spc
Search similar:

uniqs

diablo18926
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise
join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV

diablo18926

[Appliances] Need to know where to get my gasget's from.

So I tore down my craftsman push behind mower. I have searched and the closet i have gotten was finding parts for the outer parts of the mower (oil, cable, clip, wheels).

My step dad bought it sometime either just over 5 years ago or much longer. Engine is still good as new but wasn't running right so i thought tearing it down and rebuilding it would be so much better than buying a whole new one.

Series: 550 B&S (Briggs and Straton) engine
22" side discharge
Model # is 917.385121

Here is the main question. Where to buy a complete repair kit within reasonable price? My budget is about $150 (maybe more).

Thanks.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

said by diablo18926:

Engine is still good as new but wasn't running right so i thought tearing it down and rebuilding it would be so much better than buying a whole new one.

Specifically what is the reason for the rebuild? Valves? Rings? Low compression? I don't see any reason to rebuild an engine that is "still good as new" when it sounds more like it just "wasn't running right" without more information as regards the actual problem.

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH

Pacrat to diablo18926

MVM

to diablo18926
My biggest gripe with Craftsman power equipment throughout the years was that Sears was the only source of spare parts for the Craftsman brand. I don't know if it's still true, but they used to have you over a barrel for parts because no one else seemed to stock spare parts. That said, check the engine manufacturer for engine-specific parts. Mower body parts (other than the engine)... you still might be stuck with Sears.

diablo18926
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise
Friendly, WV

1 edit

diablo18926 to robbin

to robbin
said by robbin:

said by diablo18926:

Engine is still good as new but wasn't running right so i thought tearing it down and rebuilding it would be so much better than buying a whole new one.

Specifically what is the reason for the rebuild? Valves? Rings? Low compression? I don't see any reason to rebuild an engine that is "still good as new" when it sounds more like it just "wasn't running right" without more information as regards the actual problem.

I admit I lied there.. I am no professional in any of this kind of stuff (maybe more vehicle). I was told that my carbitrator may need cleaned out. After priming on it atleast 2-3 times and then firing up just fine (5 minutes later) it starts bogging down the entire time i mow and its been doing this for atleast a whole year now.

I'm not a professional in any of this, i should say, because i never messed with such small parts. Me and my uncle work on vehicles, vehicles is where i'm better with. With small engine type of appliances, I think all it would need is some stuff to clean with, new belt and all coming to a cheap cost but nooo, supposedly its expensive (according to my uncle).

I thought rebuilding it would be fairly close to "sham wham bam thank ya ma'am" so to say. Just get some clean stuff (couple dollars) and then buy the gasgets (witch are expensive i guess).
diablo18926

diablo18926 to Pacrat

to Pacrat
said by Pacrat:

My biggest gripe with Craftsman power equipment throughout the years was that Sears was the only source of spare parts for the Craftsman brand. I don't know if it's still true, but they used to have you over a barrel for parts because no one else seemed to stock spare parts. That said, check the engine manufacturer for engine-specific parts. Mower body parts (other than the engine)... you still might be stuck with Sears.

ok, thanks.. I found some phone numbers on the papers where my step dad had found out about the mower and its sweet deal witch was $150 at that time. I might just end up buying a whole new mower if i can't get the parts but i'll find a way to get it fully rebuilt. its still a great engine.

davidg
Good Bye My Friend
MVM
join:2002-06-15

davidg to diablo18926

MVM

to diablo18926
probably just a gummed up carb. put some seafoam in the gas and see if it runs better after a tankful or two.

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell to diablo18926

Premium Member

to diablo18926
From the symptoms you discussed above it doesn't sound like you need to rebuild the entire motor. Just a carburetor rebuild should correct the problems you brought up. Even if you have to pick up a complete new carburetor it shouldn't be that expensive. Any lawnmower shop who works on B&S engines can probably help you.

bewhole
I Am Here
Premium Member
join:2000-08-08
Alfred, ME

bewhole to diablo18926

Premium Member

to diablo18926
Just wondering when is the last time you changed the fuel filter or the air filter on it??

skipon11
Premium Member
join:2005-06-09
Pittsburgh, PA

skipon11 to diablo18926

Premium Member

to diablo18926
If you are just worried about gaskets,you can buy gasket material at most auto parts and make your own.

