spc
Search similar:

uniqs
blkmamba24
join:2014-04-18
united state

1 edit

blkmamba24

[Equip] What combination router and modem for Comcast?

I went back to Comcast for internet service because AT&T was terrible and too slow.

Right now I just have internet, but might get their triple play package in the future. I want to get my own modem and router instead of renting the one they gave me. What combination do you guys recommend?

Thanks.

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

1 recommendation

Chris 313

Premium Member

said by blkmamba24:

I went back to Comcast for internet service because AT&T was terrible and too slow.

Right now I just have internet, but might get their triple play package in the future. I want to get my own modem and router instead of renting the one they gave me. What combination do you guys recommend?

Thanks.

Well, to start with, what did they give to rent? And if you're looking for a combo unit, I strenuously say to avoid all in one units, they can be much more trouble then they're worth.

However, if you're gonna get a TP package in the future, I'd recommend looking into a ARRIS TM822G EMTA. It's a modem/phone unit in one and you can use your own separate router with it.

Look here: »Re: Extreme 150/20 Arrived today and here: »Re: [Speed] Comcast 2014 Side Discussion about Doubling Speeds

Hope that helps you. Do come back if you have anymore issues or questions.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

1 edit

Darknessfall to blkmamba24

Premium Member

to blkmamba24
As Chris 313 has said, if you're getting triple play then a TM822G would be good.

For the router side, I suggest these:
1) What most average users need -
»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· orebbr=1
2) A little more advanced, but not dual band(flip on SpeedBoost mode for 450 Mbps) -
3) A little over what most "average" users need.
4) Higher end device

Another over I don't find necessary unless you have lots of 3 antenna client devices that support wireless AC. Most people don't.

If you find the performance of the gateway decent enough, then you shouldn't need to purchase anything shiny.

bmccoy
join:2013-03-18
Port Orchard, WA

bmccoy to blkmamba24

to blkmamba24
Modems:

If you have triple play:

Arris TM822G

If you have stand-alone internet:

Motorola SB6141

Routers:

On the mid-end, a Netgear WNDR3700 is a good choice if you don't have any wireless AC clients.

On the high-end, an ASUS RT-AC68U (for faster 2.4Ghz/Wireless N client performance), or an Linksys WRT1900AC (for better 5Ghz/Wireless AC performance), would be a good choice if you are willing to pay more, and if you have wireless AC clients.
mogamer
join:2011-04-20
Royal Oak, MI

mogamer to blkmamba24

to blkmamba24
I've been with Comcast for a week now. Comcast gave me a TG862 for my Triple Play package. I've had no problems with it at all and it easily gives me all the speed I'm paying for (105/20). The wireless works as well as my stand alone Netgear router did.