uniqs
share rss forum feed

adam_s

@teksavvy.com
reply to SimplePanda

Re: Cannot upgrade to 150/10 service??!

said by SimplePanda:

Sigh.

Another day, another "Rogers won't allow my basically obsolete 4 channel modem on their network at the highest possible speeds even though it can technical handle it because who cares about everyone else on my node I demand my $99 investment be a good one forever" thread.

Not like this isn't discussed ad nauseum.

The modem is capable of 150/10 speeds, but Teksavvy/Rogers won't allow it. That's forced obsolescence.

And you can't lay all of the blame on Rogers.. some of it (debatable how much) falls to Teksavvy, in that they *force* you to buy the modem. If it was a rental, you could trade it in for a newer model at no extra charge.

Viral

join:2011-09-10
Windsor, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
Looks like you got into the Technical Specifications manual.
I'd do some reading on how the relationship works between TPIA and Incumbents before continuing this thread.

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
kudos:5
reply to adam_s
said by adam_s :

some of it (debatable how much) falls to Teksavvy, in that they *force* you to buy the modem. If it was a rental, you could trade it in for a newer model at no extra charge.

Yeah ok so TekSavvy should absorb all of the costs even though they had nothing to do with the changes in modem requirements. Good luck finding a TPIA provider who will.

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5
reply to adam_s
said by adam_s :

The modem is capable of 150/10 speeds, but Teksavvy/Rogers won't allow it.

While it may be THEORETICALLY possible to do 150Mbps on a quad-channel modem, in practice you would never reach anywhere near this speed because those QAMs are shared with the 100 or so subscribers on your node.

So, Rogers allowing the 150Mbps profile on quad-channel modems would simply cause people to go from bitching about Rogers not allowing it to people bitching about "not getting the speed they paid for."

SimplePanda
Go Habs Go
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to adam_s
said by adam_s :

said by SimplePanda:

Sigh.

Another day, another "Rogers won't allow my basically obsolete 4 channel modem on their network at the highest possible speeds even though it can technical handle it because who cares about everyone else on my node I demand my $99 investment be a good one forever" thread.

Not like this isn't discussed ad nauseum.

The modem is capable of 150/10 speeds, but Teksavvy/Rogers won't allow it. That's forced obsolescence.

And you can't lay all of the blame on Rogers.. some of it (debatable how much) falls to Teksavvy, in that they *force* you to buy the modem. If it was a rental, you could trade it in for a newer model at no extra charge.

The modem is -barely- capable of 150/10 speeds; just over 160Mbps down in ideal circumstances.

And if they let you and everyone else with a 4 channel dinosaur have 150Mbps you'd all be back here complaining about how you never get anywhere close to that speed during peak hours as you all cram the the node on each other.

4 channel modems can't get 150 Mbps service. This is a good thing, not a bad thing.

As for rentals: what's the point? It's a $99 device. If they charged you $8 a month it'd be paid off in just over 12 months and then you'd be paying for nothing after that. Instead you could just buy a $99 modem every couple years (as you say you already got three out of your model-T) as you upgrade tiers.