TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel

Problem with Wouxun HT

Yes, I'm aware that "you get what you pay for". That being said...

I've got a Wouxun KG-UV6D which has been acting up a little, in a very strange way.

Every now and then, while receiving a signal from the local 2m repeater on 146.94 the audio will begin to cut out. This lasts for about 30 seconds and the audio gradually comes back. While the audio is cutting in and out, the green light indicating the squelch is broken never turns off. If I switch to a different frequency or to FM broadcast while the audio is cut out, I've got no problem, and returning to the repeater frequency, the audio still cuts out.

When the audio cuts out, it is dead silent, no even a hiss from the speaker.

I've run it through almost all the bench tests I can think of using my communications monitor, and can not get it to fail.

Also, on simplex 146.52 I've never had a problem at all.

It's not the repeater, as no one else has reported any problems.

It's also very intermittent. Some days it doesn't happen at all, but on other days it can be pretty bad.

I'm starting to think it might have something to do with a strong local signal on another frequency (outside the 2m amateur band) that is causing undesired mixing effects in the receiver of the HT.

I think the next thing I will try is to hook up a bandpass filter to the HT and see if that changes anything.

Anyone heard of anything like this before?

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

Like you said, the most probable cause is a nearby strong signal that is desensitizing the receiver to such a degree that you no longer get any audible sound. Nearby in this context meaning geographically, not necessarily a signal at a close frequency.

I have seen those effects with the Baofeng HTs when close to other transmitters.
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

drjim
Premium,MVM
join:2000-06-13
Long Beach, CA
reply to TheMG

IIRC, the speaker is a known weak spot in these.

Replacements are available from DigiKey, Mouser, and others.
--
One man's Magic is another man's Engineering.

SmokChsr
Who let the magic smoke out?
Premium
join:2006-03-17
Saint Augustine, FL
reply to TheMG

I have a Baofeng UV5R that is prone to IM cutouts due to off frequency signals. IE I can barley hear the repeater (if at all) when I drive by an FM station.

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel

Maybe the 2.4kW channel 8 (VHF) DTV transmitter 1.6km away has something to do with it?

It's so strong I don't even need an antenna on my TV. Just the coax with nothing connected on the other end is sufficient to get a good reliable signal with no glitches!

Then again, maybe not, due to the intermittent nature of the problem, it's probably going to be a land mobile repeater in the area or something like that, as the DTV transmitter is constantly broadcasting, so you'd expect the problem to be there all the time.

Could even be more than one source.

I should probably invest in a better HT.

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

Do you use APRS (an easy to overlook source of periodic transmissions) or have a packet radio station that may at times be digipeating (transmissions where you are neither the source nor the ultimate recipient) ?
If the source of the signal is in the same building it doesn't have to be very strong in order to cause trouble.
I'm mentioning those two possibilities since it seems from what I have experienced that packet data is a more "effective" source of interference then voice communications.
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!