DarkHelmet
join:2014-02-21

DarkHelmet to bewhole

to bewhole
said by bewhole:

Just wondering when is the last time you changed the fuel filter or the air filter on it??

There is no fuel filter on that mower.

bewhole
I Am Here
Premium Member
join:2000-08-08
Alfred, ME

bewhole

Premium Member

It must be in the fuel tank. I have never seen a gas motor without one.

freshf
@comcast.net

freshf to diablo18926

Anon

to diablo18926
two other points not mentioned:

the fuel may be old or dirty. drain the tank hoses carb etc and use all new fresh fuel.
probly you have already done that.

the carb parts etc, if they need cleaning, you can use "starting fluid" as a solvent. dissolves most grease oil and carbon buildup quickly.

and, as mentioned, most auto places sell small and large sheets of gasket materials. the easiest way to cut the holes and slots is with a razor blade with the metal back stiffener, a few $ for a five-pack. work slowly n safely.

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium Member
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA
(Software) pfSense
ARRIS SB6121

shdesigns to bewhole

Premium Member

to bewhole
said by bewhole:

I've seen only a few with one. I usually add one on any I work on.

diablo18926
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise
Friendly, WV

1 edit

diablo18926

said by DarkHelmet:

said by bewhole:

No filters were ever changed on it, only thing changed on it would be the blade and oil.

If there is no fuel filter, darkhelmet then tell me whats inside this cartridge that sits directly on top, around and connected to the carbitrator then connects to the gas can? It's covered in gasoline (that yellow thing on top) so i would assume its a fuel filter.

Crash Gordon
Zero Tolerance For Stupid
join:2004-06-08
Smyrna, GA

Crash Gordon

That would be the air filter connected to the carb connected to the gas tank.

As to why it's soaked in gas, probably happened when it was turned upsidedown.

diablo18926
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise
Friendly, WV

diablo18926

Anyway, back on topic.. I spoke with sears and wouldn't you know it, they got the gasgets, seals, oil and air filter, blade and all that coming to $47.15 thats a good price.

Theres however no gaurentee it will fire back up so i'm gonna go after a new mower. If this one breaks, i won't have money for the parts for this one + a whole new mower. Also, still have my uncles pre built mower engine but that thing wasn't touched since he was in school. I spoke with my brother last night and hes supposedly selling his riding mower, yes a riding mower and its not very old but why hes selling it is because he lives on a mountain and its not very easy mowing on cliffs, especially steep ones.

I'm thinking of getting all the parts after i have a heap of money saved up and have a mower in backup if needed. I put a plastic bag over the area where the piston is so the walls won't rust from air so that should do it for now.
LittleBill
join:2013-05-24

LittleBill to Crash Gordon

to Crash Gordon
yea gonna need to let the air filter dry, and clean the carb, you don't need anything else
LittleBill

LittleBill to diablo18926

to diablo18926
im not sure why you took the head off, but if its going to sit for a very long time, put the head back on and fill the cylinder with oil to the top, and fill the dipstick to the top as well.

a bag will not stop rust

just make sure to drain the oil from everything when your ready to use it again

diablo18926
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise
Friendly, WV

diablo18926

said by LittleBill:

im not sure why you took the head off, but if its going to sit for a very long time, put the head back on and fill the cylinder with oil to the top, and fill the dipstick to the top as well.

a bag will not stop rust

just make sure to drain the oil from everything when your ready to use it again

appreciate it.. Should i just let the air filter air out outside over a while? Also, would it hurt the cylinder if i were to spray carb cleaner in it? i don't see how it can hurt it since it just takes care of the dirt and grease.
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym to shdesigns

Premium Member

to shdesigns
said by shdesigns:

said by bewhole:

I've seen only a few with one. I usually add one on any I work on.

