spc
Search similar:

uniqs

DCBOY69
@telus.com

DCBOY69

Anon

[Landscaping] How far should my fire pit be away from my gas line

I'm trying to place my fire pit but am unsure of how far or where I can place it I know it's atleast 3 meters from any object but I'm worried about my gas lines I can't seem to find an answer on the internet

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Cincinnati, OH

hitachi369

Premium Member

Like gas lines underground? Those dont really matter, if a small fire above them was an issue, you would know about it.

If its somewhere else, it depends on how its protected.

DCBOY69
@telus.com

DCBOY69

Anon

Ok thanks it's a three foot across pit it's not sunk into the ground any

mityfowl
Premium Member
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX

mityfowl to DCBOY69

Premium Member

to DCBOY69
One trunk of my gas line runs right to the fire pit.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan to DCBOY69

Premium Member

to DCBOY69
Local codes will dictate...

What sort of fire pit? Decorative or for yard clean up, or cooking? Open or enclosed? Wood burning, gas or propane?

For instance, code where I am is 15m from any dwelling, 10m from any other flammable structure; no burning after sundown or before sunrise; and chimineas, and other outdoor fireplaces aren't allowed... But propane or gas appliances are fine, as long as they are installed per manufacturer's specs.

mityfowl
Premium Member
Dallas, TX

mityfowl to DCBOY69

Premium Member

to DCBOY69
15m 49ft.! Wow

Must be some huge yards.
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG to LazMan

Premium Member

to LazMan
said by LazMan:

For instance, code where I am is 15m from any dwelling, 10m from any other flammable structure;

Yikes. Anywhere I've ever lived this would pretty much rule out anyone NOT living on an acreage! The average size of most lots in the city even in suburban areas do not have enough backyard space to accommodate such requirements!

And a lot of people do have fire pits in their backyard, most of them definitely not 15m from the house (impossible with the small size of the backyards) so either the code requirements aren't as strict, or simply go unenforced.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan

Premium Member

Given the number of burning calls I goto during the summer; lots of people around here don't follow the bylaw, either...

We don't go looking for violators - but if we get a complaint call, we respond.

If the homeowner is cool, and puts it out without giving us a hard time, no harm no foul... If they want to argue, well, the fire goes out either way; and it gets expensive fast...

As for the yard size - very few yards around here would be able to have a legal fire, as well.

mityfowl
Premium Member
Dallas, TX

mityfowl to DCBOY69

Premium Member

to DCBOY69
I don't think fire pits were regulated here 25 years ago when I installed mine with the pool.

I'm fairly sure they are now.