Premium,MVM
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL
kudos:7
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to Maxo

Re: Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr Released

I tried kubuntu 14.04. That gave me a nice black screen. I guess it does not like nVidia graphics. I couldn't see anything in the install instructions about that.

It booted okay on a different system with Intel graphics.

I then tried the main (i.e. unity) version, and it at least gives me a readable screen with nVidia.
--
AT&T Uverse; Buffalo WHR-300HP router (behind the 2wire gateway); openSuSE 13.1; KDE 4.11.5; firefox 28.0

ImpldConsent
Under Siege
Premium
join:2001-03-04
Mcdonough, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·magicjack.com
said by nwrickert:

I tried kubuntu 14.04. That gave me a nice black screen. I guess it does not like nVidia graphics. I couldn't see anything in the install instructions about that.

That is strange. I've got a Nvidia 660/2G and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS installed beautifully. KDE is my favorite DE since I (finally) brought myself into the year 20teens.
--
That's "MISTER" Kafir to you Mr. Munafiq

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL
kudos:7
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
said by ImpldConsent:

I've got a Nvidia 660/2G and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS installed beautifully.

I have an older nVidia GeForce 6150 LE. The nouveau driver more-or-less works. On opensuse, I have to disable desktop effects (which I don't much like anyway). I have since installed the nVidia driver, which works much better. And, with the nVidia driver, I even turned on desktop effects, though I'll probably turn them off again before long.

The surprise for me, with kubuntu 14.04, is that it seemed to hang too early for me to be able to find a way turn off desktop effects.
--
AT&T Uverse; Buffalo WHR-300HP router (behind the 2wire gateway); openSuSE 13.1; KDE 4.11.5; firefox 28.0