All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

theboyk
join:2004-10-04
Toronto, ON

theboyk

What's the state of TSI's IPv6 connection?

Over the years, I've taken part in TSI's IPv6 beta program. It's always "worked", but it's never been stable enough to actually use. It's probably been a year since I last used it, and I'm just wondering where it's at in terms of every day use?

I would love to finally transition to full IPv6 support on my network, but not sure if it's there yet?

Thanks,
Kristin.

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Montreal, QC

SimplePanda

Premium Member

It seems to be pretty reliable now; it just doesn't have the best routing.

For example, if you ping Akamai it goes through Hurricane Electric it rattles around for a while before hitting Akamai, instead of just going straight to Akamai via TORIX the way IPv4 packets do. Gabe had mentioned that this is because Akamai doesn't advertised their prefixes to TSI, which is fair, but Start.ca by comparison has been pretty aggressive about talking to their peers and getting V6 routing enabled.

There are also a few issues (also outside of TSI's control) where v6 addresses aren't georesolved to Canada properly.
SimplePanda

SimplePanda to theboyk

Premium Member

to theboyk
Well, I take this back.

Apparently something has changed lately because routing to everything I'm checking is looking much better. TekSavvy, as usual, is incapable of not impressing me.

Apple.com (which is Akamai - ipv6):
1. node-77ax50cvm3tkxrymr48.ipv6.teksavvy.com 0.0% 9 0.3 0.3 0.3 0.5 0.0
2. node-5gv2rma270x9kaok.ipv6.teksavvy.com 0.0% 9 6.3 6.4 5.8 7.5 0.4
3. node-66c3t6sjy9lqwhsz.ipv6.teksavvy.com 0.0% 8 5.3 5.3 4.6 6.9 0.7
4. gw-akamai.ip6.torontointernetxchange.net 0.0% 8 5.4 6.7 4.6 18.5 4.7
5. 2600:140a:0:285::c77 0.0% 8 4.7 5.0 4.7 5.4 0.0

Google.ca (ipv6):

1. node-77ax50cvm3tkxrymr48.ipv6.teksavvy.com 0.0% 5 0.3 0.3 0.3 0.4 0.0
2. node-5gv2rma270x9kaok.ipv6.teksavvy.com 0.0% 5 6.1 6.0 5.7 6.3 0.0
3. lo0.bdr02.tor.packetflow.ca 0.0% 5 4.7 5.0 4.5 5.5 0.0
4. node-66haodhxd5s4uvpg.ipv6.teksavvy.com 0.0% 5 4.6 5.6 4.5 8.8 1.7
5. 2001:4860:1:1::160d:0:1 0.0% 5 5.4 5.0 4.4 5.4 0.0
6. 2001:4860::1:0:e38 0.0% 5 5.4 5.2 5.2 5.4 0.0
7. 2001:4860:0:1::4ab 0.0% 4 5.8 5.4 5.2 5.8 0.0
8. yyz08s10-in-x17.1e100.net 0.0% 4 5.3 5.1 4.7 5.3 0.0

So 5ms to both Akamai and Google over IPv6.

Am also fully saturating my 50Mbps VDSL2 link with an SFTP download from an IPv6 host I manage.

So looks quite good.

JenSuisUn
Premium Member
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON

JenSuisUn

Premium Member

said by SimplePanda:

TekSavvy, as usual, is incapable of not impressing me.

As much as it's using negative words, it's all in how you phrased it that made it positive.

Thanks for that

TSI Gabe
Router of Packets
Premium Member
join:2007-01-03
Gatineau, QC

3 recommendations

TSI Gabe

Premium Member

I just wanted to chime in here to say that we've received a new E320 which will add capacity for DSL users. It's racked, powered and ready to go. We haven't switched any users over to it yet but should happen within the next 2-3 weeks. This new router has the features we need for IPv6 and will free up some load to upgrade our current routers. After all that, we'll allow users to turn on IPv6 by default for a regular @teksavvy.com login. We will likely still require users to make the request though as turning on IPv6 by default for everyone...as nice as it sounds, will create new challenges for technical support. In any case...it's coming very soon.

As for cable, besides for 6rd, which is IMO sub-par to the real thing, may be our only choice until we get support from the carriers.

