Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mahicks

join:2001-06-20
Tallahassee, FL
reply to BiggA

Re: [Equip] Re: [Speed] Comcast 2014 Side Discussion about Doubling Speeds

Sorry BiggA. It will not be supported by DD WRT for a VERY long time and I cannot speak for Tomato but unless they decide to actually release some real drivers and code to play with, there are many great "Tomato Friendly" routers out and on the horizon to keep developers busy.

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:4
Let's not throw in the towel yet, the router has only been for sale less then a week and has been in peoples hands even less then that.
--
I'm always up for a good chat and helping with tech problems.

mahicks

Tallahassee, FL
I am not throwing in the towel yet Mike. I really hope someone takes this on a project. However, I helped on some of the DD-WRT ports in the past, especially around drivers and hardware integration and I still keep up with those in the know and it is going to be a very long road at best unless something changes...

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
I'm not familiar with how third party firmware works and all but I'm thinking that when Linksys releases the source code kits and stuff that it'll be a lot easier right?
--

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
said by Mike Wolf:

I'm not familiar with how third party firmware works and all but I'm thinking that when Linksys releases the source code kits and stuff that it'll be a lot easier right?

Well sometimes the open source code may have closed source bits that ether have to be backward engineered or somehow worked around.

Personally sometime ago I wanted an 3rd party firmware for my old BEFVP41 and well there wasn't any interest
--
semper idem
1KTzRMxN1a2ATrtAAvbmEnMBoY3E2kHtyv

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
That is a good point that it the availably of third party firmware is dependent on the popularity in the community.
--

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
If someone made a 3rd party firmware for the BEFVP41 I might still see if I could find the power brick and mess with it (though guess I should just trash my Linksys stuff)
--
semper idem
1KTzRMxN1a2ATrtAAvbmEnMBoY3E2kHtyv

mahicks

Tallahassee, FL
reply to Mike Wolf
Hi Mike. Sorry for the delay in the posts. Long days at work!.
Linksys has already released a lot of "source code" for the new router but unfortunately it was an SDK offering. An SDK is not really open source at all. Its kind of like being given a program to "customize" something but still play within the owners rules. However, the biggest elephant in the room is the fact that nobody has a usable driver for the Marvell chipset. Without a driver, albeit, open source or not it will be a tough port. The current driver from Marvell uses non standard API's so even if you could figure out how to port the thing to 3rd party firmware it would be no different than running windows over Mac OS using a VM...

Like I said before, I really hope someone takes it up as project. I do not have the time and truly do no not have the savvy to do so on my own without someone else doing some serious heavy lifting.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
True, though I'm just waiting for the matching network switch that's supposed to go with the router.
--

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
It's here!!!! »store.linksys.com/Linksys-SE4008···prod.htm
--