spc
Search similar:

uniqs
47717768 (banned)
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL

47717768 (banned)

Yes, Netflix And Hulu Are Starting To Kill Cable

Cord cutting -- ditching your steep monthly cable or satellite bill and instead watching video online -- is on the rise, according to a new report from Experian Marketing Services. »www.huffingtonpost.com/2 ··· f=topbar
pandora
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Outland

2 recommendations

pandora

Premium Member

I'm getting ready to cord cut.

If you ever get a chance, check out the Huffington post streaming app on most smart TV's. The Huffington post has made what may be the first real internet based video channel.

It broadcasts 12 hours on weekdays, and is very good. Huffington Post seems to support most all smart TV's. I suspect we'll see other internet channels based on this model, it's almost identical to other cable news networks in overall appearance. Huffington post uses Skype a lot for remote interviews.

Overall, I really enjoy their presentation and ease of use. The costs to do this must be low, with any luck we'll see other channels streaming this way soon. The youtube model doesn't work as well, and Netflix or Amazon require high production costs.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to 47717768

Premium Member

to 47717768
Wasnt long ago i had Hulu, netflix, and cable. I cut the cord on Hula. They suck.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

1 recommendation

Ghastlyone to 47717768

Premium Member

to 47717768
I canceled cable long ago. Been streaming everything.

I don't miss cable one bit. When I had it, I spent more time flipping through the channels trying to find something worth watching.
47717768 (banned)
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL

47717768 (banned) to rody_44

to rody_44
I am not using ether, because of poor video quality.

Cthen
Premium Member
join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI

Cthen to 47717768

Premium Member

to 47717768
While I was unemployed I had no choice to cut the cord. Been happy with OTA supplemented by free streams and piracy since then. I did some piracy before cutting the cord but now, it is even more so.

While I have been employed again for quite some time now, I see no reason to go back to paying that much for scheduled broadcasting. I work the night shift, why would I pay that much for something that I can never really watch or pay to see a butt load of infomercials?

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

1 recommendation

Nightfall to 47717768

MVM

to 47717768
I really do enjoy replying to threads like this. It seems that Karl gets a hard on whenever one of these cord cutting stories comes out like there is a major movement going on. Lets set the record straight.

The reality is that you do have a small percentage of people cutting the cord, but these are few and far between. A vast majority of people are keeping their pay TV for a variety of reasons. Sports programming is a huge reason for starters. Sure, there are some high quality streams out there of some sports programming, but it isn't widespread, and finding a quality illegal stream is difficult and not user friendly.

Speaking if illegal streaming, there are a boatload of popular shows that practically require cord cutters to look into the illegal streaming or acquisition arena. Want to watch the latest game of thrones and you aren't a HBO sub? Then you have to look at torrents. What about something that isn't carried by Netflix/Hulu/Amazon? Then you have to look at illegal methods.

So, while cord cutting is a viable option, it isn't meant for everyone. This is why I continue to pay for cable TV. Its a luxury item, and I will treat it as such. If I lost my job, then I would be looking at removing my cable TV. I keep the cable TV around for sports programming primarily. Without it, I wouldn't have been able to catch half of the NHL playoffs and the Tigers game today.

Are Netflix and Hulu "killing cable"? Not really. When the cable/satellite providers start to see a drop in the millions of customers, then I will agree.

Want to see cord cutting be a major movement? Remove the caps off the ISPs and provide all content easily streamed over the internet at 1080i quality. Oh, and make it user friendly too so anyone can do it. Only then will you see a major movement.
codydog
join:2001-11-29
Newport, RI

codydog to 47717768

to 47717768
People also said we all would always have home phones. It took 100 years for the land line industry to get 90% saturation and ten years to lose 40% of those customers. My guess is cable TV goes the same way.

And you should never stream anything illegally. Not worth the risk and effort, pay the 2 or 3 bucks.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt to 47717768

MVM

to 47717768
It is still a very small percentage of subscribers, but if I was a Cable exec I'd be worried. I think that is one of the reasons Comcast played hardball with Netflix, but it sets a very bad precedent.

We have always used Over the Air TV so never had a cord to cut. I'd much rather pay a few hundred bucks for rooftop antenna every couple of decades then $100 a month for the privilege of watching commercials. No one in our family is a sports fanatic so OTH works fine. With digital TV and sub-channels we get more channels then we need.

Internet access is via a CLEC so we get POTS and DSL. 6Mbps DSL works fine for Nexflix. Still have a landline, since it comes with DSL. Here in hilly snowy NH wireline POTS is more reliable then cellular.

/tom
zephyrus8
join:2014-04-22

zephyrus8 to 47717768

to 47717768
I have high-speed Internet and stopped subscribing to cable long. Rarely have to wait for a show to buffer on Netflix.
pandora
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Outland

pandora to Nightfall

Premium Member

to Nightfall
said by Nightfall:

The reality is that you do have a small percentage of people cutting the cord, but these are few and far between. A vast majority of people are keeping their pay TV for a variety of reasons.

