think that's what I purchased for the computer as it was for the kids].
asdfdfdfdfdf
Premium Member
join:2012-05-09

asdfdfdfdfdf

Premium Member

"Could it be because the windows versions are different?"

I would think so.

norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

norwegian to Snakeoil

Premium Member

to Snakeoil

Have you backed up all the data on it?
If it is failing, the less you use it would be advised, especially if you have data you still need to copy off it.

RMA it.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil

Premium Member

The computer doesn't boot. It has a 2 year warranty on it, and is at the shop. I think the only thing my kid will loose is game save files. All his games came from steam or origin, so he can get them back.

I'm happy for the extended warranty, but at the same time I realize I can replace the hard drive faster then the store can. Granted, I'm not as busy as the guys at the store.

Tirael
BOHICA
Premium Member
join:2009-03-18
Sacramento, CA

Tirael to Snakeoil

Premium Member

to Snakeoil
There are more advanced options (using bcdedit or bootrec) which will do what the Fix Boot option does, but can restore the BCD itself. The repair tool can only fix the BCD (to my knowledge, this means that it can only fix entries that are incorrect and etc). However, if the BCD is corrupt, then it has to be replaced, which the Repair Tool cannot do. You have to be inside a Command Prompt to do anything like that (which bcdedit and bootrec are command line tools).

This is just for your future knowledge, but this tutorial could save your kid a few days of not having a computer. Also, the WinRE (Windows Recovery Environment, which is what you were using, most likely) is the same between Windows 8 and Windows 8.1. They haven't updated it (at least to my knowledge).