how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Pollux7777

join:2010-02-16
Saint Paul, MN

[Classes] Need healer suggestions

I want to choose a healing class for my free 90, but I'm not sure which class to choose. I currently have a lvl 90 holy pally, but I don't really enjoy the holy power mechanic very much.
I've made a low level druid, shammy, and priest to try them out, but honestly playing at the lower levels is so simplified and watered down it feels like the same character just with different spell icons. I know a class doesn't really develop its signature playstyle until later levels, and I don't particulary want to sink in a lot of time for a class I end up not liking.
I was hoping for suggestions from you guys on which direction to go. As I said before, I don't particularly like or enjoy playing a class that has some kind of additional layer of play mechanics that you have to manage (i.e. holy power, DK runes, combo points, etc). I'm a simple guy. I like my resource management to be straightforward, (which is why I love warriors. Rage. You either got it or you don't
With that in mind, what do you think? Based on that critetia I guess that pretty much narrows it down to priest, shammy, or druid. Right?
Looking for thoughts. Thanks!
--
Polluxx - LvL 90 Human Warrior - (US) Ravencrest

cat666

join:2013-04-26
Druids rely on hot monitoring and small heals all the time, holy priests require an annoying stance dance but are OK, disc priests are really powerful and are based around shields over heals whilst shamans are a mix of druid/holy priest with a lot of the spells being smart heals.

I play a resto shaman as a main now, and they really are easy to play.

Pollux7777

Saint Paul, MN
Thanks for the input. I think I'm leaning toward shammy or priest. Are totems a big part of playing a shammy?
I like priests because bubbles are cool, plus I like the mythology of the priest and they have some really cool tier sets for Tmog as well.
--
Polluxx - LvL 90 Human Warrior - (US) Ravencrest

Jabari

join:2014-02-26
Totems aren't really a special "thing" - they're just other spells that have a family limitation (can have only 1 Water totem at once, which is Healing stream/Healing Tide/Mana Tide). Talent to be able to fudge that somewhat. Resto shaman have good throughput and extremely good (and many) raid-wide CDs.

Holy priests are just bad at the moment. Anything a Holy Priest can do a Druid does at least three times better (and less annoying-ly - stupid Chakras). Same general playstyle as a druid, but your spells aren't as powerful or as mana-efficient. Bad combination, that.

Discipline is a great spec right now, though you'll feel like just another DPS a lot of the time. Pulling 100k DPS as a healer is a bit broken though, especially in 10-mans where that extra output isn't lost in the sea of other DPS. Your non-Atonement tools are a bit lacking, but Atonement and the level 90 talents are so damn good it doesn't matter much.

Resto Druids are complete throughput monsters - Rejuv and WG and Efflo are amazing HPCT, and you have good normal healing tools too.

Tirael
BOHICA
Premium
join:2009-03-18
Sacramento, CA
kudos:2
reply to Pollux7777
Totems are usually your CD's, such as healing stream and etc. It is not like it use to be. Shaman healers don't require 5 extra fingers and an internal stopwatch to play anymore.
--
“Reality doesn't bite, rather our perception of reality bites.” - Anthony J. D'Angelo

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
said by Tirael:

Totems are usually your CD's, such as healing stream and etc. It is not like it use to be. Shaman healers don't require 5 extra fingers and an internal stopwatch to play anymore.

Is that why that shaman back in LK used their feet?
--
semper idem
1KTzRMxN1a2ATrtAAvbmEnMBoY3E2kHtyv

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Pollux7777
Keep in mind that WoD is pretty much removing "smart heals" and mana-efficient heals. This will create more distinction in the healing styles of each class/spec.

Shamans are stronger in stand-still group healing than Holy Priests (all things being equal). Shaman healing takes a bigger hit in throughput as movement increases. The Shaman Totem mechanic is interesting now that it's no longer the burden it once was. Looking at them as CDs is the best advice. They lack a solid tank CD, a trade-off for "hero/bloodlust" I suppose. I enjoy healing on my 86 shaman, but I don't get to work on him but once every couple of months.

Holy is the most versatile healing spec for Priests. The chakra mechanic is awesome right now, and going to be more awesome in WoD. The one downside of chakra right now is that it works out to be a slight 30sec penalty if you are caught in the wrong chakra. I also find that the talents available to priests work really well to tailor your healing approach and role in a raid. 10m, 25m, raid healing, tank healing, burst healing or endurance healing are all available to the H.Priest. The tool kit is huge (will get reduced a bit) and your ability to heal on the move is very strong (only slightly less than druids). The DPS chakra allows you to do individual quests without switching specs. This is great for dailies, but for leveling up I'd use a shadow or disc spec.

