spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Lewy7
join:2010-11-03

Lewy7

VOIP Provider With Good Quality From Israel To USA

Hi,
I'm looking for a provider with good quality making outgoing calls from Israel to US.
It would probably help if I could figure out Toastman's Tomato QOS rules, but I never figured out how to do it.
Thanks
nitzan
Premium Member
join:2008-02-27

nitzan

Premium Member

Any US-based provider will work:
CallCentric
Voip.MS
Future Nine
etc.

See reviews here: »/gbu/

We (Future Nine) have a calling card access number in Israel by the way, so that may be of interest.

Chretien
@op-net.com

Chretien to Lewy7

Anon

to Lewy7
said by Lewy7:

Hi,
I'm looking for a provider with good quality making outgoing calls from Israel to US.
It would probably help if I could figure out Toastman's Tomato QOS rules, but I never figured out how to do it.
Thanks

Callcentric is an Israeli-owned company so they probably have tweaked the Israel-USA route to make sure it is reliable and clear-sounding.
Lewy7

Lewy7 to nitzan

to nitzan
I understand from your reply that here is no advantage in having a server in Israel or nearby. In the past I used GV with an Obi, and occasionally LocalPhone or CallCentric. GV has been pretty bad (you get what you pay for), and the others also had issues.
Thanks
Stewart
join:2005-07-13

Stewart to Lewy7

to Lewy7
You have been having VoIP quality issues for years: »[General] Please help with VOIP quality!

You tried many providers, including top rated CallCentric. It's clear that the trouble is with your network setup, Internet line, or ISP.

You need to do some proper troubleshooting and objectively determine what's wrong.

As a start, with Wi-Fi turned off and everything disconnected from your modem/router except one VoIP device, is the quality ok? If not, the problem can't possibly be related to QoS.

Please describe your current network setup, in case it has changed over the years.

What non-VoIP voice services do you have? Can you make free or inexpensive local calls?
Lewy7

Lewy7

said by Stewart:

You have been having VoIP quality issues for years: »[General] Please help with VOIP quality!

You tried many providers, including top rated CallCentric. It's clear that the trouble is with your network setup, Internet line, or ISP.

You need to do some proper troubleshooting and objectively determine what's wrong.

As a start, with Wi-Fi turned off and everything disconnected from your modem/router except one VoIP device, is the quality ok? If not, the problem can't possibly be related to QoS.

Please describe your current network setup, in case it has changed over the years.

What non-VoIP voice services do you have? Can you make free or inexpensive local calls?

I am currently in the US and will be getting back to Israel in a couple of weeks so I will have to wait until then to try to figure out where the problem is. Thanks for the help. I will post again when I get back there.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to Chretien

Premium Member

to Chretien
said by Chretien :

Callcentric is an Israeli-owned company so they probably have tweaked the Israel-USA route to make sure it is reliable and clear-sounding.

Where does THAT come from??

CallCentric is operated and owned by New Yorkers, some of whom were born here, some of whom have been born elsewhere (eg Russia) but all of whom are Americans as far as I know.

Anveo is similarly owned by someone born in Russia who is now an American.

-----

MagicJack after a buyout/merger is now legally an Israel based company [VocalTec]. Maybe that's what you were thinking of.

Chretien
@op-net.com

Chretien

Anon

said by PX Eliezer1:

said by Chretien :

Where does THAT come from??

I don't get it: If the OP was asking about a Pakistan-USA connection, and I had said the owners of Callcentric were Pakistanis, would you have said "Where does THAT come from??" with two question marks no less?

I mean, forgetting about whether the statement was correct or not, why the astonishment??

CallCentric is operated and owned by New Yorkers, some of whom were born here, some of whom have been born elsewhere (eg Russia) but all of whom are Americans as far as I know.

It is possible that I read somewhere that they have dual Israeli-USA citizenship.
mrdialup
join:2013-11-17

1 edit

mrdialup to Chretien

to Chretien
said by Chretien :

Callcentric provides calling to countries not exactly on speaking terms with Israel. »www.callcentric.com/find/rate/

N9MD
Too busy to chat
Premium Member
join:2005-10-08
Boca Raton, FL

N9MD to Chretien

Premium Member

to Chretien
said by Chretien :

said by Chretien :

I don't get it: ... "Where does THAT come from??" with two question marks no less?

... why the astonishment??

... because you are an anonymous poster ... and many of us are long-time posters who know the identities and backgrounds of the principals/owners/top management of just about all of the VoIP providers discussed recently and over the years in this Forum.

'Mistakes' (and anonymity) are allowed ... but those of us who know the actual facts may sometimes express 'astonishment' (not anger or disdain, just astonishment) when an incorrect statement is made 'out of the blue'.

You may be thinking of Future-Nine whose owner does have a 'connection' to Israel ... or to Magic Jack, as mentioned above, which is now owned by an Israeli telecommunications company.

Chretien ... I am not being critical in a bad sense ... I am just responding to your question: "'Where does THAT come from??' with two question marks no less?"
Lewy7

Lewy7 to Stewart

to Stewart
said by Stewart:

Just noticed that you reffered to that old post. I didn't remember posting it. Anyway, there have been changes over the years, and there were times that the quality was OK, bu for some time it has not been good. as I already posted, I will follow your instructions when I get back to Israel.
Thanks
nitzan
Premium Member

nitzan to Lewy7

Premium Member

to Lewy7
said by Lewy7:

I understand from your reply that here is no advantage in having a server in Israel or nearby.

Whichever way makes the internet path and delay shortest is best. A server in Israel will probably not increase quality because it still has to travel to the US anyway. If your ISP connects to NY directly then a server in the US would give the best quality, but if your ISP connects through Europe then a European server might actually provide better quality.
Lewy7

Lewy7

said by nitzan:

said by Lewy7:

I understand from your reply that here is no advantage in having a server in Israel or nearby.

