Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

plk
Premium
join:2002-04-20
united state

pinger/ transmitter to alert Hog in trap

Looking for a way to be alerted when I got a hog in a trap. I need something like a pinger I can get on the scanner or something and it needs to work about a 1/2 mile thru trees. I thought about a GPS cellular alarm transmitter but its over kill. I do not need gps unless someone steals it I suppose.
Anyone know of some kind of pinger already made that won't cause trouble?
Or a simple circuit I can build to do the trick?
Sure wish I had that one they are looking for.

aSic
application specific
Premium
join:2001-05-17
Wakulla, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast

The radio gods will surely smite me for this... but google is your friend.

»www.amazon.com/Dakota-Alert-Wire···0104QGXA

Reviews report several folks using the above device installed on masts and such and getting ranges of between 1-6 miles between the sensor and receiver. Note this was for driveways and crap, but I am sure the sensor can be positioned in a way and the sensitivity turned down to only alert on something inside the trap. Sensor supposedly has a range of 500 feet. Might come back to a microwaved hog.

Cheers.
--
Teamwork is a lot of people doing what I say.

plk
Premium
united state
reply to plk

Thought about one of those. Had some experience with the shorter range model and it and it was junk. Struggled to work from 100 feet.

aSic
application specific
Premium
Wakulla, FL

Must not have read the description. The one I linked operates on the MURS frequencies (VHF), and it is specifically rated for one mile plus.
--

plk
Premium
united state
reply to plk

I did read the reviews on the model you linked to and they were not very good. Hit and miss on the range and water damage. I think I will still avoid this company's products.

I may try a dog tracking type pinger and a switch on the trap door to activate.

OldCableGuy3

@communications.net

4 stars is "not very good" ??

aSic
application specific
Premium
Wakulla, FL

That's what I thought too, but hey... cant please everyone. At least its not one of those cheap versions at HarborFreight. *shrugs*
--

utahluge

join:2004-10-14
Draper, UT
reply to plk

Another thought to this is a circuit activated signal. The guys setup the the little "pinger" at ham expo's all the time. One wire somehow hooked to tho door so the circuit to the battery is connected and it will automatically start sending out a signal when you got your hog.

Expand your moderator at work