All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
eekthecat
join:2009-10-15
Irvine, CA

eekthecat

Data Usage Meter Getting More Accurate with Router Changes?

This is probably just a huge coincidence, but I've changed routers three times over the past two years, and each time, it seems like the data usage meter has gotten more accurate. It's now uncannily accurate (~90-95%). For example, my router shows that I used 3.09GB yesterday, and Cox is showing 2.86GB (and they may be using slightly different time periods).

First, I had a Linksys WRT54G -- it seemed to be recording about half of my actual usage, then a Dlink DIR-865L (70%), now just a few weeks ago, an Asus RT-AC66U.

Yes, I acknowledge that this is either completely in my head, or Cox has just gotten better at measuring usage over the past two years... but how is data use actually measured, and could it possibly have anything at all to do with the type of router I'm using?
AGBM
join:2014-04-20
usa

AGBM

You can buy a router every year, but the Asus RT-AC66U should hold you for a couple of years, make sure it is secure so nobody can use you internet. Your router has light and you modem has lights make sure they both max out performance between the two. You can have corvette speeds output from modem, but turtle speeds from the router. Outdated equipment can have a lot of packet loss and other issues in general. Linksys WRT54G to old to use with any current modem.Asus RT-AC66U up to date now, you want more speed from router use AC wifi adaptor or pc with built in units and speeds really fly. You did not mention what type of modem you have hooked to router.
eekthecat
join:2009-10-15
Irvine, CA

eekthecat

My cable modem is a Motorola SBG6580, set to bridge mode. Performance is absolutely awesome, both from Cox (50mbps solid) and internally (wired/wireless). The mystery, to me, is how/why the usage meter has gotten a lot more accurate over the past year...