join:2002-06-22
Atlanta
Apple AirPort Express (2012)
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)
ARRIS SB6183

acadiel

Premium Member

[iPhone] Sprint has "no technological process" to unlock iPhones

With the CTIA order to unlock all devices (for eligible users) by February 2015, Sprint seems to have updated it's unlock policy to weasel out of some:

»www.sprint.com/legal/unl ··· icy.html

Q: I've been told by another carrier that Sprint needs to unlock my SIM slot in order to use my phone on the other carrier's network.
A: ... Specifically, devices manufactured with a SIM slot within the past three years (including, but not limited to, all Apple iPhone devices), cannot be unlocked to accept a different domestic carrier's SIM for use on another domestic carrier's network. Sprint has no technological process available to do this. In accordance with Sprint's voluntary commitment contained within CTIA's Consumer Code for Wireless Service (“Unlocking Commitment”), Sprint is working to ensure that all devices developed and launched on or after February 11, 2015 are capable of being unlocked domestically.

So, they have "no technological process" to domestically unlock the SIM slot? Does this really mean that they just don't feel like asking Apple to do it like T-Mobile, AT&T, etc. does? Technically, this affects the 4S, 5, 5S, and probably 6 (because it will be released before 2/11/15).

I was the understanding that Apple does handle the actual unlock, but the carriers have to actually put in a request, and then Apple does it. (And then, once you connect to iTunes and restore, it tells you the phone is unlocked.) AT&T and T-Mobile will unlock iPhones (under certain conditions), and Verizon ones are already unlocked (except the same excuse as Sprint on the 4S about no domestic unlocks). That leaves Sprint left refusing to unlock every iOS device with a SIM slot they have sold so far.

Can anyone explain to me WHY a simple request to Apple is a "technological process" which Sprint does not possess?

I'm just curious because this whole thing seems so stupid...

Frank
Premium Member
join:2000-11-03
somewhere

Frank

Premium Member

said by acadiel:

So, they have "no technological process" to domestically unlock the SIM slot? Does this really mean that they just don't feel like asking Apple to do it like T-Mobile, AT&T, etc. does? Technically, this affects the 4S, 5, 5S, and probably 6 (because it will be released before 2/11/15).

probably... whatever the technological limitation is...... I dont think its hardware based.

When you get an iphone5 (not 5s) replaced with a refurbished one at the apple store the first screen that pops up is a screen that has you choose the carrier. This screen also says that once you choose the carrier it cannot be undone. If you choose verizon the phone doesnt get simlocked.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to acadiel

MVM,

to acadiel

Re: [iPhone] Sprint has "no technological process" to unlock iPhones

said by acadiel:

I'm just curious because this whole thing seems so stupid...

I think you just summed up Sprint pretty nicely.

I used them from the late 90s until 2010. Around 2007-2008 they started going downhill pretty fast. Very glad I left.

I'm also surprised the CTIA rules make it possible to delay unlocking phones until effectively 2/11/2017 (factoring 2 year agreements). Not sure if that's Sprint's creative interpretation of the rules or how it was actually intended.

As for the process - you're completely correct. Apple offers all carriers an interface to submit IMEI/serial numbers to be put on the "whitelist" that Apple's activation servers use to send unlock approvals. I like how Sprint's FAQ subtly places the blame on the phone itself rather than their own incompetence / greed.

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person
join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA

not quite right to acadiel

to acadiel

said by acadiel:

Can anyone explain to me WHY a simple request to Apple is a "technological process" which Sprint does not possess?

Better yet, Can anyone explain to me why anybody still uses Sprint in the first place?

acadiel
Press fire to begin
Premium Member
join:2002-06-22
Atlanta

acadiel

Premium Member

Only reason I use them is I have unlimited everything for $40 plus tax. Just kind of ticked they are weaseling out of unlocking this 5S.
acadiel

acadiel

Premium Member

Looks like the DSLR front page caught up with this thread a few days late...

»Sprint to Make All Devices Launched After 2/11/15 Unlockable [56] comments