All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
hdude
join:2014-04-18

hdude

DMZ with Verizon FIOS Router MI424WR?

I have two groups of computers on my network. Some of the computers need to be exposed directly to the internet (web services, etc.). Other computers (database, file servers, etc.) I would like to have on a different subnet. Today, I use a physical router (not the actiontec, a linksys one in fact) to separate these to groups and create a DMZ. However, the linksys router is flaky and dying and my budget doesn't allow me to buy more hardware right now.

Is there a way I can, with the actiontec router by itself, create a DMZ-like partition between these two computer groups? I've been reading up on VLANs and it seems like that is a good way to go. However, I would like to be able to set up specific machine to machine firewall rules between them. For example, I only want this one specific web server in the dmz to have access to this one specific database server in the internal LAN. Is that level of control between VLANs possible? Is there a better approach than VLANS?

Thanks for any guidance.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish

Premium Member

Its a router, you can configure the routes manually anyway you wish. The answer is yes, but this isn't what the average user knows how to do. There is a recent thread on Vlans that covers most of what your looking to do

HERE

»VLAN configuration on MI424WR Gen 3 Rev. I
hdude
join:2014-04-18

hdude

Thanks - will check it out.