spc
Search similar:

uniqs

watsonk
@comcast.net

watsonk

Anon

Switching from Windstream-Directv to Comcast Triple Play

I had Windstream DSL service for 8 years. Initially it was 3 Mbps, then it was downgraded to 1.5 Mbps due to high attenuation; for the same price. I could not stream any video or had too many people in the Internet at the same time.

I waited 8 years hoping that Windstream would upgrade the infrastructure in my neighborhood, but nothing happened. I loved my Directv. Finally, I decided to switch to Comcast Triple Play last month. Here is my experience:

1) Comcast order entry in the web was terrible. It took hours doing the final chat with someone from India (social security number, credit check, etc.) Then my phone number was not retained as instructed; I had to called Comcast the next morining to straight this out. Viewing the order entry online, I was hit with a $9.95 HD Technology fee (that was supposed to be included in the price as indicated in the web screen); it took 1 month and many calls to resolve this issue.

2) Comcast installation and communication among departments have flaws.
The tech arrived just before the 2-hr window expiration.
He said that I ordered the wrong modem. Luckily, he had a spare wireless modem in the van.
The supposedly brand new H1 DVR was full of video recordings. He had to call Comcast HQ to perform a factory reset of the DVR.
I was supposed to get free HBO and STARZ for 3 months, but only HBO was set up for free. I had to call Comcast to enable STARZ service.
Finally, I found out that Comcast did not provide a backup battery for the phone modem (in case of blackout). I will have to pay $35.00 + $5.95 shipping fee for a backup battery.

3) Comcast Internet
Using www.speedtest.net, the Comcast speeds show 28.5 Mbps download and 5.5 Mbps upload. I purchased the 25 Mbps Performance Internet. Windstream used to show 1.36 Mbps download. Streaming video is not a problem now. However, some websites still take some time to load. The limiting factor could be the web servers on the other side.
There are a lot of Comcast Hotspots throughout the U.S.

4) Comcast Voice
Windstream phone was full of static. With Comcast, I cannot hear background static. Voices appear to be louder and clearer.
I love Comcast recorded message service. Besides using the *99 from home phone to hear recorded messages, I can listen to messages from my computer at work.
Calling Canada is included in the plan. Windstream would charge $0.07 per minute calling Canada.
Blackout is an issue with Comcast Voice. A backup battery (not included) for the modem will provide up to 8 hours of power for the phone. With Windstream, I can call out during blackout.

5) Comcast TV
Surprisingly, the HD channels are as good as directv. I cannot tell the difference.
I hate the Comcast remote control. The design is very bad. Directv's remote control is very good and well balanced in my hand.
With Directv, I can program my favorite channels and assign a name to it. Multiple favorite lists are possible. On my Favorite list, I could advance channel by channel via remote control's channel up/down pushbuttons. With Comcast, I cannot do the same. Comcast has only 1 favorite list and is only for GUIDE viewing, searching for channels. In short, Directv offers better channel organization.
Comcast's H1 DVR and HD Box have to be powered on all the time. Remote control does not turn the units off. It is a waste of power.
I love Comcast's On Demand feature, allowing viewer to see movies and shows at any time (many are free).
Comcast signals stay on during thunder storms, whereas directv would go out.
Both TV's now can view recordings with freeze-reverse-forward feature. In the old Directv, only the DVR has the feature.

So far, I am very happy with Comcast Triple Play. There are many customers like me who switched away from Satellite TV simply because of the phone company's inability to provide decent Internet Broadband speed.