why60loss
Premium Member
join:2012-09-20

1 edit

why60loss

Premium Member

[Speed] Operating System War

said by MDA:

The actual problem is XP doesn't use a multicore CPU efficiently like Vista and later. You may see more than 1 cpu graph with a multicore processor in the Task Manager, but all its doing is taking those CPU speeds combining them to simulate one supercore/thread.

This is no benefit for games (audio and video run out of sync) and the network stack can't benefit from RSS since workload is not being divided evenly like in newer OSes.

As said before, you would need a dedicated gigabit NIC card to get past the CPU issue (unless you upgrade your OS), and to manually tweak XP's TCP window and its TCP/IP features (because Vista and later do it automatically).

In my opinion, if one thinks Vista was a complete failure, they are one of those people that went back to XP even before the first service pack or didn't even use it and are just saying that from what the grapevine told them. Service pack two for Vista was basically the same as Windows 7.

However, nothing to benefit for staying on Vista now unlike before Windows 7 was out. Windows 8/8.1 (as much as people hate it for its interface) use WAY less memory (try like 1.2gb out of my 8gb at startup). Even with Aero forced off, Windows 7 uses more memory (1.8-2gb on this Windows 7 laptop I'm currently typing on). Shutdown time is 4-5 seconds. Half of any previous OS I used. Windows 8/8.1 may not look easy to navigate (a learning curve), but it's performance is at least 20% better than even Windows 7.

In summary, if you plan to stay on XP pro, your doing nothing but limiting your performance.

said by why60loss:

Windows 8.1 broke a bunch of stuff that worked on windows 7.

For the 25% that are still on XP, I really do feel like they should use Linux as windows 7 still does break a lot of stuff and windows 8 is just trash.

There's that grapevine again...

Everything I had installed on Vista I have installed on Windows 8.1 Pro. What broke?

You really think what I am saying is smoke. I used Windows visa on it's 2nd SP and it still sucked. It would lock up and reboot on it's own 2 times a week right out of the box. Windows 8.1 broke a lot of the setting's that would allow older software to work. Try setting it to act like windows 95. Oh wait you can't that's only on windows 7.

Even then windows 8.1 doesn't handle older stuff well at all nor do many drivers play nice with it. Just ask my DVD drive that worked on windows 7 but not windows 8.

I used Visa every day for over a year before going to the windows 7 beta that only MS devs could get and even it worked better than visa because it was like SP3 of it.

Oh and that shutdown isn't a real shutdown and that will make issues later on trust me.

You are really telling him to buy new hard ware just to maybe get a 10% boost on download speed. That's just stupid.

Can you tell or sell me on why should someone on XP upgrade to windows 8.1 when none of the old stuff will work and most software made now is cross pat and would run on Linux.

I get the feeling most windows 8.1 users are just butt hurt and want to make every one else do the same thing they did to make them self's feel better.

Sent from a Windows 8.1 PC.

MDA
Auto Negotiating
Premium Member
join:2013-09-10
Minneapolis, MN
Netgear CM600
Asus RT-AC66U B1

1 edit

MDA

Premium Member

Re: [Speed] Not getting 105Mbps down?

said by why60loss:

You really think what I am saying is smoke. I used Windows visa on it's 2nd SP and it still sucked. It would lock up and reboot on it's own 2 times a week right out of the box. Windows 8.1 broke a lot of the setting's that would allow older software to work. Try setting it to act like windows 95. Oh wait you can't that's only on windows 7.

Time to stop using Win95 software? it's kind of outdated... there's probably an emulator for that Win95 game.
said by why60loss:

Even then windows 8.1 doesn't handle older stuff well at all nor do many drivers play nice with it. Just ask my DVD drive that worked on windows 7 but not windows 8.

Buy a quality DVD drive? My 40$ Liteon iHOS-104 Bluray drive worked on Vista and it works on Windows 8.1...
said by why60loss:

Oh and that shutdown isn't a real shutdown and that will make issues later on trust me.

What? Right-clicking Start and pressing "Shut-down" isn't a shutdown? It's fast enough where I don't need to think about a hard shutdown.
said by why60loss:

You are really telling him to buy new hard ware just to maybe get a 10% boost on download speed. That's just stupid.

It goes beyond the topic. No one should need to be on XP anymore.
said by why60loss:

I get the feeling most windows 8.1 users are just butt hurt and want to make every one else do the same thing they did to make them self's feel better.

Sent from a Windows 8.1 PC.

Um.. you just made fun of yourself there sir (by the way *themselves*). I have no regrets switching from Vista to Windows 8.1.

why60loss
Premium Member
join:2012-09-20

why60loss

Premium Member

So not only do you want folks to buy new hardware but to run a crap load of emulators for the long list of stuff windows 8.1 broke.

I shouldn't have to buy a new DVD drive when it works just fine on windows 7 and is only 2 years old.

Yep I maybe butt hurt, but unlike some I don't try to lead others down the same path as me and tell them how great my choice is when I made a mistake.

It looks like they did add a windows 95 option in the latest update, but still doesn't fix a lot of very basic issues that me and others I know have with the software.

If you don't understand how the windows 8 shutdown system works, then I don't even want to debate that issue as it would be a waste of time.

No one should need to upgrade from XP as well if they don't feel like paying out the butt for a less stable OS that won't work with most of the old software no matter what you do.

If you say buy new hardware, software and OS. Why windows 8 over Linux? I would love to hear it, because unless he is playing games most software is made for both windows and Linux now.

He even said him self he wants to go back to Linux. So tell me why he should go to windows 8 VS Linux that he already knows about?
System

to why60loss

Anon

to why60loss
This topic has been closed. Reason: Unsuitable for forum