Whichever way makes the internet path and delay shortest is best. A server in Israel will probably not increase quality because it still has to travel to the US anyway. If your ISP connects to NY directly then a server in the US would give the best quality, but if your ISP connects through Europe then a European server might actually provide better quality.

Thanks for that info. How would I check if my ISP is connecting through Europe or not?
nitzan
Premium Member

nitzan

Premium Member

Try opening a DOS window and typing the following command:
tracert future-nine.com

You'll see the internet path it takes - if you're not sure feel free to post it here and we'll translate it for you.
Lewy7

Lewy7

said by nitzan:

Try opening a DOS window and typing the following command:
tracert future-nine.com

You'll see the internet path it takes - if you're not sure feel free to post it here and we'll translate it for you.

Will do that when back in Israel. Thanks again.
Lewy7

Lewy7

OK. I had someone in Israel who uses the same ISP run the command. Here is the output

Tracing route to future-nine.com [64.251.23.244]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 17 ms 16 ms 17 ms BB-127-117.neto.net.il [212.76.127.117]
2 16 ms 17 ms 17 ms 213.151.32.222
3 18 ms 18 ms 17 ms 213.151.32.188
4 70 ms 70 ms 70 ms te0-0-0-17.201.rcr21.fra06.atlas.cogentco.com [1
49.11.21.129]
5 70 ms 69 ms 71 ms be2306.mpd21.fra03.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.74
.81]
6 171 ms 170 ms 171 ms te0-4-0-0.ccr21.dca01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54
.42.121]
7 184 ms 182 ms 181 ms be2170.mpd21.atl01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.31
.105]
8 196 ms 195 ms 196 ms be2124.ccr21.mia01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.24
.246]
9 196 ms 196 ms 197 ms te2-1.ccr01.mia08.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.83.
18]
10 196 ms 196 ms 196 ms 38.104.90.50
11 219 ms 202 ms 206 ms ge2-edge.mia.infolink.com [64.251.0.38]
12 196 ms 196 ms 196 ms future-nine.com [64.251.23.244]

Thanks
jlk440
join:2008-11-30
Romney, WV

jlk440

Based on FRA being the airport code for Frankfurt, that looks like your route. The other names are definitely routers in Washington DC, Atlanta, and Miami. I traced a route from my Washington DC vicinity to your ISP's router in Israel, and it similarly went through Cogent routers FRA03 and FRA06.

josephf
join:2009-04-26

josephf to Lewy7

to Lewy7
Your ISP is directly connecting to the U.S.
Lewy7

1 edit

Lewy7 to jlk440

to jlk440
said by jlk440:

Based on FRA being the airport code for Frankfurt, that looks like your route. The other names are definitely routers in Washington DC, Atlanta, and Miami. I traced a route from my Washington DC vicinity to your ISP's router in Israel, and it similarly went through Cogent routers FRA03 and FRA06.

said by josephf:

Your ISP is directly connecting to the U.S.

Not sure if both of you agree that there is a direct connection to the US. josephf states verry clearly that there is a direct route, while jlk440 seems to say that it is going through Frankfurt. Please clarify.
Thanks

josephf
join:2009-04-26

josephf

Hop 3 is the last Israeli IP. From there it goes directly to Hop 4, which is a US IP issued by ARIN to Cogent (originally PSINet), one of the major US Tier-1 ISPs.

Edit: Upon further lookup of 149.11.21.129 (Hop 4), some geolocation services are reporting it to be in Frankfurt, Germany, as jlk440 indicated. (Others say it is in the US, but Germany seems more plausible.) Apparently Cogent assigned its US issued IP to its German location and that's where your connection is headed.
jlk440
join:2008-11-30
Romney, WV

jlk440

Possibly adding to the evidence of hops 4 and 5 being in Europe: my pings to them are over 100 ms, while my pings to North American locations like Vancouver or LA are usually under 90 ms. (For UK's london.voip.ms I get 82 ms.)
jlk440

jlk440 to josephf

to josephf
»www.cogentco.com/en/netw ··· ng-glass

For Test, choose IPv4 Ping (etc.). For Router Location I tried DE-Frankfurt. For Hostname/IP I used 149.11.21.129, and the result is about 1.1 ms, so it's right there. Very handy tool, with a wide range of router locations you can run tests from.
nitzan
Premium Member

nitzan to Lewy7

Premium Member

to Lewy7
You're going through Europe, so a VOIP provider with a European server (with a direct connection to US carriers) will give you the best quality. Ones I can think of:
Localphone
Anveo
Voip.MS
and of course Future Nine (our europa.future-nine.com server)
Lewy7

Lewy7

Thank you everyone for the help.
To make things a little more complicated, any chance I would have better quality with ooma, or will that be problematic because of European hop. The only reason I would consider it is the lower cost long term (besides the cost of the device), and hopefully less tweaking along the way. We use the phone quite a bit and I don't know if 2000 outgoing is enough unless I have family in the US call me back every time assuming I have free incoming. On the other hand if I go with one of the mentioned providers and take the time to tweak QOS maybe I won't have to spend time tweaking it afterwards. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks
nitzan
Premium Member

nitzan

Premium Member

Quality-wise they should be OK, but keep in mind Ooma is not unlimited either - they have a 5000 minutes/month limit, and incoming is counted towards the limit.

If your usage is that heavy, you're better off just getting two accounts and splitting usage between them - that way you won't get in trouble over heavy usage.
Lewy7

Lewy7

@nitzan
Thanks again for all your help. I will take another look at your plans.