Ditto. Though I don't add them.

My Lawnboy doesn't have one. The PoS I had before it didn't have one. The big Honda powered generator I have doesn't have one. But the V-Twin rider has one. That's due for a change this year.

Thing I love about the Lawnboy & the generator is they have gas cut off valves. Just screw it down when I'm done, let it drain the gas on its own. No crappy gas/ethanol sitting in the carb to gum it up.
LittleBill
join:2013-05-24

LittleBill to diablo18926

to diablo18926
yes let it sit in the sun for a while

since you have the carb off just spray the carb through all the orifices and let it dry.

you don't need to spray anything in the cylinder, but it won't hurt it. that said too much and you will need to let it evaporate since it will be very rich till it drys

DarkHelmet
join:2014-02-21

DarkHelmet to diablo18926

to diablo18926
said by diablo18926:

said by DarkHelmet:

said by bewhole:

No filters were ever changed on it, only thing changed on it would be the blade and oil.

If there is no fuel filter, darkhelmet then tell me whats inside this cartridge that sits directly on top, around and connected to the carbitrator then connects to the gas can? It's covered in gasoline (that yellow thing on top) so i would assume its a fuel filter.

That's an air filter. I looked it up in the manual before I posted that comment but feel free to check it yourself.

Here's the owners manual. It's on page 12 labeled "Air Filter".
»www.searspartsdirect.com ··· lTabPage

plannedeath
@optonline.net

plannedeath to diablo18926

Anon

to diablo18926
If you have this little knowledge, that motors is never going to last if it even runs again. Things must be torqued, surfaces preped. Carb cleaner will likely melt your carb (would not think so right?) If you plan to put it together plan on it being for LEARNING purposes only not something you are going to keep using.

also its gasket not gasgets...

As far as a filter, alot of mowers just have a screen on the pickup tube in the tank... larger mowers at least used to have a inline filter...

Also note you must oil the ail filters... very well might have no gas on it (how would you get gas on it even?)

diablo18926
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise
Friendly, WV

diablo18926

What if the head would happen to get a scratch on it, not on the cylinder or the cylinder wall but where the gasket goes? I would think it wouldn't matter since its just a mower engine (not a car engine, not even a riding mower).

My friends parents have an extra mower thats not being used so i'm free to pick up the parts and get the craftsman going again. and just in case somethin doesn't go well, i got a backup.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA to diablo18926

Premium Member

to diablo18926
What kind of "scratch"? How deep? and how did it get scratched?

diablo18926
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise
Friendly, WV

diablo18926

said by Jack_in_VA:

Made by a flat head standley screw driver. It's deep but i can barely feel it when i run my index finger over it. It's about an inch long. It got scratched when i was trying to get the old gasket off.

Tried looking around on the web but found one thing where it said you can scratch the cylinder up as much as you want but don't scratch where the gasket goes

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by diablo18926:

said by Jack_in_VA:

Made by a flat head standley screw driver. It's deep but i can barely feel it when i run my index finger over it. It's about an inch long. It got scratched when i was trying to get the old gasket off.

Tried looking around on the web but found one thing where it said you can scratch the cylinder up as much as you want but don't scratch where the gasket goes

That is a very accurate statement

diablo18926
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise
Friendly, WV

diablo18926

said by Loquat15 :

only matters where the fire ring is in this case, you could scratch in a smiley face in the middle of each head where the gasket doesnt touch and you'd have one happy combustion chamber

source »forums.rennlist.com/renn ··· -no.html

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds to diablo18926

Premium Member

to diablo18926
Buy the proper tools and you wound not be scratching cylinder walls. You needed a gasket scraper and a roll-head prybar to remove the head and old gasket material.

Put the head back on now with a new gasket and a new plug. Buy a new air filter and prepare it per the users guide (also available from Sears). Then properly rebuild the carb as seen below.

»www.ebay.com/gds/REBUILD ··· 5/g.html

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka to diablo18926

MVM

to diablo18926
A carb diaphragm probably would be a good idea too.