Search similar:

uniqs

Ashar
@rogers.com

Ashar

Anon

[Other] Running Ethernet

Hey all,

I want to run ethernet through my house and I've been reading up on guides on how to do it. One thing that I have noticed is that the cables they have don't have the RJ45 ends on them. My local tech hobby store sells long spools of cable with RJ45. My question is: do I need to strip the ends to hook it up to the keystone thing or is there some kind of adapter that will convert my cables from a male to female?

Thanks.

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium Member
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA

shdesigns

Premium Member

Punch the wire down onto keystone jacks. Then use patch cables to your devices.

The wire will be solid, so you want all its connections to be fixed. Then flexible (stranded) patch cables are used.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt to Ashar

MVM

to Ashar
The cables you are describing are called patch cables.

The correct way to installed Structured wiring is to obtain bulk cable (solid not stranded wire) and run it between a central location to individual jacks as needed. At the central location install a patch panel. That is simply a bunch of RJ45 jacks mounted together.

Use patch cords (stranded wire) from network equipment (router, switches, etc) to patch panel and from each jack to computers. Patch cords are stranded to provide flexibility.

To terminate cable to jacks use a punchdown tool, it is not necessary to strip the insulation first. You will also need a jacket ripper, this makes a precise cut to the outer jacket so it can be removed neatly.

/tom

Ashar
@rogers.com

Ashar

Anon

So I cannot use Patch cables to wire my house with ethernet?

Thespis
I'm not an actor, but I play one on TV.
Premium Member
join:2004-08-03
Keller, TX

1 recommendation

Thespis

Premium Member

You can, but stranded cable is more expensive than solid core, and punch downs are easier and faster than crimping on RJ45s. (You're going to have a much harder time fishing cable with the connectors on.)

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall

MVM

said by Thespis:

You can, but stranded cable is more expensive than solid core, and punch downs are easier and faster than crimping on RJ45s. (You're going to have a much harder time fishing cable with the connectors on.)

Case in point, my brother tried doing this in his house. He was using wall plates that allow you to plug in the end and then plug in a patch cable on the other side. This worked pretty well, but the wall plates were not very good. The cable runs started losing connectivity. He eventually did punch down connectors and that worked a lot better.

I ran cables myself and then punched them down in the wall plates and in a patch panel in the basement in my house. That was about 14 years ago. I haven't had a cable run go bad.
tomdlgns
Premium Member
join:2003-03-21

tomdlgns to Ashar

Premium Member

to Ashar
i agree with what others are saying, however, i think this is what you are asking...

»www.vetco.net/catalog/im ··· WT-4.jpg

you can purchase wall plates with keystone rj45 couplers.

personally, i wouldn't do that, but the product does exist.
pb2k
join:2005-05-30
Calgary, AB

pb2k

Don't ever use those. Every connector and jack you add degrades/reflects the signal and is a point of failure.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall

MVM

said by pb2k:

Don't ever use those. Every connector and jack you add degrades/reflects the signal and is a point of failure.

I agree. My brother used those and had issues with the cabling. After he cut the ends off and punched them down, everything worked fine.
LLigetfa
join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON

1 recommendation

LLigetfa to Ashar

to Ashar
IDC (punch downs) are normally designed for solid wire and should not be used with stranded. RJ45 plugs come in solid, stranded, and universal types. I don't trust universal and prefer to match the right plug to the right wire.

Modus
I hate smartassery on forums
Premium Member
join:2005-05-02
us

Modus to Nightfall

Premium Member

to Nightfall
Do you have any pics ? i'm actually in the process of doing the same thing. i'll try & post what i have tomorrow.