BOHICA
Premium Member
join:2009-03-18
Sacramento, CA

Tirael to TigerLord

Premium Member

to TigerLord

Re: [Tech] Humour me on an imaginary 3x4k setup

For gaming (or other things like programming) having a high screen resolution mean having more things shown on screen (even if they are smaller). So the difference is noticeable.

TigerLord

join:2002-06-09
Canada

TigerLord

My triple 30" setup offers a lot of pixel real estate indeed, but there comes a point when there is too much of it.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by TigerLord:

My triple 30" setup offers a lot of pixel real estate indeed, but there comes a point when there is too much of it.

3x30" would be the highest I could go on my desk.... I'd probably prefer 3x27 or 3x28 in complete honesty.

TigerLord

Canada

1 recommendation

TigerLord

In my extensive experience and humble opinion, 3x 27" is really the sweet spot.

I had such a setup for some time but then sold them to get a single 30" for the upgrade to 1600p with two 20" in portrait on each side. I did this to have more of the aforementioned pixel real estate as I needed the room for work purposes.

I can't fathom ever going back to 27" now, but for gaming, I think 27" offers the best of both world. You get 1440p and enough footprint to take advantage of it, and you get an immersive feel on top. Finally, 3x 1400p is easier on the GPU config.

There are some amazing 27" for gaming out there. Something like a QNIX QX2710 Evolution 2 overclocked to 120mhz at 300$ for gaming is though to beat on the value scale.

Pollux7777
join:2010-02-16
Saint Paul, MN

Pollux7777 to El Quintron

to El Quintron
Can someone bring me up to speed on these 4k monitors? I purchased my current monitor about 8 years ago, and have continued to use it through two complete computer upgrades. I never thought about upgrading my monitor.

Are these still new(ish) tech? How much of an image difference are we talking about? Im assuming you need a beefier GPU to push that many pixels?

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

1 edit

El Quintron to TigerLord

Premium Member

to TigerLord
said by TigerLord:

There are some amazing 27" for gaming out there. Something like a QNIX QX2710 Evolution 2 overclocked to 120mhz at 300$ for gaming is though to beat on the value scale.

I managed to get my hands on a ZR2740W a couple of years ago for $499, there's no way I'm going back to a 1080p monitor. I'm actually really interested in the QNIX at that price. (120Hz is a nice bonus too)

At that price, I'm interested in hunting 2 (or three) of these down for a 3x1440p setup while waiting for feasible 3x4k setup.

EQ

TigerLord

Canada

TigerLord

I doubt you'll manage to push 120fps for 3x1440p in something running Cryengine3 or BF4 but you could certainly come close to it with current gen gpus. If high FPS matters to you, then it's definitely a perfect solution. And at 300-400$ a pop, it won't break the bank.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

At 300-400 these things are a steal, I paid $200 more for an inferior (but nonetheless satisfactory) monitor.

EQ

Tirael
BOHICA
Premium Member
join:2009-03-18
Sacramento, CA

Tirael to Pollux7777

Premium Member

to Pollux7777
said by Pollux7777:

Are these still new(ish) tech? How much of an image difference are we talking about? Im assuming you need a beefier GPU to push that many pixels?

Yes these are fairly new in the personal computer realm. It is the same tech that drives 4K TV's though. The resolution is double, you are going from 1080p (or whatever your monitor is) to 2160p. Yes you need a decent GPU with plenty of vram (at least 3GB imho).

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to TigerLord

Premium Member

to TigerLord
I'm going to have to decide if I keep my Auria 27" 1440p and bookend it with two monitors like this: »www.amazon.com/gp/produc ··· KIKX0DER

Or just 3x1080p. What do you think? :-\

TigerLord

Canada

2 edits

TigerLord

When you purchase monitors or figure out display solutions you have to take into consideration every parameter and then prioritize those you feel are more important to you.

I know you don't require the color space of IPS panels for work like I do, nor do you require an elaborate display config for your work. So assuming gaming is your primary concern, let's consider a few things.

For simming (be it racing, flight or space sim), the side monitors add an incredible amount of immersion, but offer a minimal tactical advantage. It's really about losing yourself in the car/plane/spaceship. I would get TrackIR before two more monitors. I feel TrackIR 5 is an incredibly piece of hardware for sim games, a real game changer. It has the same impact on your gaming as upgrading from a platen disk to a SSD. So take this into consideration when you ask yourself "what will those side monitors give me?"

Second thing to consider is the importance of graphics fidelity to you. Again, in sims, you rarely have the chance or time to pixel peep. Your car/plane/spaceship fly too quickly, your attention is all on the road or your target, the scenery is purely a decorative accessory. In those instances, I find 1080p suffices, even on large displays (usually TV) like you see in Bernacules Nerdgasm's video.

If you play games like BF4, Skyrim, or any other FPS/RTS, you DO pixel peep. People mod Skyrim in an attempt to make it photorealistic because they do want to lose themselves in the scenery. They will closely inspect the textures of the rock or the trees or the water. And it will look ugly at 1080p on large displays. Then, 1440p is EASILY justified.

