spc
Search similar:

uniqs

dirty face
@sbcglobal.net

dirty face

Anon

2001chevy cavalier z24 car problems [HELP]

My 2001 chevy cavalier z24 2.4L is having problems. I drove it had to pick up speed to pass some cars just suddely lost power and top speed dropped to 80 and couldn't catch up fast but car drove fine, on my way home how ever car just started needing more and more peddle to go, pulled over started to shake and the motor made thumping sounds and shut off but would start to rough idle and wouldn't drive more that say 5 10mphs. Sounds like its starving for air it sputters, jults and when given too much gas shuts off. I got a p0300 code for random misfire, changed the spark plugs changed the plug boots, put in new throttle positioning sensor, put in new fuel filter, I hear the fuel pump switch on when in turn the key, un did both my o2 sensors (up/downstream) started it, no luck, put them back. Been checking for vacuum leaks still haven't found any, replaced upper and lower O rings for injectors, cleaned every single thing that could be cleaned. Checked injector wires, still in sleeves. Still rpm dropped to 500 spats to 1000 sometimes it idels at 1500 spats down to 1000 back to 1500 n up to 2000. Not in a consistent place. I erased the code then let it idle for a bit the only code that comes up is P0300. The car still stalls out jerks, idles rough. Can anyone help me with this problem?

DadeMurphy
Premium Member
join:2002-07-25
Danvers, MA

DadeMurphy

Premium Member

I had an '02 sunfire with the 2.2L engine. With that vehicle I ran into a common issue with the coil packs cracking down the middle on the inside. I'm not sure if the 2.4L had the same issue but you may want to check the coil packs, mine presented in a similar fashion when it cracked.

dirty face
@sbcglobal.net

dirty face

Anon

When u mean cracked in half do u meen between the plates or would it not be visible? Is there a way to test and see if it's faulty?

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds to dirty face

Premium Member

to dirty face
Here you go.

How to Test the Ignition Coils GM 2.4L Quad 4
»easyautodiagnostics.com/ ··· ad_1.php

dirty face
@sbcglobal.net

dirty face to DadeMurphy

Anon

to DadeMurphy
When u mean cracked in half do u meen between the plates or would it not be visible? Is there a way to test and see if it's faulty?

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

said by dirty face :

Is there a way to test and see if it's faulty?

Here is how you test them.

»Re: 2001chevy cavalier z24 car problems [HELP]
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to dirty face

Premium Member

to dirty face
I purchased a 98 z24 new for my wife. Late in the loan somewhere around 2001 i recollect it getting a recall for something ignition related.

DadeMurphy
Premium Member
join:2002-07-25
Danvers, MA

DadeMurphy

Premium Member

I believe that recall was to install relays in the ignition system to reduce the chance of your steering column catching fire due to having the whole electrical system running through it. Not sure if it would relate to the running issues OP is having, but worth looking into as well.
telco_mtl
join:2012-01-06

telco_mtl

said by DadeMurphy:

I believe that recall was to install relays in the ignition system to reduce the chance of your steering column catching fire due to having the whole electrical system running through it. Not sure if it would relate to the running issues OP is having, but worth looking into as well.

yeah all they did on that recall was install a relay to stop you from being able to crank it too long.
MGK645
join:2003-10-15
Warren, MI

MGK645 to dirty face

to dirty face
Sounds like a bad crank sensor or camshaft position sensor, not the same car but I had the exact symptoms on and Dodge Neon - replaced both and car ran smooth again.

FYI on a Neon if the sensors were bad, it could throw the misfire code due to the vibrations.

Just checked - the 2.4l has both sensors - I'd honestly look into those. If they are bad, dont cheap out, get the ACDelco you can get them both on rockauto for about $60.

needspc
@optonline.net

needspc

Anon

Somehow I doubt BOTH senors went bad at the same time... blindly replacing parts does nothing but waste money...

ACdelco btw, it just a parts re brander they don't make anything IIRC. I order some of there crap still but I'm hoping for NOS on my 80's truck.

Anyways OP I would take it to a mechanic, why did you replace o2 sensors, they have nothing to do with making the car run...

I mean, 80% of what you did was useless for the symptoms. Filters are always good, plugs if they were old and wires aint a bad plan but... tps? injector o rings? o2 sensors? All useless for the issue at hand.

You need to hook it up to a scanner if the coil pack checks out okay and see what the car is seeing.

A bad coolant temp senor, Idle air control motor, etc sounds more likely to be the issue than the TPS (something a scanner would allow to be tested) Cars have so much shit on them now its hard to fix with out some kind of scanner.
bigozone1
join:2013-02-08
Corbin, KY

bigozone1 to dirty face

to dirty face
once had the same occur due to failure in either head gasket or lower intake manifold gasket. even same code P0300 random misfire. basically inside the engine the gasket failed and allowed water to dump into one of the cylinders.

hope that isn't your problem.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44

Premium Member

Sounds like the 2.4 i knew and loved, LOL. Peppy little motor but not known to last to long. Top ends were terrible on them. Actually turned out to be the last GM product i ever purchased.