uniqs
share rss forum feed

nicknack

join:2004-12-25
Wynnewood, PA

1 edit
reply to IowaCowboy

Re: [Equip] I think I'm going to need a new router

Instead of spending hundreds on a new router, you can continue to use the old router. For less than $10 on Amazon, just stick a wireless adapter (less than size of a quarter) into a USB port of your computer. It won't be connected by wire to a non-gigabit port on your router, but will now be connected wirelessly with (capable) speeds up to 300.

Darknessfall
Premium
join:2012-08-17
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse

said by nicknack:

Instead of spending hundreds on a new router, you can continue to use the old router. For less than $10 on Amazon, just stick a wireless adapter (less than size of a quarter) into a USB port of your computer. It won't be connected by wire to a non-gigabit port on your router, but will now be connected wirelessly with (capable) speeds up to 300.

That's not his problem. His problem is that his WAN is 100 Mbps since it's the WNDR3400.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to nicknack

Like I said, the computers aren't the issue. They have wireless cards that are N compatible up to 300 Mbps. A 2011 MacBook Pro is definitely going to have wireless capabilities at least 300 Mbps if not more. The only computer I have that still has 802.11 b/g is a 2003 MacBook Pro and I can't remember the last time I fired that up.

The problem is the bottleneck is between the router and the modem as it's only fast Ethernet and not gigabit Ethernet.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner and I currently have DirecTV. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.