A 3x1 in LLL (L=landscape, P=portrait) is ideal for simming, but 3x1 in PPP for FPS is better. You could always do 5x1 PPPPP with 20" monitors, your dual 290X would handle that very well, and it's quite something to see it in person. The bezels are annoying at first, but you get used to it.

Seeing as you already have a 27", I would advise you look into those QNIX 27" I spoke of earlier. Your dual 290X will definitely handle 3x 1440p, I'm currently playing Elite Dangerous at 3x1600p with everything maxed with two 290x and get 30-45fps.

I don't think you will appreciate the downgrade back to 1080p, and if money is a problem, then add the other twe 27" one at a time as your budget allows it.

3x27" is big enough to offer a lot of immersion which you will appreciate in Star Citizen, while providing enough resoution for a good graphics fidelity in other genres, and I know you play those too.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

What about mixing the Auria IPS with the QNIX PLS? Should I look at ditching the Auria and getting three of these? What are your thoughts on that?

Since I stopped mining I've run into a problem where the computer won't boot or install drivers with both GPUs present. I can game with either one in the first PCIe x16 slot, but when I add the second card, the rig becomes unstable. I've wiped the SSD and reinstalled Windows, so I know it's not a driver error. I'm wondering if the mobo burned out or perhaps one of the cards did. I have yet to try a sole GPU in the second x16 slot, so that may help me narrow it down further.

I haven't aggressively pursued this like I should have as one 290X is good enough for single 1440 gaming, but I do want to finish up my build and watercool both cards. :\

TigerLord

Canada

TigerLord

said by Krisnatharok:

What about mixing the Auria IPS with the QNIX PLS? Should I look at ditching the Auria and getting three of these? What are your thoughts on that?

That is what I was suggesting before, sorry it wasn't clear.

Keep the 27" you have, and add two more 27". Won't matter that they're not identical, I have a U3014 in the center and two U3011 on each side here and I don't notice it.

If the mobo you have now the one you got refurb'd at Fry?

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

said by TigerLord:

If the mobo you have now the one you got refurb'd at Fry?

Not at Fry's (Microcenter and Asus), but yeah. Bought #1, DOA. Replaced for #2 from Microcenter, dead memory channel, #3 worked. Two months later bought an NZXT PSU--after returning the first one and RMAing the second one, I RMA'd my CPU to Intel, #3 mobo to Asus, and the PSU to NZXT for store credit.

So right now I am on Maximus V Formula mobo #4. Trying a GPU only in slot #2 will rule out the mobo. If it does work, it's one of my Sapphire 290X's. One was bought new, the other used, but I could always RMA the used one under the new one's receipt if I am sure it's the problem. I'm just baffled both cards will run the game in PCIe x16 slot #1 just fine, and will game for hours stable. But adding the second card prompts the computer to crash in the middle of driver installation or turning on Crossfire.

I'll have to consider adding two more 1440's. That would be a sweet setup with TrackIR.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron to TigerLord

Premium Member

to TigerLord
By the way, did you get those QNIXes in Canada, or did you order them to a US address and then got them shipped to Canada.

EQ

TigerLord

Canada

TigerLord

I never had them I had HP monitors when I had 27"s.

Are they much more expensive in Canada?

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by TigerLord:

Are they much more expensive in Canada?

So far I'm having trouble finding them at all in Canada.

TigerLord

Canada

TigerLord

I have a mailbox in the US I use a lot. It would cost me 30USD to forward a monitor home. I can help you with that if you want.
me1212
join:2008-11-20
Lees Summit, MO
·Google Fiber

me1212 to Krisnatharok

to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

Auria IPS with the QNIX PLS

Forgive my ignorance and off topicness, but what is the difference between ips and pls? I've only used tn panels because of lower input lag time so I've no idea what ips and pls do differently besides color and better viewing angles, but I am saving up for a 290(or successor) and a 1440p monitor, 4k is 3 or 4 years away imo for normal use.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Twisted nematic (TN)
The main advantages of TN panels are their fast -- usually 2ms (or less) -- response time and their low price. Their major disadvantages are narrow viewing angles, relatively low brightness, and inaccurate color reproduction.

Vertical alignment (VA)
VAs have better viewing angles than TNs, better color reproduction, and typically a much higher maximum brightness. Also, they tend to have the lowest black levels of the four major panel technologies. Unfortunately, a VA panel's response time and input lag are not quite as fast as a TN panel's, and monitors using them can cost anywhere from $400 to $800, and sometimes more depending on the panel's size. Also, you can expect a VA-based monitor's profile to be wider than a TN's.

In-plane switching (IPS)
IPS-based monitors are usually the most expensive; however, monitors using e-IPS panels can cost as little as $150 (for a 22-inch monitor). They also tie with PLS for the best viewing angles of all the technologies and produce the most accurate colors; however, their blacks are not as deep as VA panels'. IPS monitors are the slowest of the bunch in both response time and input lag.

