uniqs
jacknva
Premium Member
join:2003-07-15
Springfield, VA

jacknva

Premium Member

Rev E Logon Problem

I have had a Verizon Actiontec MI424WR-Rev-E router for 4 years or so using FIOS.

It is configured with a non-trivial user name and password. However, that pair is no longer is recognized.

I want to reconfigure the router to use WPA2 wireless (it's now WPA because of an old laptop). I've upgraded the laptop to Vista and that supports WPA2. I'd like to convert all systems to WPA2.

Unfortunately I can't log on to the router. I am concerned that if I reset the router to factor configuration it may not work. So, I ordered a Rev F model from ebay but I can't get that to connect to the internet. It was cheap. I'd also like to block uPNP, as Steve Gibson recommends. I could not accomplish that on the newer, used router.

My wife and I love wireless and I'd hate to loose it for a few days if the existing router is caput. It powers on normally with the requisite lights.

Should I take a chance and reset or try another router? If the latter, recommendations are appreciated.

Verizon was not much help "reset!".

Thanks in advance.

Jack

nycdave
MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY

nycdave

MVM

Why do you think a factory reset will not allow the router to work? If you factory reset the router, you will be allowed to change the GUI username/password within the first 5 minutes. Otherwise, the GUI password will default to the router's serial number. Factory resetting erases any custom port forwarding rules, but it is perfectly safe to do.

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to jacknva

MVM

to jacknva
said by jacknva:

It is configured with a non-trivial user name and password. However, that pair is no longer is recognized.

If for some reason the router was reset, the logon would go back to admin and the serial number of the router. Have you tried that combination? If that combination doesn't work, then try a hard reset and that combination again.

If you still can't logon, then the router is probably fried. Have VZ ship you another one. You will probably get a refurb rev. I or rev. F.
said by jacknva:

if I reset the router to factor configuration it may not work

As nycdave See Profile said, the router will work after a hard reset unless the router is fried.
said by jacknva:

I'd also like to block uPNP

UPNP settings can be accessed via a hidden page:
»192.168.1.1/index.cgi?ac ··· age=6059
But what's the point if the rev. F can't access the internet?