All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Kamakzie
join:2001-08-13
Cedar Springs, MI

Kamakzie

[Availability] How accurate is AT&T's order site?

I was looking at AT&T's site last night and it says I have AT&T DSL available. I confirmed my address something chat representative and he said it was indeed available. The problem is I've had this happen before it wasn't actually available. I live about 3 miles outside of my town that has DSL but I haven't seen any remote terminals go up around the area. The chat rep said I could get the Elite package. He was trying to hard sell me to sign up because of availability but I told him I was going to check things out first.

weaseled386
join:2008-04-13
Edgewater, FL

weaseled386

Not seeing them doesn't mean they're not there!

1. You could be extended from the CO.
2. There could be a CEV that you're not aware of... these are buried underground.
3. Maybe even a CEC that you don't recognize... these structures are partially buried with the top 1/2 to 1/3 above ground.
4. Something could have been installed in an existing cabinet.
5. In my area we actually have 3 garages! BellSouth purchased three houses, and turned the garage into RT's. The houses are then rented to friends & family of ATT.
6. I know of several office spaces that are purchased/rented and turned into RT's.

Kamakzie
join:2001-08-13
Cedar Springs, MI

Kamakzie

I'm having them double check availability at the AT&T direct forum. Now the order site says I have to call for ordering so I'm guessing it was a glitch.
Kamakzie

Kamakzie

Really wonky tonight. Actually got the order page to work again and actually did an order and credit check and got to the end and it got an error telling me to call in.. sigh.

mixdup
join:2003-06-28
Alpharetta, GA

mixdup to Kamakzie

to Kamakzie
I have also noticed wonky behavior with the AT&T DSL site. I have been trying to investigate availability for my mother who will be moving soon to an area without cable. We live in a former BellSouth area, and AT&T recently killed the old BellSouth FastAccess page, and now the response you get about availability seems completely dependent on the roll of a 20-sided die.

When she's ready to actually get connected I'm just going to call in and talk to someone on the phone. Since it's a new house I'm expecting to have to have POTS installed first and then later check into DSL availability.