Westville, NJ

3 edits

dolphins

Premium Member

[Speed] Not getting 105Mbps down?

This post was moved out of the Speed Upgrade Report Topic. Sunny See Profile

Westville, NJ

»stage.results.speedtest. ··· 2164.png

I ran a few different tests including ShaperProbe.

Wonder why I'm not getting 105Mbps?
clocks11
join:2002-05-06

clocks11

Re: [Speed] Report Free Speed Doubling Upgrade Here

said by dolphins:

I bet router or wifi adapter limitations. Do you have a gigabyte router, or just 100meg?

whfsdude
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

1 edit

whfsdude

Premium Member

said by clocks11:

said by dolphins:

I bet router or wifi adapter limitations. Do you have a gigabyte router, or just 100meg?

Also keep in mind that even though a router might have a gigabit port, its PPS/firewall throughput might be way less.

K3
join:2008-05-06
Kankakee, IL

K3 to dolphins

to dolphins

Re: [Speed] Not getting 105Mbps down?

I know that when I was upgraded to 105 I had to change my gigabit ethernet card. Go to device manager and find your ethernet card, right click, go to properties then go to advanced. Now scroll down the menu to speed and duplex and switch it to 1 Gbps full duplex if it is not already that. Click ok, restart computer and you should see your full speed. I know that if it is set to auto the speed will be 100 Mbps Full duplex and not give you your full speed. Try that first.

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium Member
join:2001-08-22
Westville, NJ

dolphins

Premium Member

No such animal.

Coelispex
join:2013-06-03
Howell, MI

Coelispex

Then you need to upgrade to a Gigabit PCI card to get more than 100Mbps

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium Member
Westville, NJ

dolphins

Premium Member

OK but I won't give up my XP Pro.

Internetuse
@verizon.net

Internetuse

Anon

Windows also sets limits on what speed we can get. There are a lot of factors that affect the speed. The node, how many people are using the service, hardware, software, all kinds of stuff. Troubleshooting internet speed is the worst problem ever. What you're getting is really good though!

Anoo
@comcast.net

Anoo to dolphins

Anon

to dolphins
Your XP Pro alone will limit your speed as the OS doesn't have optimizations properly set for high speeds.

Worse though is XP has officially hit End Of Life, meaning no more patches or security updates will be released for it.

As such a greater number of viruses and vulnerabilities will now target these systems.
Even with AntiVirus you won't be protected because AntiVirus makers also can't support an End of Life O/S.

I suggest you at the least go to Windows 7 if not 8.1. Skip vista, horrible failure and very slow/bloat

If older HW is your concern I've had some very old machines I got to run Windows 7 shockingly lol and they ran better vs. XP even.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

1 edit

2 recommendations

EG to dolphins

Premium Member

to dolphins
said by dolphins:

Try tweaking it;

»/tweaks

why60loss
Premium Member
join:2012-09-20

why60loss to Anoo

Premium Member

to Anoo
said by Anoo :

Your XP Pro alone will limit your speed as the OS doesn't have optimizations properly set for high speeds.

Worse though is XP has officially hit End Of Life, meaning no more patches or security updates will be released for it.

As such a greater number of viruses and vulnerabilities will now target these systems.
Even with AntiVirus you won't be protected because AntiVirus makers also can't support an End of Life O/S.

I suggest you at the least go to Windows 7 if not 8.1. Skip vista, horrible failure and very slow/bloat

If older HW is your concern I've had some very old machines I got to run Windows 7 shockingly lol and they ran better vs. XP even.

The fact is XP supports a lot of old software/hardware that windows 7/8 don't. I was able to get most of what I wanted by running XP in a VM, but really if the PC has under 2GB of ram and a non dual core CPU then he should buy a new PC to have win 7/8.

XP can do 100mbs just fine, though I agree that on file I/O it is well known that windows 7 wins hands down.

If I were the OP I would be just fine with those speeds. Then again I guess I set my bar really low as a time warner cable customer for 10 or so years. That and I only get 36/6 on blast in a NE market area that says I should get 105/10.

Even though I am not a Linux fan, I would tell him to think about it. Because Microsoft seems to after all this time found a way to really screw up there products to the point that unless you have to use it. You just don't want to thanks to the windows 8 GUI crap and bugs. Also MS Office just blows now.