Plane-line switching (PLS)
PLS is a new panel technology from Samsung that debuted with the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 tablet, but the first monitor to make use of the tech was the Samsung SyncMaster S27A850D . PLS panels sport viewing angles as wide as IPS, while offering higher brightness at a lower cost in power consumption. According to Samsung, production costs for PLS panels are 15 percent lower than for IPS, as well.

I believe PLS is best of all worlds for gaming.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron to TigerLord

Premium Member

to TigerLord
PM sent, I have one right now, but I've only used it to download games from Amazon.com, I've never used them to forward an actual package.

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

2 edits

Octavean to El Quintron

MVM

to El Quintron
I don't know if you have actually went ahead and bought a new 2560x1440 monitor or a new 3840x2160 monitor but there may be an alternative option that satisfies your needs but doesn't shunt you into either the 2560x1440 or 3840x2160 camps:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· xNfxRK_4

Thats right,...

LG 34UM95 34" Ultra Widescreen 21:9 monitor at 3440 x 1440 (60Hz),.....

Such a monitor would also significantly lower the necessary GPU prowess to push pixels (with respect to 4K at 3840x2160@60Hz) yet should give you an immersive feel that is virtually palpable.

For what its worth I bought a Samsung U28D590D 28" 4K display and really like it but that doesn't stop me from wanting an LG 34UM95 34" monitor.

»www.lg.com/uk/monitors/lg-34UM95

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

Hmm that is a nice monitor, and would provide for crazy immersion as well.

FWIW: I haven't pulled the trigger yet, on monitors or new GPUs so if that can be driven by 2 GTX670s then it's worth a look.
El Quintron

El Quintron to Octavean

Premium Member

to Octavean
If you don't mind me asking what kind of prices are you seeing on this one? I've only seen it on Amazon.com for about $1500, which is a lot, but not really if you consider that I could keep my existing GPUs and PSU.

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

1 edit

Octavean to El Quintron

MVM

to El Quintron
Indeed,....

I admit to lusting after the thing and have always had an interest in 21:9 ratio monitors. Upping the resolution to 3440x1440 and the size to 34" makes things even better,...

Still, the LG 34UM95 is an IPS monitor aimed at a niche professional market and cost about ~$1500 USD on Newegg, Amazon and the like:

»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· Y1CB7713

»www.amazon.com/LG-34UM95 ··· 4UM95+34

So that might slow your roll a bit when considering this monitor. Especially so when you consider that you could just about buy two 28" 4K monitors like the Samsung U28D590D for that kind of coin (which is 2/3 of what you would need for that triple 4K monitor fantasy setup you started the thread inquiring about):

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· t-Wy6nE8

»m.youtube.com/watch?v=X5 ··· XWqhL9ik

With 4K you still have to deal with the GPU hardware requirements that multiple 4K monitors would demand which wouldn't be cheap.

So while the LG 34UM95 seems expensive at ~$1500 your dual GTX 670 cards should fair really well driving it. Therefore you would save on GPU upgrade costs.

Edit:

4K at 4096x2160 on a 21:9 ratio monitor in the 34” range or larger would be nirvana,…..
Octavean

Octavean to El Quintron

MVM

to El Quintron
I forgot to mention that there are also upcoming monitors that are a little bigger at 32" but use 2560x1440 resolution. Such monitors should be cheaper then 4K and 3440x1440 21:9 monitors::

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· vePMDh3g

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by Octavean:

I forgot to mention that there are also upcoming monitors that are a little bigger at 32" but use 2560x1440 resolution.

I think 27-28" for a 2560x1440 is about as high as I'm going to go, for a 16:9 monitor, I'd have to see the 21:9 in order to determine, but 34" seems about right.

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

Yeah I basically tend to agree with that assessment as well. However, in the past I have used a Viewsonic 32" HDTV as a desktop monitor and recently I tried a Seiki 39" 4K UHDTV as a desktop monitor. I'm not totally opposed to larger displays but ultimately didn't stick with them.

27-28" is good for 2560x1440 IMO but I would like to at least see it at 32". Same goes for 3440x1440 at 34" for 21:9 ratio but I wasn't opposed to 2560x1080 at 29" for 21:9 either.

I think 4K does work reasonably well on 28" monitors but it unquestionably benefits from larger screens as well. Having tried the Seiki SE39UY04 39" UHDTV before the Samsung U28D590D, I can honestly say that the Seiki's size made it easier to see every element on screen at 3840x2160 whereas the Samsung's smaller size makes it more challenging (with respect to reading some text elements). I can only imagine how difficult things must be on something smaller like the Dell UP2414Q 24" at 3840x2160. There are ways to compensate for this in software though,...

BTW, to address your original question about a 3x4K setup:

Single R9 295X2 Handles Lichdom: Battlemage at 3x Ultra HD Eyefinity

That a ~$1500 video card though,.....

Then there is this older but similar configuration:

»www.youtube.com/watch?fe ··· Z9qBxYiw