uniqs

Red Hazard
Premium Member
join:2012-07-21
O Fallon, IL

Red Hazard

Premium Member

PhonePower Lengthy Call Setup

I recently replaced GV with Phonepower's $60 special and when I test it by calling my cell phone, it takes a full 12 seconds before courtesy ring-back commences and then cell phone rings just after the second ringback. When I call the same cell phone using VOIPo (also on another OBI202), ring-back starts in just ~2 seconds and cell phone also rings after 2nd ringback which is acceptable IMO. I live about 25 miles east of STL and VOIPo's server is in Dallas while Phonepower's is in LA. I find the PP call setup period really bad. Comments/advice? I got no response on the OBI forum.
RonR
join:2003-10-10
Ash Flat, AR

RonR

Does dialing a '#' after the last digit reduce the wait time to 2 seconds? If so, you've probably got an xx.rule in your DigitMap that's causing the additional 10-second wait.

Red Hazard
Premium Member
O Fallon, IL

Red Hazard

Premium Member

Yepper. That did the 2 second trick. However, I don't have a clue what the xx.rule is or how to fix it. I just used the OBI wizard to switch from GV to PP.
RonR
Ash Flat, AR

RonR

The dial plans (DigitMaps) generated by the OBiTalk web portal and those recommended by VoIP providers for the OBi are terribly sub-optimal. If you describe your overall configuration (what providers you have on which SP, your primary line, etc.) as well as your dialing preferences, I'll try to suggest more appropriate settings (after I come back from dinner).
OzarkEdge
join:2014-02-23
USA

OzarkEdge

said by RonR:

The dial plans (DigitMaps) generated by the OBiTalk web portal and those recommended by VoIP providers for the OBi are terribly sub-optimal.

Does this opinion include the firmware's default rules? I'm preparing to review/tweak them over time as required, so anticipating their initial value might be helpful, at least until I get some working experience to judge for myself.

OE

Red Hazard
Premium Member
O Fallon, IL

Red Hazard to RonR

Premium Member

to RonR
Is there a primer explaining the Digitmaps on the web?
Phone 1 & 2 are both SP1 and PhonePower ITSP (A). SP2 - SP4 currently not used. 618 area code. Prefer not to dial area code for numbers in area code. I did note if I used the area code when dialing cell phone that it went to 2 secs also. I'm on F/W build 4041 and OBI202 will not let me update.
RonR
Ash Flat, AR

1 edit

RonR

said by Red Hazard:

Is there a primer explaining the Digitmaps on the web?

»www.obihai.com/docs/OBiD ··· uide.pdf
said by Red Hazard:

Phone 1 & 2 are both SP1 and PhonePower ITSP (A). SP2 - SP4 currently not used. 618 area code. Prefer not to dial area code for numbers in area code.

I didn't find any specifics on dial plans at PhonePower's web site, but this should do 7-, 10-, and 11-digit dialing plus x11 and international:

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile A -> DigitMap : ([2-9]11S0|<1618>[2-9]xxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|1xxxxxxxxxx|011xx.)

If you get into the habit of terminating all dialing with a '#', processing will always start immediately.
said by Red Hazard:

I'm on F/W build 4041 and OBI202 will not let me update.

You're about 6 releases behind. The current version is 3.0.1 Build 4330. There shouldn't be a problem updating to the latest. From the phone, simply dial ***6. Failing that, you can try manually updating through the OBi's local interface. The OBi's IP address can be found by dialing ***1. You can log in with your web browser using a username/password of admin/admin if you haven't changed it. Firmware updates are accomplished at:

System Management -> Device Update -> Firmware Update

The firmware update file can be downloaded at:

»fw.obihai.com/OBi202-3-0 ··· -4330.fw
RonR

2 edits

RonR to OzarkEdge

to OzarkEdge
said by OzarkEdge:

said by RonR:

The dial plans (DigitMaps) generated by the OBiTalk web portal and those recommended by VoIP providers for the OBi are terribly sub-optimal.

Does this opinion include the firmware's default rules?

Yes.

The |xx.| rule serves no purpose other than to cause 10-second dialing delays. It allows any arbitrary number of any length to be dialed, which negates most of the validation done in other rules. Except for unknown/variable length international numbers (prefixed with 00 or 011), xx. rules should be avoided like the plague.

The [^*#]@@. rule is equally bad as it allows any arbitrary number to be dialed that doesn't start with '*' or '#'. It was added to support SIP URI dialing, but should be [^*#]@@.'@'@@. instead if SIP URI dialing is needed.