I use open office now just so I don't have to deal with the BS buggy saving in MS office 2013/365.

I really do think most XP users should think about going to Linux, then Microsoft may start giving a dump about how screwed up windows 8.1 and office is. I mean most of there old software won't work anyway and software is why folks in most cases use windows over anything else. And ease of use got killed in Windows 8 and with windows 7 support ending in 2020 I really do think that Linux would be a better choice for XP users to upgrade to.

OP what you could do is set up Linux as the host and run XP in a VM for your old software. Linux should be able to use your old hard ware just fine.

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium Member
Westville, NJ

dolphins

Premium Member

I'm real close to going back to Linux. I had a dual boot set up on this machine before which somehow corrupted my MBR. That spooked me from reloading Linux but I think I'm willing to give it another go?
dolphins

dolphins to EG

Premium Member

to EG
Your link is broken. If you mean tweaking my modem? It's provisioned by Comcast.

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

1 recommendation

Chris 313 to dolphins

Premium Member

to dolphins
said by dolphins:

Check this out and call it a day: »www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 33156139

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium Member
Westville, NJ

dolphins

Premium Member

Thanks for the link. It's definitely cheap enough.

Just ran a test on my son's laptop using wifi. He's getting over 120Mbps/12Mbps

FAUguy
join:2014-01-22

FAUguy to why60loss

to why60loss
I currently have XP Pro, Vista, Win 7 x64 Ultimate, and Win 8. 99% of the time I use Win 7, as most all my programs are compatible with it. The only time I boot into XP or Vista is if I want to use a particular program I have installed on that partition that isn't compatible with Win 7. And since I hate Win 8, I should just remove the evaluation copy as I never use it.
Between them all, Win 7 is the best for me, fastest, and never crashes.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG to dolphins

Premium Member

to dolphins
said by dolphins:

Your link is broken. If you mean tweaking my modem? It's provisioned by Comcast.

Sorry. Try it now. Tweaking has nothing to do with the modem. The XP o/s is what gets tweaked. The RWIN parameter in the TCP IP stack has always been too small. This tweak has helped many many people over the years to get better download speeds. YMMV. Good luck !

why60loss
Premium Member

why60loss to FAUguy

Premium Member

to FAUguy
said by FAUguy:

I currently have XP Pro, Vista, Win 7 x64 Ultimate, and Win 8. 99% of the time I use Win 7, as most all my programs are compatible with it. The only time I boot into XP or Vista is if I want to use a particular program I have installed on that partition that isn't compatible with Win 7. And since I hate Win 8, I should just remove the evaluation copy as I never use it.
Between them all, Win 7 is the best for me, fastest, and never crashes.

I agree windows 7 is good, but support ends 2020 telling an XP user to pay for an upgrade for a OS that will only now last 6 more years feels kind of dumb. A lot of programs will work on windows 7 if you know the right setting's, but it can be a real pain in the butt. Windows 8.1 broke a bunch of stuff that worked on windows 7.

For the 25% that are still on XP, I really do feel like they should use Linux as windows 7 still does break a lot of stuff and windows 8 is just trash.

Again I am not a Linux fan as I mostly run windows 7 that I have had for the past 5 years, but if I were an XP user looking at what has happened to windows, I would jump on to the Linux train.

I have had windows 98, 2000, XP vista, win 7, win 8/8.1 and will say this is the best time windows users who are still mostly using XP to get off the windows train.

I only use windows due to my gaming hobby. If I was just doing day to day stuff, I would likely be trying out Linux as host. Kind of like I only use stream because most PC games are now infected with it's DRM. Though most don't seem to know that because they are all on the steam DRM sale train.

Oh look it's only 12.95 when it used to be 50 lets buy it on steam because it's only a 2 hour sale. (Me, orders on amazon.com for 9.99 gets disk in mail and doesn't give a crap about "sales".)

MDA
Auto Negotiating
Premium Member
join:2013-09-10
Minneapolis, MN
Netgear CM600
Asus RT-AC66U B1

4 edits

1 recommendation

MDA to dolphins

Premium Member

to dolphins
The actual problem is XP doesn't use a multicore CPU efficiently like Vista and later. You may see more than 1 cpu graph with a multicore processor in the Task Manager, but all its doing is taking those CPU speeds combining them to simulate one supercore/thread.

