spc
Search similar:

uniqs
RouterRooter
join:2001-11-22
Rockville, MD

RouterRooter

[Comcast Equip] DCX3400 errors halted by quick disconnect

Couple year old DCX3400 connected by a 3:1 splitter (TVs) after a 2:1 splitter (for Arris HSI / voice gateway).

SNRs on all channels GOOD (mostly 35-36dB, down to 34.x on occasion). OOB also GOOD at 23dB and 11% AGC level. (Tried this with / without a Motorola amp before the 2nd split. No change.)

Last few months a couple channels get mild pixelization sometimes. Correctable errors in the hundred-thousands and uns in the low hundreds. SNRs on both tuners are still at 35-36 even as the errors register. The bad channels cluster around 60-80 MHz.

OK, here's the clue: If I disconnect the incoming cable for a couple seconds from the back of the DVR, the errors go to solid 0000 for several hours after I reconnect, and no picture problems. Within a day, the errors start again.

100% reproducible. What is this telling me? Bad box? Bad wiring? Obamacare?

Thanks.
Expand your moderator at work
RouterRooter

RouterRooter

Problem was likely heat-related

Well, I tried all the suggestions offered. I must say there was not a bad idea among them!

The actual problem appears to be heat-related, which all the posters somehow missed. You'd think with all the responses someone would have hit on it.

Even though the DCX3400 seemingly runs very cool compared to earlier generation DVRs, apparently some component was getting too warm in my enclosed cabinet. I see the max temp (which appears to be from the beginning of time since even a POPO doesn't reset it) reached 142 at some point. This is apparently at the HDD, but is a clue. After I moved a couple cooling fans to the DVR section of my cabinet, the temp stays at a constant 99F and the errors have gone back to 0000.

As for the RF cable unplug/plug giving temporary relief, I had noticed ever since my first-gen satellite HD receiver that decoding HD signals seems to stress the chips and cause overheat problems like crashes and slow response. I speculate that the HD decoding was doing the same 12 years later to my DCX and that removing the cable signal obviously let the chips idle and cool down.

RR