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

SimplePanda to theboyk

Premium Member

to theboyk
Sounds good, Gabe!
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError to TSI Gabe

to TSI Gabe
said by TSI Gabe:

As for cable, besides for 6rd, which is IMO sub-par to the real thing, may be our only choice until we get support from the carriers.

Most cablecos use 6rd for their own subscribers anyway; albeit with the benefit of DHCP extensions to facilitate automatic configuration.
graniterock
Premium Member
join:2003-03-14
London, ON

graniterock to TSI Gabe

Premium Member

to TSI Gabe
said by TSI Gabe:

We will likely still require users to make the request though as turning on IPv6 by default for everyone...as nice as it sounds, will create new challenges for technical support. In any case...it's coming very soon.

How far away are we from the average person actually needing to use ipv6?

theboyk
Toronto, ON

theboyk

Thanks everyone!

So, what's the process in going IPv6 with TSI now? Is it still an alternate login (versus the regular @teksavvy.com login)? If so, can I request one?

Also—how's router support? I'm running Shibby's Tomato on my router, which supports IPv6 (though, I've never tested under Shibby's before). Gives the following options (attached image).

Thanks,
k.
notfred
join:2012-09-15

notfred

It's an alternate login on the PPPoE, you need to request one in the Direct forum and tell them that you will be using a router. They will give you a new login that then runs both IPv4 and IPv6. They will tell you the /64 and /56 addresses but don't worry because everything should autoconfigure.

I don't know that router, but I suspect you want the "Native IPv6 from ISP" option and then everything should just work.
eli
join:2012-11-22
Canada

eli

I think it would need "DHCPv6 with Prefix Delegation" because TSI delegate a /56 to you.

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds to theboyk

Premium Member

to theboyk
Unless you are in Telus land... Then it is very different...

So, who is the incumbent provider where you are?
notfred
join:2012-09-15

notfred to eli

to eli
Good point, I thought that would be what the router would do with native IPv6, but you are right I would try that option first.
Expand your moderator at work

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

SimplePanda to graniterock

Premium Member

to graniterock

Re: What's the state of TSI's IPv6 connection?

said by graniterock:

said by TSI Gabe:

We will likely still require users to make the request though as turning on IPv6 by default for everyone...as nice as it sounds, will create new challenges for technical support. In any case...it's coming very soon.

The average person SHOULD have starting using IPv6 years ago but there's been a lot of feet dragging.

Sooner people are enabled the better.
SimplePanda

SimplePanda to theboyk

Premium Member

to theboyk
said by theboyk:

Thanks everyone!

So, what's the process in going IPv6 with TSI now? Is it still an alternate login (versus the regular @teksavvy.com login)? If so, can I request one?

Also—how's router support? I'm running Shibby's Tomato on my router, which supports IPv6 (though, I've never tested under Shibby's before). Gives the following options (attached image).

Thanks,
k.

Shibby 116 is basically broken for IPv6. For me, setting it for DHCP-PD basically caused it to infinitely reboot.

Toastman works fine.
SimplePanda

SimplePanda to kevinds

Premium Member

to kevinds
said by kevinds:

Unless you are in Telus land... Then it is very different...

So, who is the incumbent provider where you are?

He's on Toronto so Bell, no doubt.
SimplePanda

SimplePanda to InvalidError

Premium Member

to InvalidError
said by InvalidError:

said by TSI Gabe:

Most cablecos use 6rd for their own subscribers anyway; albeit with the benefit of DHCP extensions to facilitate automatic configuration.

With the notable exception of Comcast, probably the biggest deployer of IPv6 to consumers in the US, who have deprecated their 6rd tunnel and are targeting 75% native dual stack by the end of the year.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds to SimplePanda

Premium Member

to SimplePanda
My bad... Using my phone today, so it doesn't show the location...

I never thought to tap on the name *doh*
InvalidError

InvalidError to eli

to eli
said by eli:

I think it would need "DHCPv6 with Prefix Delegation" because TSI delegate a /56 to you.

DHCP-PD is just a method to automatically configure IPv6. You can manually configure native IPv6 with any prefix length from /0 to /128 and you can do the same with DHCP-PD.

The /56 and /64 are just recommendations or guidelines from the RFCs; not immutable requirements.