Red Hazard
Premium Member
O Fallon, IL

Red Hazard to RonR

Premium Member

to RonR
Thanks. I wonder why ***6 told me there were no updates available which made me reluctant to update.
RonR
Ash Flat, AR

RonR

said by Red Hazard:

Thanks. I wonder why ***6 told me there were no updates available which made me reluctant to update.

If there is an Internet outage between the OBi and the OBiTALK web portal when you dial ***6, the OBi will report that no update is available.

Red Hazard
Premium Member
O Fallon, IL

2 edits

Red Hazard to RonR

Premium Member

to RonR
This is what is currently in the Service Providers ITSP A DigitMap: (**|[3469]11|0|00|1xxxxxxxxxx|[2-9]xxxxxxxxxS0|*21|*53xxxx|*6[27]xx.|*[789]2xx.|*73|*74[0-1][0-9]*xxxxxxxxxx|*75[0-1][0-9]|011xx.|xx.|(Mipd)|[^*#]@@.|1xxxxxxxxxx|[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|011xx.|xx.|(Mipd)|[^*#]@@.)

Do I replace all these rules with what you provided or do I somehow interlace them somewhere? (Thanks) I also note that the OBI202 has the same DigitMap elsewhere such as under the Setup Wizard. Is that important?

Addendum: I updated the F/W build manually as recommended. (Dashboard updater would not work either). Don't have a clue what it changed though.
OzarkEdge
join:2014-02-23
USA

OzarkEdge to RonR

to RonR
said by RonR:

The |xx.| rule serves no purpose other than to cause 10-second dialing delays. It allows any arbitrary number of any length to be dialed, which negates most of the validation done in other rules. Except for unknown/variable length international numbers (prefixed with 00 or 011), xx. rules should be avoided like the plague.

The [^*#]@@. rule is equally bad as it allows any arbitrary number to be dialed that doesn't start with '*' or '#'. It was added to support SIP URI dialing, but should be [^*#]@@.'@'@@. instead if SIP URI dialing is needed.

Thank you, RonR. I suspected it would be worth diving into the nuances of maps and routes to confirm and optimize them as needed.

OE
RonR
Ash Flat, AR

RonR to Red Hazard

to Red Hazard
said by Red Hazard:

This is what is currently in the Service Providers ITSP A DigitMap: (**|[3469]11|0|00|1xxxxxxxxxx|[2-9]xxxxxxxxxS0|*21|*53xxxx|*6[27]xx.|*[789]2xx.|*73|*74[0-1][0-9]*xxxxxxxxxx|*75[0-1][0-9]|011xx.|xx.|(Mipd)|[^*#]@@.|1xxxxxxxxxx|[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|011xx.|xx.|(Mipd)|[^*#]@@.)

Do I replace all these rules with what you provided or do I somehow interlace them somewhere? (Thanks) I also note that the OBI202 has the same DigitMap elsewhere such as under the Setup Wizard. Is that important?

The DigitMap above is a complete mess. Totally replace it with the one I posted and see how you do.
said by Red Hazard:

Addendum: I updated the F/W build manually as recommended. (Dashboard updater would not work either). Don't have a clue what it changed though.

None of us do. Obihai doesn't tell us what they changed or what they fixed.

Red Hazard
Premium Member
O Fallon, IL

1 edit

Red Hazard

Premium Member

It does not keep the change. I hit submit then reboot after I make the change but when I log back in, the old rules are still here. I guess the provisioning permissions need to be messed with but which?
Update...OK I disabled Auto Provisioning for Obitalk Provisioing, then made the calling plan change with yours and it seems to be working good now. Cell phone Rings in about 5 secs. Will provide update in a few days. THANKS for all your time and expertise.
RonR
Ash Flat, AR

RonR

If you want to configure the OBi directly instead of via the OBiTALK web portal, you must disable Auto Provisioning:

System Management -> Auto Provisioning -> ITSP Provisioning -> Method : Disabled
System Management -> Auto Provisioning -> OBiTalk Provisioning -> Method : Disabled

Red Hazard
Premium Member
O Fallon, IL

1 edit

Red Hazard

Premium Member

OUR posts passed each other on the information highway. My update to the preceding post posted a second before your instructions for disabling the auto provisioing. I only disabled the Obitalk provisioing and that seemed to be enough to force the change.