how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jzadroga

join:2014-04-18
USA

[General] CATV over fiber

Hi, I have a client that has a main house and guest house. The main house has Comc ast service but the guest house does not. It is about 300 feet away with a conduit run. We are trying to bring CATV service to the guest house by fiber or wireless but I'm not sure what the choices are that handle broadband service. Is there a wireless solution or a fiber solution anyone is aware of?

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:3

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·Hollis Hosting
·G4 Communications

1 edit
reply to jzadroga
Welcome to BBR.

What services to you want to provide at the guest house: Internet access, TV, phone?

Will the guest house be a separate account? Will Comcast pull cable?

If you intend the share the Comcast account from the main house will need to pull coax for Cable TV and Category 5e or 6 copper or fiber for Internet access. Given the distance fiber is the logical choice.

The links davidhoffman See Profile posted will work to extend Internet access but not TV. Another option is to use something like Silicon Dust or Tivo at the main residence and then use Ethernet to access programming remotely. Feasibility depends on your Cable provider.
»www.silicondust.com/

/tom

jzadroga

join:2014-04-18
USA
reply to jzadroga
Hi. They will be the same account but we want CATV services like on demand and high def as well as networking tied to the main house. Any links to the best sources of the parts that will work?

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada

1 recommendation

reply to jzadroga
Extending baseband over fibre would be crazy expensive.

You'd be best to extend co-ax (RG6 or better yet, RG11) for the video services; and then do wireless or fibre for data...

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
said by LazMan:

Extending baseband over fibre would be crazy expensive.

Not necessarily. The expensive part is burying and terminating it.

As for a wireless link, look into Ubiquiti. They have some GOOD gear at a really good price. I have a pair of Bullet2's that I can shoot at least a couple miles with a solid link. The speeds are rather good, too.

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada

1 recommendation

Extending data over fibre isn't bad, price or equipment wise - it's the baseband video; and back-channel to do VoD that's expensive... Only way I know to do it would be pro-grade RF over fibre gear. Way easier to drag a co-ax drop out, then mucking about with fibre...

Could setup a slingbox in the main house, and extend that over Ethernet, but seems overly complicate; although not nearly as much as cable tv over fibre on premise.

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
You could configure a InfiniTV6 ETH box, plug in a cable card, and stream it over the network for the CATV.

»cetoncorp.com/products/infinitv-6-ethernet/

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Vonage
reply to jzadroga
The internet over fiber part is easy. For video I would either run an RG11 line out there or place a Tivo in the main house and have a Tivo mini out in the guest house connected to the switch that is connected to the fiber>Ethernet converter. Slingbox with a small htpc or mac mini in the guest house would also work.