This is no benefit for games (audio and video run out of sync) and the network stack can't benefit from RSS since workload is not being divided evenly like in newer OSes.

As said before, you would need a dedicated gigabit NIC card to get past the CPU issue (unless you upgrade your OS), and to manually tweak XP's TCP window and its TCP/IP features (because Vista and later do it automatically).

In my opinion, if one thinks Vista was a complete failure, they are one of those people that went back to XP even before the first service pack or didn't even use it and are just saying that from what the grapevine told them. Service pack two for Vista was basically the same as Windows 7.

However, nothing to benefit for staying on Vista now unlike before Windows 7 was out. Windows 8/8.1 (as much as people hate it for its interface) use WAY less memory (try like 1.2gb out of my 8gb at startup). Even with Aero forced off, Windows 7 uses more memory (1.8-2gb on this Windows 7 laptop I'm currently typing on). Shutdown time is 4-5 seconds. Half of any previous OS I used. Windows 8/8.1 may not look easy to navigate (a learning curve), but it's performance is at least 20% better than even Windows 7.

In summary, if you plan to stay on XP pro, your doing nothing but limiting your performance.

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

1 recommendation

Chris 313 to dolphins

Premium Member

to dolphins
said by dolphins:

Thanks for the link. It's definitely cheap enough.

Just ran a test on my son's laptop using wifi. He's getting over 120Mbps/12Mbps

You're welcome. That's what you could get if you take EG's recommendation to tweak XP and replace your NIC card with a Gigabit version. Impressive, no? Going from 91.58 to the 120s is worth it, eh?
nine9s2
join:2005-02-09
Richmond, TX

nine9s2 to dolphins

to dolphins
Should your upload be almost twice what you show above? My Blast gets over 12 upload.

why60loss
Premium Member

1 recommendation

why60loss

Premium Member

said by nine9s2:

Should your upload be almost twice what you show above? My Blast gets over 12 upload.

He likely lives in the NE market where blast should be 105/10.

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium Member
Westville, NJ

dolphins

Premium Member

said by why60loss:

He likely lives in the NE market where blast should be 105/10.

That's correct!
pandora
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Outland

pandora to dolphins

Premium Member

to dolphins
Well on my 16/2 starter business I get this

»stage.results.speedtest. ··· 1904.png

Napsterbater
Meh
MVM
join:2002-12-28
Milledgeville, GA
(Software) OPNsense
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO

Napsterbater to Coelispex

MVM

to Coelispex
said by Coelispex:

Not all Gigabit adapters have the option of manually setting Gigabit because technically it is against the standards for Gigabit Ethernet.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to MDA

Premium Member

to MDA
said by MDA:

You may see more than 1 cpu graph with a multicore processor in the Task Manager,

It might not be as good at using multiple cores but it does balance them

2k and XP are multi threaded OS'es
DarkLogix

DarkLogix to Napsterbater

Premium Member

to Napsterbater
Get an intel gig card and turn on RSS (receive side scaling) it'll split the load over all your cores at a driver level

also tweak the Rwin setting

Morac
Cat god
join:2001-08-30
Riverside, NJ

Morac to dolphins

to dolphins
The 90's is about the max of what I can get on that speed test as well on my quad-core I7 Windows 7 Laptop (less on iPhone 5S), even over WiFi-N. My router is Giga-ethernet compatible (Linksys E3000) as is my Modem (Motorola SB6141). Strangely I was able to get around 125 Mbps on a Shaperprobe test, but most of the time I don't get anywhere close to that.
clocks11
join:2002-05-06

clocks11

I had to upgrade my equipment to AC to get full speeds.

Coelispex
join:2013-06-03
Howell, MI

Coelispex to Napsterbater

to Napsterbater
said by Napsterbater:

said by Coelispex:

Not all Gigabit adapters have the option of manually setting Gigabit because technically it is against the standards for Gigabit Ethernet.

Then he can't get more than 100Mbps on his 10/100 card. See the logic there?