I agree with much of your post. However, IF, Aereo wins, and IF Aereo or some other company creates an OTA app for most smart TV's, it is possible those who receive basic cable, or use OTA may consider a low cost OTA internet streaming service.

Until it's an easy to use app on a smart TV, it's doubtful people will migrate much from cable or satellite using an internet like app. However, should OTA streaming become popular, other cable staples (like ESPN, even YES) may eventually rethink delivery over internet.

It should be cheaper to have delivery over internet, but the FCC seems determined to allow net neutrality to go, and ISP's seem determined to cap pipes to residential users.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall

MVM

said by pandora:

said by Nightfall:

The reality is that you do have a small percentage of people cutting the cord, but these are few and far between. A vast majority of people are keeping their pay TV for a variety of reasons.

I agree with much of your post. However, IF, Aereo wins, and IF Aereo or some other company creates an OTA app for most smart TV's, it is possible those who receive basic cable, or use OTA may consider a low cost OTA internet streaming service.

Until it's an easy to use app on a smart TV, it's doubtful people will migrate much from cable or satellite using an internet like app. However, should OTA streaming become popular, other cable staples (like ESPN, even YES) may eventually rethink delivery over internet.

It should be cheaper to have delivery over internet, but the FCC seems determined to allow net neutrality to go, and ISP's seem determined to cap pipes to residential users.

Agreed!

I know I would strongly consider Aereo if they came into my area.

PamelaTS
Digital Chick
join:2004-04-20
Dallas, TX
Asus RT-AC66
HTC 5G Hub

PamelaTS to pandora

to pandora
Will Aereo did port to Chromecast, unfortunately they lost though. I puked the TWC TV cord a year ago. With Aereo's loss I upgraded the ota antenna on my balcony. I have an Antennas Direct - Clearstream 4 and a Clearstream 5 feeding my two TiVo Premieres I now get every broadcast channel including some good classic tv channels cable didn't carry. Add Netflix and a good PodCast app for my Android's like BeyondPod and a Chromecast on every TV. I'm doing fine.

I do agree hulu stinks it's menu system bites not worth the $8 and change monthly.
DarkSithPro (banned)
join:2005-02-12
Tempe, AZ

1 recommendation

DarkSithPro (banned) to Ghastlyone

to Ghastlyone
said by Ghastlyone:

I don't miss cable one bit. When I had it, I spent more time flipping through the channels trying to find something worth watching.

Agreed. You're paying between 80-100+ a month and half the channels don't interest you, including the ones in a different language you don't even speak anyways. Then add way too many commercials and you realize just how bad of a deal cable is.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall

MVM

said by DarkSithPro:

said by Ghastlyone:

Agreed. You're paying between 80-100+ a month and half the channels don't interest you, including the ones in a different language you don't even speak anyways. Then add way too many commercials and you realize just how bad of a deal cable is.

I am still trying to figure out how people are doing the math on how much they are saving by not getting cable TV. In my area, I pay $100 a month for cable and internet access. If I drop cable TV, I end up paying $60 for just internet. So I only end up saving $40. Maybe people are adding in extra boxes or adding extra services. Obviously, how much you spend depends on what you have in your area too.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

said by Nightfall:

said by DarkSithPro:

said by Ghastlyone:

I am still trying to figure out how people are doing the math on how much they are saving by not getting cable TV. In my area, I pay $100 a month for cable and internet access. If I drop cable TV, I end up paying $60 for just internet. So I only end up saving $40. Maybe people are adding in extra boxes or adding extra services. Obviously, how much you spend depends on what you have in your area too.

At least in my area, $100 a month will net you shitty internet service, and basic cable service with basic no HD channels, and no DVR.

The people canceling their $180 a month service for DVR and full HD channels, I can see making a bit more sense.

When I canceled my cable, I increased my internet package to the 150mb download speed and increased data usage. I didn't cancel cable to "save money". I canceled it, because almost everything to watch on there was pure shit.

So, I don't think money is the main factor in a lot of people canceling their cable service.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall

MVM

said by Ghastlyone:

At least in my area, $100 a month will net you shitty internet service, and basic cable service with basic no HD channels, and no DVR.

The people canceling their $180 a month service for DVR and full HD channels, I can see making a bit more sense.

When I canceled my cable, I increased my internet package to the 150mb download speed and increased data usage. I didn't cancel cable to "save money". I canceled it, because almost everything to watch on there was pure shit.

So, I don't think money is the main factor in a lot of people canceling their cable service.

Its definitely area dependent for sure. I have Blast internet and preferred cable TV package through Comcast.