Search similar:

uniqs

sm5w2
Premium Member
join:2004-10-13
St Thomas, ON

sm5w2

Premium Member

Is it legal to privately retain cremated remains in Ont?

And now for something completely different - eh?

The death of a distant relative (and the news that they were cremated) got me looking into some info about cremation, and one thing that I'm not clear about is whether or not we have the legal right to retain cremated remains indefinitely (think urn on fireplace mantle).

There is much consideration given to where ashes can be spread, interred, or stored (by a cemetary) and *I believe* it is also legal for individuals to scatter remains on private property and crown lands in Ontario, but I can't find anything that says that private retainment is recognized as "final disposition of human remains" - while burial or entombment (of a body) or scattering (of ashes) is.

My second observation is that there is a lot written about buying and selling "scattering rights". Why is there such a preoccupation with scattering rights to the point of treating it like a tradable asset?

Finally, why does it seem to be somewhat uncommon (or not done at all?) to have a visitation (viewing) in a funeral home - and then have the body cremated (no funeral procession, no burial, etc) ? Or have I just not had enough people in my life get cremated when they die?

The Funeral, Burial and Cremation Services Act of 2002 can be found here (for reference):

»www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/htm ··· 33_e.htm

Also see this: Consumer Information Guide to Funerals, Burials And Cremation Services:

»www.sse.gov.on.ca/mcs/en ··· ide.aspx

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS

said by sm5w2:

And now for something completely different - eh?

The death of a distant relative (and the news that they were cremated) got me looking into some info about cremation, and one thing that I'm not clear about is whether or not we have the legal right to retain cremated remains indefinitely (think urn on fireplace mantle).

Yes, the family does. The decision is that of the executor of the estate.

There is much consideration given to where ashes can be spread, interred, or stored (by a cemetary) and *I believe* it is also legal for individuals to scatter remains on private property and crown lands in Ontario, but I can't find anything that says that private retainment is recognized as "final disposition of human remains" - while burial or entombment (of a body) or scattering (of ashes) is.

quote:
“human remains” means a dead human body and includes a cremated human body; (“restes humains”)
Scattering has to be done within a designated area within a licensed cemetery, on private property with the owner's consent or on Crown land, including water.

You are right. Keeping grandma on a shelf is not considered "final disposition".

My second observation is that there is a lot written about buying and selling "scattering rights". Why is there such a preoccupation with scattering rights to the point of treating it like a tradable asset?

Two reasons. Incredible amounts of money are involved here. Plots in urban centres can be sold for tens of thousands of dollars.

The second is to bring order into what is often a completely chaotic situations and to make clear what can or can not happen. You may not remember the "wild west" days of funeral and cemetery property sales, but I do. Very, very well. The legislation is there to prevent abuses and people being taken advantage of at a vulnerable time.

Finally, why does it seem to be somewhat uncommon (or not done at all?) to have a visitation (viewing) in a funeral home - and then have the body cremated (no funeral procession, no burial, etc) ? Or have I just not had enough people in my life get cremated when they die?

I officiate at several dozen funerals a year. What you suggest is not uncommon. Many people wish to have a service (religious or not). Many do not. I am seeing a lot fewer traditional funerals and a lot more cremation/memorial services or, sadly, direct disposition with no gathering at all.

zacron
Premium Member
join:2008-11-26
Frozen Hoth

zacron

Premium Member

DKS.. are you a Reverend?

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

1 recommendation

DKS

said by zacron:

DKS.. are you a Reverend?

That's the honourific, yes.

zacron
Premium Member
join:2008-11-26
Frozen Hoth

zacron

Premium Member

Thank you for your dedication to human greatness!