spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

clocks11

join:2002-05-06

[Apps] HBO GO & Comcast

I know they block Roku and some other devices. What devices do work with HBO Go and Comcast? Or is there a easy Roku workaround? Thanks

blastgo

@comcast.net

[Apps] Re: HBO GO & Comcast

It works fine with Chromecast, Apple TV, Xbox 360 and of course any laptop through HDMI which the young kids these days seem to prefer. I for one like to watch my HBO Go on Chromecast but do have the other options available. I'm not sure why Roku is singled out but I believe they are just "too" competitive to Comcast with all their content? Hopefully Comcast lets Roku have it as a requirement for this TW deal but who knows. Good luck.

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
reply to clocks11
Unless the manufacturer has made a special deal with Comcast, HBOGo typically will be disabled on most TV-connected devices.

clocks11

reply to clocks11
I have 2 Roku 3s, a FireTV, yet it sounds like I'll be buying an AppleTV for this. Crazy.

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to clocks11
Click for full size
The Roku website shows HBO GO as a channel, or am I missing something?

»www.roku.com/channels#!details/8378/hbo-go

I just installed it on my roku, but can't check right now if it's working.
--
CheckSite.us | YourIP.us | Reverseip.us

wTheOnew

join:2012-03-09
You can get the channel no problem, Comcast just wont let you authorize it.

Go take a look at the list of cable providers for the Roku, Apple TV, PS3, etc and notice that Comcast is really the only one that has HBO Go and doesn't authorize it for the Roku.

Since Comcast hasn't given a legitimate reason for blocking the Roku, I have to assume Comcast is either getting paid off by the manufacturer of one of the other devices or it's a solely punitive restriction on 'cord cutters'. Think about how asinine the second one is considering you have to have a cable subscription to get HBO Go, so that leaves the only probable answer as Comcast is getting paid off by someone to screw us.

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
kudos:2
Gotcha.

Guess it's just another way for them to protect their video business. Oh well. One day they'll see the error of their ways.

jmn1207
Premium
join:2000-07-19
Ashburn, VA
kudos:1
It seems Comcast would have you rent a cable box, or at least use a device that is somehow in partnership with Comcast. I'm sure they would prevent my Chromecast from streaming HBO Go if they could.

AVonGauss
Premium
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL
It's definitely partially Comcast, but let's not forget, HBO could also make the content available by additional means as well.

train_wreck

join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by AVonGauss:

It's definitely partially Comcast, but let's not forget, HBO could also make the content available by additional means as well.

could they though? i wonder if some agreements between HBO and the cable carriers forbid HBO from releasing their content via other means. i've always figured that HBO would want to release their content online/through other ways.

wTheOnew

join:2012-03-09
said by train_wreck:

said by AVonGauss:

could they though? i wonder if some agreements between HBO and the cable carriers forbid HBO from releasing their content via other means. i've always figured that HBO would want to release their content online/through other ways.

I've always assumed this. Pretty hard for HBO to have a standalone HBO Go subscription if Comcast and others say they'll stop carrying it all together. That's speculation though.

But really, if you look at the other 75+ cable providers that can do HBO Go on ALL devices, it's pretty hard for me to blame anyone other than Comcast for this topic.

tomrainking

join:2010-03-29
Gibbstown, NJ
reply to clocks11

Re: [Apps] HBO GO & Comcast

I got PlayOn for Roku 3...it was about $40 for a lifetime subscription. That's how I get hbogo and youtube (among others) on the Roku 3.

jmn1207
Premium
join:2000-07-19
Ashburn, VA
kudos:1
Yes, but the quality isn't as good in most situations, at least with Hulu Plus web only shows that I sometimes stream via PlayOn. The media server I use is essentially a powerful gaming system, but we are at the mercy of the online stream, which is usually a bit of a hit or miss and generally looks bad on a big HD television. Tried watching a couple episodes of Vikings season 2, and any action scenes with a lot of motion were a mess. I'll just wait for it to be available with my Amazon Prime subcription, where at least the picture quality is more consistent.

Using my iPad or LG G2 phone with my Chromecast offers the best picture quality for HBO Go. It looks better than the Comcast HD picture does watching it live.

clocks11

I do have a PlayOn license, but am leaning towards buying a Chromecast or AppleTV refurb for $75. I may wait a bit though, as it sounds like Apple may be due to release an update to the Apple Tv soon.

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15
reply to wTheOnew

Re: [Apps] Re: HBO GO & Comcast

said by wTheOnew:

said by train_wreck:

said by AVonGauss:

I've always assumed this. Pretty hard for HBO to have a standalone HBO Go subscription if Comcast and others say they'll stop carrying it all together. That's speculation though.

But really, if you look at the other 75+ cable providers that can do HBO Go on ALL devices, it's pretty hard for me to blame anyone other than Comcast for this topic.

An article on the Consumerist site yesterday:

Here’s What It Would Take For The U.S. To Get Standalone HBO Go Service
By Chris Morran, Consumerist - August 4, 2014
»consumerist.com/2014/08/04/heres···service/