BGB
Wants moar interwebz
Premium Member
join:2009-07-09
Waterloo, ON

1 edit

BGB to theboyk

Premium Member

to theboyk
Speaking of IPv6, any idea on when this is coming over to the land of rCable? I wouldn't mind using it (or testing it), but can't really go with DSL since all I can get is the 5/1 (In reality, 3/1) package, so it's not feasible for me to switch just for this.

Edit: Didn't see Gabe's line in his post that mentioned the cable companies still dragging their feet on this.
InvalidError

InvalidError

said by catchingup :

Most? No. Some with a half assed unsupported alpha/beta.

Well, we are in Canada. Name one Canadian cableco that does native IPv6. AFAIK, they all do 6rd with no plans to go native any time soon.
henry128
join:2010-09-03
Hillsboro, OR

henry128 to InvalidError

to InvalidError
InvalidError: I believe that's not true anymore. It seems like if you don't use DHCPv6-PD, TSI won't route the /56 prefix to you at all (i.e., unusable).

See: »IPV6 Down
Walter Dnes
join:2008-01-27
Thornhill, ON

1 recommendation

Walter Dnes to SimplePanda

to SimplePanda
said by SimplePanda:

said by graniterock:

said by TSI Gabe:

The average person SHOULD have starting using IPv6 years ago but there's been a lot of feet dragging.

Sooner people are enabled the better.

I don't think you're addressing the question. I interpret the question as "when will people start missing out on some really useful stuff if they don't have IPV6?". I can see a shortage of IPV4 addresses forcing NATing at the carrier level. This would affect people who want to run their own servers, but that's a very small minority. I think that a full switchover to IPV6 would require a government edict shutting down IPV4.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

1 recommendation

kevinds

Premium Member

said by Walter Dnes:

I can see a shortage of IPV4 addresses forcing NATing at the carrier level.

I think I heard rumours about AT&T's DSL, using carrier grade NAT, or $10 or something for a public IP?
graniterock
Premium Member
join:2003-03-14
London, ON

1 recommendation

graniterock to Walter Dnes

Premium Member

to Walter Dnes
said by Walter Dnes:

I interpret the question as "when will people start missing out on some really useful stuff if they don't have IPV6?".

You pretty much got it. We all perhaps "should" be on ipv6 but currently the "need" or "must" isn't there. I envision ipv4 being around for a long long time. I'm more wondering how long people think it will take for my Mom to say hey website X isn't working any more and I need to replace her ancient router. (Which is the nightmare tech support problem Gabe was hinting to).

theboyk
Toronto, ON

theboyk to SimplePanda

to SimplePanda
said by SimplePanda:

Shibby 116 is basically broken for IPv6. For me, setting it for DHCP-PD basically caused it to infinitely reboot.

Bugger. I'm still on 114, but I imagine it's broken there too. I have a bunch of script-level stuff going on in Tomato (to manage OpenVPN, handing out VPN and non-VPN connections based on IP address). I could probably get it going under Toastman too, but I'll have to save this all for a rainy weekend.

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

SimplePanda to graniterock

Premium Member

to graniterock
said by graniterock:

said by Walter Dnes:

I interpret the question as "when will people start missing out on some really useful stuff if they don't have IPV6?".

You pretty much got it. We all perhaps "should" be on ipv6 but currently the "need" or "must" isn't there. I envision ipv4 being around for a long long time. I'm more wondering how long people think it will take for my Mom to say hey website X isn't working any more and I need to replace her ancient router. (Which is the nightmare tech support problem Gabe was hinting to).

Likely not though.

As others have mentioned above, what's likely going to start happening sooner than later is imposed CGNat with surcharges for legit public IP addresses. The average user isn't going to know about these surcharges and will just accept their 172.x or 10.x IP address without knowing the difference.

Suddenly, Skype, Vonage, or on-line gaming stops working properly.

The transition to IPv6 will accelerate aggressively at that point.

Leathal
Premium Member
join:2002-02-09
Richmond Hill, ON

Leathal to theboyk

Premium Member

to theboyk
It will be many years before we run out of IPv4 IP addresses, so I wouldn't worry about IPv6 just yet.

RizzleQ
Cunningham's Law Enthusiast
Premium Member
join:2006-01-12
Windsor, ON
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti U6-LR

1 recommendation

RizzleQ

Premium Member

At this rate I wouldn't say many years: »www.arin.net/resources/r ··· own.html

It's more like one or two, tops. You want to start worrying about IPv6 once we've run out of IPv4 addresses? That's poor planning right there.