Discipline is a great healing spec with fewer variations in styles. Atonement-only healing is likely to go away in WoD, at least in the early part. But for now, you can do a lot of healing by trying to dps. The real goal of Disc is to anticipate incoming dmg spikes and prep the raid for them, so that the other healer(s) see a smoother dmg profile. Your job is to keep the tanks stable and give raiders caught out of position a buffer before going "splat". It's a very fun spec to play. So much so that I run my priest as a dual-healer. Disc is fun, but I do my best work as Holy. YMMV.

Shadow is a solid dot/channel class. Single target requires careful spell prioritization and dot weaving. Movement penalizes sharply Shads in single target fights. Multi-dotting is very strong for shads.
--
Intelligence is no substitute for Character.

Pollux7777

Saint Paul, MN
Some really great responses here guys, thanks! Immer, do you think healing is going to feel drastically different in WoD? I realize you can only speculate at this point, but based on the little bit I've read (usually skip over the healing portion of patch notes) it sounds like they are making quite a few changes.
Basically what I'm getting at is do you think I should wait until the WoD dust settles before I choose, or will the classes, as they stand now, still retain their signature styles?

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast
I don't see anything so far that will drastically change healer styles. WoD might surprise us with a new FotM healer, but by and large I think everyone will just sort of get reset by all of the proposed changes to mana regen, mana efficiency, and smart heals. Healing will be a chore in the beginning for those who didn't struggle through Cata launch as healers.
--

P Ness
You'Ve Forgotten 9-11 Already
Premium
join:2001-08-29
way way out
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by Immer:

I don't see anything so far that will drastically change healer styles. WoD might surprise us with a new FotM healer, but by and large I think everyone will just sort of get reset by all of the proposed changes to mana regen, mana efficiency, and smart heals. Healing will be a chore in the beginning for those who didn't struggle through Cata launch as healers.

umm it's an huge change backwards in healing.

of course they made healing way to easy outside of heroics in order to get people back to healing.

biggest change is going to be back to massive mana management, stop casting and no more gobble of instants.

smart heals made it so you could pay more attention to the fight instead of doing the mole smashing to health bar add-ons. now we are going back to not even being able to see a whole tier of fights till we go back in with our dps alts. we will just be staring at our wack a mole bars again.
--
NO U

P Ness
Premium
way way out
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Immer
said by Immer:

Keep in mind that WoD is pretty much removing "smart heals" and mana-efficient heals. This will create more distinction in the healing styles of each class/spec.

Shamans are stronger in stand-still group healing than Holy Priests (all things being equal). Shaman healing takes a bigger hit in throughput as movement increases. The Shaman Totem mechanic is interesting now that it's no longer the burden it once was. Looking at them as CDs is the best advice. They lack a solid tank CD, a trade-off for "hero/bloodlust" I suppose. I enjoy healing on my 86 shaman, but I don't get to work on him but once every couple of months.

Holy is the most versatile healing spec for Priests. The chakra mechanic is awesome right now, and going to be more awesome in WoD. The one downside of chakra right now is that it works out to be a slight 30sec penalty if you are caught in the wrong chakra. I also find that the talents available to priests work really well to tailor your healing approach and role in a raid. 10m, 25m, raid healing, tank healing, burst healing or endurance healing are all available to the H.Priest. The tool kit is huge (will get reduced a bit) and your ability to heal on the move is very strong (only slightly less than druids). The DPS chakra allows you to do individual quests without switching specs. This is great for dailies, but for leveling up I'd use a shadow or disc spec.

Discipline is a great healing spec with fewer variations in styles. Atonement-only healing is likely to go away in WoD, at least in the early part. But for now, you can do a lot of healing by trying to dps. The real goal of Disc is to anticipate incoming dmg spikes and prep the raid for them, so that the other healer(s) see a smoother dmg profile. Your job is to keep the tanks stable and give raiders caught out of position a buffer before going "splat". It's a very fun spec to play. So much so that I run my priest as a dual-healer. Disc is fun, but I do my best work as Holy. YMMV.

Shadow is a solid dot/channel class. Single target requires careful spell prioritization and dot weaving. Movement penalizes sharply Shads in single target fights. Multi-dotting is very strong for shads.

Shaman have spirit link cooldown which is one of the strongest defensive tank saver in the game. nothing like 10-25 people sharing the same health pool on massive damage spikes like malrok and a damage reduction to boot.

Priest are one of the classes that is going to be the biggest change in WOD.

Holy is getting a massive buff cause right now they are pathetic even if disc did not exsist they would still be pathetic.

Disc is getting a much needed nerf. no one even argues they should not be nerfed.
--
NO U

P Ness
Premium
way way out
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Jabari
said by Jabari:

Totems aren't really a special "thing" - they're just other spells that have a family limitation (can have only 1 Water totem at once, which is Healing stream/Healing Tide/Mana Tide). Talent to be able to fudge that somewhat. Resto shaman have good throughput and extremely good (and many) raid-wide CDs.

Holy priests are just bad at the moment. Anything a Holy Priest can do a Druid does at least three times better (and less annoying-ly - stupid Chakras). Same general playstyle as a druid, but your spells aren't as powerful or as mana-efficient. Bad combination, that.

Discipline is a great spec right now, though you'll feel like just another DPS a lot of the time. Pulling 100k DPS as a healer is a bit broken though, especially in 10-mans where that extra output isn't lost in the sea of other DPS. Your non-Atonement tools are a bit lacking, but Atonement and the level 90 talents are so damn good it doesn't matter much.

Resto Druids are complete throughput monsters - Rejuv and WG and Efflo are amazing HPCT, and you have good normal healing tools too.

As it stands right now if you were to put people on a set of stairs as far as utility and hps

Disc
- Step
- Step
- Step

Sham/Druid
Pally
-Step

Panda
-Step
-Step

Holy

Blizz has even said.."its too late" to make changes because of the impact on guilds in progression fights. They specifically quoted Disc Priest, Holy Priest and Warlocks. lol
--
NO U

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to P Ness
I feel you misunderstood my comment about "change healer styles". There are lots of changes coming, but none of them so-far really change the way a particular healing spec operates.

Good Healing Priests do fine right now in both specs, Disc is unbalanced and will be addressed in WoD. The priest-hate is funny to me. Not really worth any more comment than that.

Thanks for correcting the bit about Spirit Link, that is a wonderful CD that I had forgotten about.
--

Tirael
BOHICA
Premium
join:2009-03-18
Sacramento, CA
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to P Ness
I am trying to figure out how a Pally rates below a Disc priest, Shammy, and Druid in healing an utility.
--
“Reality doesn't bite, rather our perception of reality bites.” - Anthony J. D'Angelo

cat666

reply to Pollux7777
No healing spec is being changed drastically, what a druid does now it will do in Warlords etc. etc. What will change drastically is the entire way healing works as a whole.

Personally I liked healing in Cata, however the healer changes as well as the increased difficulty in dungeons made them an absolute nightmare. I hope Blizz has learned from it and will deliver these changes whilst still keeping the difficulty the same as it was in WotLK and Mists. Heroics should be trickier, but the fact a PUG still struggles with normal Cata dungeons to this day proves it was an ill thought out idea.

Blackrock Caverns should have been a nice gentle ease into dungeons but it wasn't. Rom'ogg had the annoying one shot kill if the DPS didn't get rid of the chains fast enough, Corla had a mechanic which confused everyone at first, and required 3 people not to mess up at all, or it was a wipe. Karsh required the tank to actually move, a concept long forgotten in 5 mans, oh and the heat wave tested even the best healers. Beauty was a nightmare with the fears, and you knew full well someone would get feared into Runty. The only super easy boss was Obsidius but that always required a player to kite, but at least it was only one. Yes this sort of thing should be in the game, but as PUG content? No chance. Double this with trying to re-learn healing with little to no mana and it was absolute chaos.

Ease us in gently this time Blizz.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to Immer
Discipline healing is not as strong as it seems on a meter. The numbers get ridiculous when there is a lot of overhealing, which requires a solid healing team. The DAs get so big that all of the incoming damage gets credited to the Disc Priest over the Pally bubble and even the druid blanket of HoTs. If the raid group is not spending significant time in Overheals, the ridiculousness of the Disc absorbs dwindles significantly (as well as the atonment, since the priest should be healing). Discipline priests are overpowered right now, but what you see on the meters in raid is an exaggeration, the Disc is getting extra credit for overhealing while the other healers are not.
--

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Pollux7777
@OP: Druid healing is powerful but can become a bit routine. The dynamics of druid healing are subtle, which has lead to some to find druid healing a bit boring. The advantage to druid healing is that you can repurpose the druid to any of the raid roles (tank, melee, ranged) should you get tired of healing.
--

Jabari

join:2014-02-26
reply to Immer
@Immer: All true about Disc, of course. Unfortunately, there just isn't anything else even comparable to doing half-a-dps worth of damage on top of being a full healer at the same time.

said by Immer:

(as well as the atonment, since the priest should be healing)

This part just isn't true, unfortunately. Atonement Solace/Smite is still almost always better than direct healing (GH is too slow, Flash is... the best you have but a horrible tool - it's so-so HPCT and just awful HPM. PWS is far better for both HPCT and HPM. Flash is also a boatload worse than Glyphed Regrowth and Healing Surge at the same gear level). The only "healing" they really should do is PWS, Defensive Penance, and the completely horribly OP Holy Rail Gun (aka: Divine Star).

Also, if there isn't a lot of overhealing, that usually means that all of DA is "effective" instead of just meter-padding... It's just that all the other healers look even on the meters in that case instead of way behind.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by Jabari:

Also, if there isn't a lot of overhealing, that usually means that all of DA is "effective" instead of just meter-padding... It's just that all the other healers look even on the meters in that case instead of way behind.

that was my point. You get a better picture of where the healers truly fall.

The healing I was referring to was defensive Penance (on a player, for both the heal and the Grace stacks) and flash heal for crucial players, bubble spam to stabilize others to buy time for the other healers. Also, I expect a competent Disc healer to already be in an SS phase for the higher dmg, which requires a drop in Atonement.

I don't think we are really telling each other anything we don't know, just fleshing out the details for other readers.
--

DarkHelmet

join:2014-02-21
reply to Tirael
said by Tirael:

I am trying to figure out how a Pally rates below a Disc priest, Shammy, and Druid in healing an utility.

Pally seems to be chopped liver to people here. That's too bad because they are great.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA
I love having a holydin in the raid.

Carpie

join:2012-10-19
united state
kudos:5
said by Immer:

I love having a holydin in the raid.

^This. x2

Love the raid utility.

--
www.Absölution.com
Absolution -- SoO: 14/14N 1/14H

clawfury

join:2012-02-14
Rochester, MI
reply to cat666
said by cat666:

No healing spec is being changed drastically, what a druid does now it will do in Warlords etc. etc. What will change drastically is the entire way healing works as a whole.

Personally I liked healing in Cata, however the healer changes as well as the increased difficulty in dungeons made them an absolute nightmare. I hope Blizz has learned from it and will deliver these changes whilst still keeping the difficulty the same as it was in WotLK and Mists. Heroics should be trickier, but the fact a PUG still struggles with normal Cata dungeons to this day proves it was an ill thought out idea.

Blackrock Caverns should have been a nice gentle ease into dungeons but it wasn't. Rom'ogg had the annoying one shot kill if the DPS didn't get rid of the chains fast enough, Corla had a mechanic which confused everyone at first, and required 3 people not to mess up at all, or it was a wipe. Karsh required the tank to actually move, a concept long forgotten in 5 mans, oh and the heat wave tested even the best healers. Beauty was a nightmare with the fears, and you knew full well someone would get feared into Runty. The only super easy boss was Obsidius but that always required a player to kite, but at least it was only one. Yes this sort of thing should be in the game, but as PUG content? No chance. Double this with trying to re-learn healing with little to no mana and it was absolute chaos.

Ease us in gently this time Blizz.

You know...I have to say...no disrespect to your opinion at ALL - but I loved this. It was so much fun to heal and tank these, especially on heroic. The only part that made me shudder was how many truly horrible players were revealed for that - WotLK was so easy, anyone could look good. It also made dungeons last forever.

cat666

said by clawfury:

You know...I have to say...no disrespect to your opinion at ALL - but I loved this. It was so much fun to heal and tank these, especially on heroic. The only part that made me shudder was how many truly horrible players were revealed for that - WotLK was so easy, anyone could look good. It also made dungeons last forever.

I liked the concept, and Mists pulled it off with challenge mode dungeons, but when you were the one good player with 4 noobs in a PUG it wasn't fun. To make matters worse you were punished for going with your guild as then you didn't get the Luck of the Draw buff.

clawfury

join:2012-02-14
Rochester, MI
said by cat666:

said by clawfury:

I liked the concept, and Mists pulled it off with challenge mode dungeons, but when you were the one good player with 4 noobs in a PUG it wasn't fun. To make matters worse you were punished for going with your guild as then you didn't get the Luck of the Draw buff.

True. There were a lot of times we would sit at that huge crystal worm (when I was tanking on my pally)....healers would bail....a new one would join after a few minute wait....see the boss...and bail again...this could happen 2-3 times in a row, lol.